A Silent Voice (Koe no Katachi)

Yuuki_Radosian

[FLOAT_LEFT]68O60ueGTFAYfzHhmEyElxlVWQ9HyuKuuhTHHaRVrBU.thumb.jpg.36e203f03acc6bd0d1b4bb8984203fcc.jpg [/FLOAT_LEFT]

Release Date: 17 September 2016

Plot: A deaf elementary school girl, Shoko Nishimiya, upon transferring, meets a boy named Shoya Ishida in her new class. Shoya, who is not deaf, leads the class in bullying Shoko, because she is deaf. As the bullying continues, the class starts to bully Shoya for bullying Shoko. After graduating from elementary school, Shoko and Shoya do not speak to each other… until later, when Shoya, tormented over his past, decides he must see Shoko once more. Shoya wants to make amends for what he did in elementary school and be Shoko's friend.

sourced from Anime News Network

I have been waiting for this film since I finished the manga for Koe no Kataachi, the story is brilliant and beautiful, it shows so many sides of people and why we do the things that we do and how badly we can hurt one another as well as our never ending capacity to forgive.

Please let me know if you have read the manga or intend to watch the film adaptation and what you think of it.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I'm really looking forward to watching this film. I've actually had the manga on my backlog for quite some time now as well. Movies are quite slow to get translated though, so it might be a bit before I'm able to see it.

• 8 months later...

I'm going to revive this thread like a professional necromancer. :smirk:

Anyway, I just finished watching this movie cuz it was shown in my country's cinemas recently.

I have to say, this is absolutely beautiful. The price I paid to watch it in the big screen was definitely worth it.

On a side note, Shoko is so cute, how could anyone bully that cute creature?

It's just incredible, so many feelings - emotions. I will have to re-watch until i stop cry at every scene, especially then when she tries to actually speak, so cute aff. It's so touching how this movie has end, i'm sure this has set a message to all those people who bully their class mates, everything comes back at a certain point.

Edited by Guest

• 5 weeks later...
To be honest, there are so many missing plot (some of them are quite important for the story development) in the movie

I take it that you read the manga?

I have not seen this movie, but the original manga was pretty good.

I take it that you read the manga?

I have not seen this movie, but the original manga was pretty good.

Yeah I read the manga and watch the movie

It's not bad, but in my point of view, the movie's motive is just to increase the sell of the manga. There are so many unanswered points in the movie

It's not bad, but in my point of view, the movie's motive is just to increase the sell of the manga. There are so many unanswered points in the movie

That's pretty much how a lot of anime adaptations are, especially with the tired trend of 12-13 episode shows, not that it makes it any better.

What were some of things that were omitted?

UPDATE: I went searching around, and for anyone wondering the same thing I did, this video should explain what I was asking about, as the person in the video has seen the movie and read the manga.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAMQxBeMU4s

Edited by Guest
  • Agree 1

I think this is one of those films where cutting things out of the manga, actually kind of works. Yeah in the long run you can argue there's less content here than in he manga, but the argument is as old and tired as limiting episodes of things like this when they get a season of anime dedicated to them. The parts that are cut off from the manga for this animated films are not important to this part of the story, because in the end this is all about a guy who makes mistakes that he regrets and wants to make up for them. A thing we can all relate to, but that we don't often get the chance to do. The parts that are missing from the manga are only important because they get concluded in that manga, where as here, the only parts brought up from the manga for the film are solved. Calling this movie, if anyone would do that, because it's missing parts of the manga, is like calling Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings Trilogy bad because it didn't have Tom bombadil or show Mary killing an Olog-hai troll. We know that not to be true, so there no reason to think otherwise here. It's not the same, but it still tells a complete, and honestly emotional journey through the life of a child who's matured and wants to do what he can to make up for his best transgressions as best as possible, despite being criticized and hated for it sometimes even more harshly than what he himself did in the past.

• Like 3

I don't know if there's a difference between the manga & the film ? should I give a try to a film or it's the same as the M?

I finished the manga 3 months ago and I have to admit it , it was impressive , I thought that it was childish in the beginning , but as soon as I started it I couldn't stop , I think that the characters personnalities were realistic , that's what made the manga so good according to me.

I even reconginized myself in some situations concerning Ishida, this Manga shows how people can be hypocrite sometimes.

I don't know if there's a difference between the manga & the film ? should I give a try to a film or it's the same as the M?

I finished the manga 3 months ago and I have to admit it , it was impressive , I thought that it was childish in the beginning , but as soon as I started it I couldn't stop , I think that the characters personnalities were realistic , that's what made the manga so good according to me.

I even reconginized myself in some situations concerning Ishida, this Manga shows how people can be hypocrite sometimes.

Depends, you might enjoy the movie, but I never saw it, so I cannot say for sure.

• Agree 1

Okay, so I finally watched this last night.

Before watching: I had ridiculously high expectations. I try not to do this when opting to watch a film or series because then I always find that at some point, it does not meet up. However, I heard so many people compare this to Kimi no Na wa, saying that it was actually a better film overall by comparison. I loved Kimi no Na wa. So. Since so many people said it was better, of course I was itching to watch it. I also found that the plot/concept was really sweet. I figured it would be one of those bittersweet films I love, much like 5 cm per second, which is on my top favorites as far as animated films.

After watching: I found that I did like this film a lot, HOWEVER, I would not go as far as to say that I liked to more than Kimi no Na wa. I find that film to be far superior to this one. I felt like this film left out quite a bit in regards to story development. I have read that the people who read the manga first, also found slight disappointment for similar reasons. Granted, this often times happens when animated adaptations of manga becase you can't necessarily fit every single thing into a film. But I felt like there were some parts that skipped around a bit. And this was a bit disappointing to me. Still, I found the film to have a very deep and beautiful meaning. It was also very relateable to me personally, and there were a few moments where I actually cried a bit. I absolutely love Shoya's character as I found him the most relateable to me. I think his development would have been better emphasized on in the film. The animation was beautiful. I liked the soundtrack.

Overall, I'd give it a solid 7.5/10.

• Like 3

Before watching: I had ridiculously high expectations. I try not to do this when opting to watch a film or series because then I always find that at some point, it does not meet up. However, I heard so many people compare this to Kimi no Na wa, saying that it was actually a better film overall by comparison. I loved Kimi no Na wa. So. Since so many people said it was better, of course I was itching to watch it. I also found that the plot/concept was really sweet. I figured it would be one of those bittersweet films I love, much like 5 cm per second, which is on my top favorites as far as animated films.

After watching: I found that I did like this film a lot, HOWEVER, I would not go as far as to say that I liked to more than Kimi no Na wa. I find that film to be far superior to this one. I felt like this film left out quite a bit in regards to story development. I have read that the people who read the manga first, also found slight disappointment for similar reasons. Granted, this often times happens when animated adaptations of manga becase you can't necessarily fit every single thing into a film. But I felt like there were some parts that skipped around a bit. And this was a bit disappointing to me. Still, I found the film to have a very deep and beautiful meaning. It was also very relateable to me personally, and there were a few moments where I actually cried a bit. I absolutely love Shoya's character as I found him the most relateable to me. I think his development would have been better emphasized on in the film. The animation was beautiful. I liked the soundtrack.

Yeah, the hype for a series or movie does kind of kill things. It certainly led to my disatisfication of Attack on Titan, along with things were not great about it.

I also hate when things are not emphasized as strongly as they need to be, even though I do understand the need to cut things out, but the people that do handle the adaptation do not always seem to know what should and should not be cut out, but I am glad you found the film enjoyable.

If you get the chance, I would suggest checking out the manga, but that is up to you.

• Agree 1

Yeah, the hype for a series or movie does kind of kill things. It certainly led to my disatisfication of Attack on Titan, along with things were not great about it.

I also hate when things are not emphasized as strongly as they need to be, even though I do understand the need to cut things out, but the people that do handle the adaptation do not always seem to know what should and should not be cut out, but I am glad you found the film enjoyable.

If you get the chance, I would suggest checking out the manga, but that is up to you.

I definitely plan on checking out the manga, so I can at least fill in some of the gaps. Because genuinely, I really did like this film and the overall concept.

It's reassuring to read this. I watched A Silent Voice a few days ago and had the same opinion as you do. It was very good, but not the ultimate masterpiece that some make it out to be. It was an emotional experience and that is an achievement, but I was not close to crying at any point in the movie. So, it's good to see your opinion, instead of being left wondering if I'm dead inside or something.

• Like 2

It's reassuring to read this. I watched A Silent Voice a few days ago and had the same opinion as you do. It was very good, but not the ultimate masterpiece that some make it out to be. It was an emotional experience and that is an achievement, but I was not close to crying at any point in the movie. So, it's good to see your opinion, instead of being left wondering if I'm dead inside or something.

Nope. You're not dead inside. It just lacked something, is all. I'm overly emotional, so it's not hard to make me cry, really. So I wouldn't say that the fact it didn't make you cry was a bad thing. I cried more during Kimi no Na wa, tbh. If it didn't seem to skip around so much, I probably would have given it a higher rating. But it blows my mind that so many people prefer it over other films that came out in the same year. It for sure wasn't my favorite. Cute. Beautiful. Still not my favorite. But... to each their own ^_^

• Like 2

Zoop and I just finished watching the first half of A Silent Voice. That was actually about as far as we went before @zoop made the throat cutting gesture that signaled that it wasn't gonna work out for us. We had both basically been suffering up until that point and our relative watchability score was really, really low.

I actually feel a little like a scrambled egg at the moment. I'm really, honestly remarkably confused. I've had people bark at me on this site, at least twice about how this movie was clearly better than Kimi no Na wa. I even had one guy pull a literal "Imma let you finish" on me. Well, finally, I went to go watch it.

How the fuck is this better than Kimi no Na wa? Narratively, this movie feels like it was made of cheesecloth. It really felt like I was watching the 2 hour abridged version of a 3 hour movie. It felt like something was missing! A lot of things, in fact. It actually felt so much like something was missing that I kept saying it and thinking it as the story jumped all around itself like a chipmunk on LSD.

I found the characters to be unlikable, the comedy to be unrelateable, and the music and visual elements to be jarring. Basically, the film felt uncomfortable and tense, not because of the bullying. It was tense because of the awkward way that the story was being told, and it was uncomfortable because the characters all felt a little "off". They didn't feel very real at all.

It felt like it was an over-engineered story, where someone started with an idea "a bully finds redemption" and then fills in the blanks around that in an attempt to justify the redemption. It was both too complex and too simple for what it was trying to do. Did it get better in the second half? The first half left me grumpy. For the corrections that I had received, I had expected a halfway decent viewing experience. I really didn't get it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Zoop and I just finished watching the first half of A Silent Voice. That was actually about as far as we went before @zoop made the throat cutting gesture that signaled that it wasn't gonna work out for us. We had both basically been suffering up until that point and our relative watchability score was really, really low.

I actually feel a little like a scrambled egg at the moment. I'm really, honestly remarkably confused. I've had people bark at me on this site, at least twice about how this movie was clearly better than Kimi no Na wa. I even had one guy pull a literal "Imma let you finish" on me. Well, finally, I went to go watch it.

How the f**** is this better than Kimi no Na wa? Narratively, this movie feels like it was made of cheesecloth. It really felt like I was watching the 2 hour abridged version of a 3 hour movie. It felt like something was missing! A lot of things, in fact. It actually felt so much like something was missing that I kept saying it and thinking it as the story jumped all around itself like a chipmunk on LSD.

I found the characters to be unlikable, the comedy to be unrelateable, and the music and visual elements to be jarring. Basically, the film felt uncomfortable and tense, not because of the bullying. It was tense because of the awkward way that the story was being told, and it was uncomfortable because the characters all felt a little "off". They didn't feel very real at all.

It felt like it was an over-engineered story, where someone started with an idea "a bully finds redemption" and then fills in the blanks around that in an attempt to justify the redemption. It was both too complex and too simple for what it was trying to do. Did it get better in the second half? The first half left me grumpy. For the corrections that I had received, I had expected a halfway decent viewing experience. I really didn't get it.

You kind of convinced me all the more to not see this move.

I was not too interested in Your Name, because Makoto Shinkai has never impressed me, but was interested in this movie because the manga was great.

Unfortunately, a few people here, and outside the community, do not think this movie was handled by a competent staff, as the adaptation ended up being terrible, unlike what the people hyping this believe.

Edited by Guest
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

I finished watching Koe no Katachi last summer break and just decided to comment something here cause I've been pretty much inactive lately. :P

For some reason I find myself comparing Kimi no Nawa and Koe no Katachi since they're both anime movies who happened to have the same type of genre. Next to Kimi no Nawa I was expecting for the Koe no Katachi to be the "next big thing" but sad to say, I still prefer Kimi no Nawa.

I'm not saying Koe no Katachi is not a good anime. In fact, the anime is something to ponder upon. The plot is new, the characters' emotion and their personalities, th events that took place inside the anime was somewhat a new scope.

The ending is well executed and I think it's pretty satisfying even if it didn't end in a very romantic kind of way between the two main Characters :D

• 9 months later...

I have been meaning to watch this for awhile but couldn’t find it anywhere . Was over the moon that it was added onto Netflix ..watched it straight away.loved it so much ..it was an emotional rollercoaster tho...but would definitely recommend to anyone. Plus it buts across an important message on how bullying can affect you later in life. ⭐️

I just love this movie! I've seen it multiple times and sobbed each time. I just find it really relatable for multiple reasons:

1. The themes of depression and suicidal ideation
  2. Being bullied
  3. The close tight-knit sisters worrying over each other
  4. The fact that Shouko is deaf, just like my own sister

I highly recommend this movie! I haven't read the manga yet, but I intend to. 

Image result for a silent voice gif