Cat or Dog as a pet?

Optic

Dog or Cat?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Dog or Cat?

It depends. I had a cat for a short time and I really liked it. I'm more of a cat person (since I'm afraid of dogs). The problem is if you live alone you have to be there for your pet all the time (especially with dogs). If you're more of a busy person, being out a lot I think it's better to have cats. They need less of your attention. But still it depends on the cat? My friend's cat sleeps all the time and my others friend's cat is like a dog-cat. Playfull, always around ... :P I don't know how is it to have a dog, but I know it's no good if you're a lazy person xD. One of my lazy friend has a dog and she really hates to take a walk with her dog in the winter or early in the morning :x

But dogs are more happy to see you :P

• Like 1

Nami may I ask what type/breed of cat you had? Don't suppose you had a photo of it? :)

Cats do seem to be more independent as you say (less attention required). The challenge is I live with my brother and both of us work full-time hours so for most of the day during weekdays the pet would be alone.. :(

I have some pictures on my CDs and I will try to find them! I don't actually know the type (appearently I didn't care much for that) but she looked like the one from whiskas commercial. :P

Then I would recommend you to get a cat not a dog :x

• 3 weeks later...

I'm more of a cat person, also known as the crazy cat lady among my family and friends. I don't know why but ever since I first saw a cat I wanted one. It was the third word I could say (next to mama and papa) in Dutch which is poes. It might sound crazy but I have this connection with cats that they listen to me as a dog. I can make them sit, lay, stay, follow, point them to places where they have to walk to, tricks etc. =) Probably because I love them so much so I put a lot of time and effort in them.

The most comfy thing about a cat I find is that you can actually leave them alone for the weekend, just make sure they have enough food & drinks and a changed kitty litter of course. That feeling of a purring cat on my lap or cuddling them is one of my favourite things in the world.

I've always had cats since I was eight years old (23 now) and we always had four at my parents place. When I moved out I missed having cats around me so much that for my 23rd Birthday my parents got me two kittens; Shadow & Angel. A week later I found out that their sister Joker wasn't able to find a home because she is not 100% "normal". You can compare it with a person that has a down-syndrome. Her mother rejected her from the moment she was born because apparently there is something wrong with her. I felt bad about it that no one wanted to give her a chance so I decided to take her because she would be there with her brother and sister anyway. She might be a little different but that makes her so cute, she is so silly but that really fits her. A month later something similar happened, no one wanted to have a black little kitten that needed a lot of attention as well and I didn't know what was going to happen to him if no one took him so yeah now I have four cats at my place haha.

It is my dream to have a big house with a huge garden that I can set off so that I can take care of more cats who didn't get a chance to find an owner. The garden will be set off so that people who don't like cats can't harm then nor can they even get hit by a car or anything like that.

Meow =3

• Like 1

^ Always have been well known within us that you were a cat person.

I'm a dog lover but yeah, they require lots of attention. Sometimes I feel like neglected my dog by not bringing it out for walks regularly. But one thing I prefer bout dogs is that somehow, they always seem to be sociable with humans, rather than cats. Something with cats is that they seem to do what they want and normally doesn't require the presence of the owner, while dogs will look to cuddle up to you all the time. Not 100% sure on cats though, since I don't really like them from young.

But if you worry about the dog being left alone at home, its ok as my dog is mostly home alone during the day as all my family works

• Like 1

Personally, I'd prefer a dog, but in your situation it'd be too much, they do need attention, at least basic training and love all the physical activity they can get (depending on the breed)

If you could choose, what type of breed would you pick? ;)

It is my dream to have a big house with a huge garden that I can set off so that I can take care of more cats who didn't get a chance to find an owner.

I really admire your affection for cats. I believe most people would find it quite daunting to have four cats in the same house/apartment, though from what you told me before they seem to be really well behaved around you. The fact that they really respect you is evident by how much time you spend with them. That's great. :)

Show us some photos of your cats!! Or do we wait for your blog? xD

But if you worry about the dog being left alone at home, its ok as my dog is mostly home alone during the day as all my family works

Thanks Fab, will take that on-board. Out of curiosity why kind of chew toys and other toys do you have for your dog?

Also you should totally show us some recent photos of your dog. :)

Oh, one thing I guess to note as well is that dogs tend to be more noisy than cats. Something you really should consider as well.

We use to buy some bone shape hard chewing thing for my dog but she doesn't seem to know how to use it. So we switched to normal plush considering the fact that she likes to steal my sister's Stitch plush and play with it

• 7 months later...

I'm not really fond with cats but I would love a dog as a pet. Dogs are really cool to play with and interact with each other. Although, in my younger days that I was scared of dogs, but right now I'm not. xD.

• 5 months later...

Cats are cuter. I find dogs to be a bit more rough around the edges than cats. I don't like fat, puffy cats for the same reason. Give me a cute normal furry cat anyday.

155293403-cat-adoption-checklist-632x475-e1354290788940.jpg.a6426764537bbc4d97709a080ca9f2b3.jpg

Of course, kitties and puppies are automatically the cutest.

I prefer dogs. And I also own two actually. Both poodles. The're very loyal creature and I can say they're really amazing to have. I'm not degrading cats but I love dogs more than them because dogs are very loyal creatures.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had four cats and two dogs. I much prefer dogs overall; loyal, caring, and more reliable than some people~

I do really love my cat that brings me gophers though... he is a badass.

• 6 years later...

Lifelong dog person since I was 3 years old. Growing up it wasn’t unusual for us to have 3 or 4 at a time. But haven’t had one since having to say goodbye to my 14 year old yellow lab last year.