OnlyASimpleDream

I'm gonna make an anime

Because I am crazy and do the work of like 20 people. I draw, animate, sing, audio edit/mix, and video edit. I am tackling the biggest project out of anyone I know. And I may die trying.

The following is subject to slight change:

In 2049 A.D., society has grown cold and unfeeling with the internet age reaching its peak. People have become more parasitic than ever, with families and friends divided by greed, lust, and selfish anger. The economy is in a downward decline, saying the wrong thing can lead to a cataclysmic end to your image both online as well as in real life, and people cut ties with each other as easily as they are made. In this brave new world, Trevor Klayterson feels a gnawing at the back of his neck, a chill in his spine, and a yearning in his soul. He wants to leave the city he feels so trapped in, but his few friends need him for various reasons. Daniel, his best friend from childhood, has an extremely ill sister who needs money for ever-growing medical bills. Ivy, a foreign exchange student from the Pacific Islands, has a deadbeat father who owed money to an international mob, and she is constantly being harassed by some shady figures. And Travis' parents are hardworking owners of a small restaurant that is going under. Everything boils down to money at this stage in his life. And the opportunity to make an absurd amount of it comes into his life one day.

A private security firm backed by the Japanese and American governments is working on a crossbred utility born from the fields of nanotechnology and biological engineering of parasitic creatures. Making a deal to have a parasite injected into his body in exchange for fifty thousand US dollars a month comes at a psychological cost. The terms of the contract require him to hunt down a sociopath that has his sights set on his something bigger than any terrorist attack ever imagined before. And the private security firm who presented the contract to Travis may know more than they are letting on.

Will Travis' body eventually succumb to the experimental project that lives inside of him? Or will he be hunted down by the target that he seeks first?

animation_eyecatch___a_teaser_by_dreambrush-dag50op.png.9afdb218b83e5903bb8dd8b7062a33be.png

Welcome to my animated series: "The Host." It is a dark sci-fi series with elements of horror and plenty of action, dynamic characterization, and cinematic atmosphere. To be up-front and completely honest, it is NOT a series for the faint of heart. In addition to the levels of uncensored violence, this series will truly dive into some of the most evil ambitions of the human heart. I don't want to throw in gratuitous content just for the heck of it, but I will NOT censor my story to appeal to those who would tell me what is and isn't acceptable. I'm not against providing a censored version for broadcast/streaming standards, but there will be a fully uncensored and uncut release that has the full story I am telling.

However, the relationships between the major protagonists of the story will provide a much-needed hopefulness and happiness to the story. Through their journey, they will learn to really trust and rely on one another. This series will be an emotional and entertaining roller coaster. I want to make it so it encourages repeated viewings to really grasp all of the different aspects of the human heart and the problems of society through the dialogue, visual symbology, and the overall composition.

the_host_animated_series___character_lineup_by_dreambrush-dak2ga4.thumb.png.931380ea0a91be7e6a1b6f230c6acbe7.png

The Host is something I am trying to work on full-time. It will need your help. I am aiming to have a Kickstarter campaign for the pilot episode, and I should be launching the campaign on February 1, 2016. I am continually working on this pilot episode, but money is thin, and the jobs I have been working never provide enough. If the Kickstarter succeeds, I will be able to devote most of my time to making the pilot episode, and I will be able to increase my production values and better afford the hardware and software that the budget requires. Not only that, but I will be able to better afford my rent and food for myself and my giant cat. I don't have many bills to pay: the main cost I have is my obsessiveness with creating a high quality product. With your monetary donation, I can do this. I want to complete the pilot episode and pitch it to various companies and networks to see how I can make a full series out of it. I want to give you an animated series for the ages. An indie "anime." A full-fledged western cinematic animation that finds its roots in Japanese animation. Something that will give you artistic and passive entertainment, as well as engage you in a deeply woven story with heartfelt characters who you will grow to know and love, and even hate.

Help me make The Host a reality.

the_host_animated_series_interest_check_by_dreambrush-dag60kr.thumb.png.140aa00b59e3db504c3616ef16d40648.png

Some samples of the official OST:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kKsEC3ZdUQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIwhIVrDw8g

Feel free to support me at the following links:

http://facebook.com/eurasianartisans

http://www.youtube.com/user/DreambrushStudios

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Awesome, looks really great tbh. Gl on kick-starter, hope this becomes a reality.

• Like 1

Thank you... both of you! Right now the hard part is marketing! I've posted here, and on the animation subreddit (at Reddit, of course), and now I'm at a loss of where to go! Eventually I'll start pitching to networks, but I don't think I'm ready for the Kickstarter yet.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I'm a one-man-team, and I'm still going strong! :)

• Optimistic 1

For the marketing, how about social media sites? It might go viral.

Yes, so here is what I've done so far. I put it up on my Facebook business page (which as of itself only has about 22 followers) and even ran several paid ads on there, all of which had minimal engagement. I have a Twitter, but that's really only good for retweeting my own videos and maybe putting status updates. I posted once or twice on the animation Sureddit. Honestly, I'm a bit uncertain where to go from here. I don't want to pitch to networks until I have a lot more done, or maybe even until after the Kickstarter. I think you have the right idea in some ways though... once I get over the hitch of lack of exposure, even just one facet of my work going viral would at least get people to know that I exist and am capable of doing many different things... could help me find my niche. Still, it's not like I can just go out and spend thousands of dollars on an ad campaign. Well, I could, but I would have to skip meals.

So that leaves me with various options:

- Keep plugging away at my art and updating the aforementioned websites with videos, audio, and visuals of my progress

- Print out actual physical materials and distribute them to networks, random people off the street, etc. (basically a hands-on approach of an aggressive self-promotion campaign)

- Start pitching to networks ahead of time

- Try to reach out to Youtubers willing to promote for free? I dunno

Basically, I have options. It's just overwhelming as..... I am one man struggling to make a living. haha

Have a random teaser. Tonight I'm inking lots of my lineart... slow-going!

the_host_animated_series__random_pre_production_st_by_dreambrush-dapf34f.thumb.jpg.e5e3643bb2a838b33ac5abce00c12ca8.jpg

Edited by Guest

I think that reaching out to other people to help promote you is a very good route~ If you can find people who like your pitch, that have a decent amount of followings, then all their followers will check out your stuff by recommendation. Word of mouth goes a lot way. But I understand how hard it can be to promote something on your own. I use to have my own online store and it was incredibly hard to promote it alone and finding the right people to sponsor me or promote my goods was difficult from time to time.

Your story does seem interesting though, and I wish you the best of luck on it~

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I agree. Marketing alone is already hard enough. But marketing for personal projects is even harder. People don't seem to care if you're just a small fry. (like my personal projects in my signature) But keep at it and people will eventually notice. Sometimes the ones who succeed are merely people who never gave up.

• Like 1

I love you guys. I read every comment everywhere.

Life is challenging! Trying to network my skills, but I can't find work so far, or even get much exposure for The Host. But I am not giving up! Here, have an animation demo reel.... a few new clips in here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6NFpgbw4E0

Also some new soundtracks, all of which were specifically made for The Host:

- An alternative rock piece with an orchestral flair: [MEDIA=soundcloud]

[/MEDIA]

- A mysterious, tranquil song with an ambient wistfulness: [MEDIA=soundcloud]

[/MEDIA]

- A horror piece with powerful strings, ambient drones, and jarring stings: [MEDIA=soundcloud]

[/MEDIA]

- A reimagining of the classic heavy metal genre with a symphonic and modern spin: [MEDIA=soundcloud]

[/MEDIA]

- And finally, a repetitive yet hauntingly beautiful experimental piece that combines new-age soundbedding, electric guitars, futuristic drums, a wobbling synth, and gorgeous strings:

Edited by Guest

Dude!!!! This is freaking fantastic! Just saw this today. Good luck with this, I'm so glad you kept this thing going. The best of luck moving foward!

(Also, if you need voice over, let me know!)

I think this plot and story has way too many cliches. The host idea is like Tokyo ghoul especially with the host coming out of their backs and being used as weapons. The apocalyptic society seems a bit too similar to Akira as well.

Though less important, I will mention problems with the character designs. The designs for them have barley anything to make them stand out which makes them look like actors from a action movie but animated. While talking about art I think the bodies need to look better. Some characters have unfitting body shapes such as the white haired guys chin being off to the side and way too long downward.

I do like you ambition and the idea of making a project independently but I think you should work on the ideas and designs for the series a bit longer before beginning the animation process.

• Disagree 1
  • Informative 1

Animated version will be put aside for now in favor of the graphic novel / manga version!

Coming July 1st on Tapastic and Webtoon!  Just search for THE HOST on or after this date.

teaser1.png

Edited by OnlyASimpleDream
fix image

Oh cool that all looks awesome great job of all the writing on every anime on the shows i guess that is thing to say of anime writing but great job.

• Friendly 1

If you want it to get popular put the episodes on youtube and start a youtube series. 

• Informative 1

Anime Forums

A unique community of fans from around the world, who gather to share their fandom and love of anime, manga, gaming, fanart and at the cornerstone of it all, Japanese culture!

Take a moment to join us today and you'll have access to our member clubs and events too. Come join in the fun and become a part of our community.
insta-1

twit