Spice & Wolf Review

Keep in mind I watched S&W a couple of years ago, so giving a neat review is impossible for me. Anyway, I'll try to keep this as organised and spoiler-free as I can :D

So....

Finding a random naked girl sleeping in your cart is something many people may have fantasized about, but, let's be honest, it's not the most likely thing to happen. However, in Spice & Wolf, it's the reality Lawrence must face. And to make things even more bizarre, said girl possesses a pair of animal ears and a bushy tail, making her look like a human-canine hybrid. If the reaction you're expecting from Lawrence is severe nosebleeding (which could be justified in this case) then you'll be disappointed. He, instead, faces the issue much more realistically. He questions the stange girl, named Holo, and refuses to believe her claims of being a harvest wolf-godess unless she proves it... which she does.

After the shock of this revelation passes, Lawrence must make a decision: Wheather or not to accompany Holo to her homeplace in the north. Now, no story can ever start if the main character doesn't make that important, life-changing decision, right? Right! And that's how Lawrence and Holo embark on an unexpected journey to the northern lands, in hopes of finding Holo's long-lost friends.

Their travels spans 2 seasons but are never completed as the anime is but a drop in the sea of the adventures of Lawrence and Holo. Based on Isuna Hasekura's light novels, the Spice & Wolf anime gives you only a taste of the whole series (which I'm currently trying to obtain)

WHY WATCH SPICE & WOLF?

S&W, although it holds a high place in the MAL anime ratings, is not an anime for everyone. I've ever only met one person who disliked it, but it made me realise that S&W can be hard to follow sometimes. What I mean is, Spice & Wolf is a very dialogue-heavy anime. And it's not always comprehensible. The characters spend a good deal of time discussing economics, ways to make more profit etc. and honestly, you need to have certain knowledge on the topic to follow it through fully. For me, the difficult dialogues didn't ruin the fun of the anime. Instead, it made it all the more intriguing. However, many may get discouraged or bored, which is the reason I'm giving this warning. If you get past the hard part, S&W is a very enjoyable anime, with lots of fun and action, taking place in a fantasy world that resembles medieval Europe.

S&W also has quite good animation and character designs (Holo is good waifu material ;) ) as well as beautiful backgrounds. It does seem to have some flaws, though.... like this, which seems to be fairly popular among fans :P (tbh I hadn't noticed it until someone mentioned it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0ZO382l6xg

Finally, as far as I remember, S&W had pretty nice openings and endings that suited the anime well. The first ending was a very cute song in english and I sing it even now XP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo_wVKQMSBc

Overall rating: 9/10

I still need to finish this title. I got halfway through and quit watching it for some reason. It's weird because at the time I absolutely loved it.

I still need to finish this title. I got halfway through and quit watching it for some reason. It's weird because at the time I absolutely loved it.

tbh I left a big gap between season 1 and 2 as well but, honestly, you need to finish it! I command you to do so :D

tbh I left a big gap between season 1 and 2 as well but, honestly, you need to finish it! I command you to do so :D

Well if you insist. :D

• Like 1

• Geano locked this topic