Subbed Dubbed or Learn Japanese

Wodahs

ok ok peoples of the forum give you opinions or render your soul to me :P

so the questions are

1:- do you watch Subbed or Dubbed Anime

and/or

2:- do you prefer to watch Subbed or Dubbed and if its Dubbed you prefer do you wait or watch the Subbed anyways

oh and for the hell of it

3:- who learnt Japanese just to watch anime

I tend to watch subbed just because. But I will watched dubbed as well. I don't really care either way lol.

I would like to learn Japanese. But unless I'm in a classroom setting, I don't pick up on other languages very well (basically not at all)

I don't really care if it's dubbed or subbed, if it has a dub I will watch it because the effort of watching sub is to much since I watch anime at night before going to bed so I'm quite tired, but majority of the time I watch sub because it's usually better then the dub.

I've tried learning Japanese at the past but I'm not good at learning new languages so it's a long process

Edited by Guest

I prefer anime subbed. This is because I typically prefer the voice actors for the subbed versions better. But I will admit, there are a few dubbed anime I enjoy :P

As far as learning Japanese, I am terrible at learning any language. xD So that's a no go.

• Like 2

I almost always watch anime subbed, at least at first, and then I might re-watch the dub. I prefer some of my favorites in dub format (Eureka Seven and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood both have great dubs). My favorite English voice actor is Crispin Freeman. Lots of the anime I watch don't have dubs and/or aren't even licensed in America.

As far as learning Japanese goes, it's a very long process for me because I don't have much time. My main priority these days when it comes to anime and Japanese media is to learn more about Japan. That's not to say that I won't occasionally watch a wild and wacky anime, but a lot of the stuff I watch is Slice of Life. I'm also big into Japanese Dramas. These are good supplements to actual textbooks and classes.

tl;dr: Subbed then I re-watch it dubbed sometimes; Learning Japanese but not just to watch anime unsubbed, more so for cultural appreciation and possible job opportunities.

tl;dr;dr: I'm becoming a boring adult.

• Like 1

I prefer anime subbed. It just feels like the Japanese voice actors put more emotion into the characters than anime that are dubbed. I do enjoy dubbed anime as well though :3

I am actually learning Japanese right now, but I am learning it because I like the country's culture and not because of anime, though that's a small contributing factor ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I am actually learning Japanese right now, but I am learning it because I like the country's culture and not because of anime

I to am currently "trying" to learn it for simular reasons and am hoping to be visiting their country in the near future as well

• Agree 1

ok ok peoples of the forum give you opinions or render your soul to me :P

so the questions are

1:- do you watch Subbed or Dubbed Anime

and/or

2:- do you prefer to watch Subbed or Dubbed and if its Dubbed you prefer do you wait or watch the Subbed anyways

oh and for the hell of it

3:- who learnt Japanese just to watch anime

I like to watch dubbed anime so I can enjoy the show to the full.

I personally believe that anime is best enjoyed dubbed in Mandarin Chinese with Spanish subtitles. This way it is much easier to understand, and more emotion is provoked from the art form. This is my preferred setup when I go to watch my Korean cartoons, and you really haven't lived unless you watch them in this fashion. Of course, if you don't speak Spanish or Mandarin it might be tough for you but languages aren't hard to learn. I became fluent in Spanish within one weekend and Mandarin in three weeks (Mandarin involves learning a whole new alphabet). Everyone should be able to accomplish this feat, especially if I did it, having dyslexia and all. This is very much worth it, trust me. When I first watched Ponyo in Japanese, I barely shed a tear, but in Mandarin with Spanish subtitles I balled my eyes out like a three year old who got hit in the face by an older brother. I know that everyone on here agrees with me on this one, so share your stories of learning Mandarin and Spanish. I'd love to hear them.

• Disagree 1
  • Funny 1

Its impossible to enjoy the show fully if you have it dubbed.

maybe @User 1510 means to enjoy it to the fullest because there is no need to read? You can sit back and just watch?

Anyways, I prefer dubbed. Mainly because I want to see what's going on-screen instead of having to glance down to read subtitles.

But subbed is also okay. Eventually you get used to reading subtitles that you can quickly glance down then back up to see what's going on.

I am trying to learn a few Japanese phrases but not so I can watch Anime without subtitles but because I wanted to learn a foreign language. (aside from English) And I though, hey why not Japanese since I like anime anyways and yeah Japan seems like a cool country to visit.

Edited by Guest
  • Agree 3

maybe @Daniel Hall means to enjoy it to the fullest because there is no need to read? You can sit back and just watch?

Anyways, I prefer dubbed. Mainly because I want to see what's going on-screen instead of having to glance down to read subtitles.

But subbed is also okay. Eventually you get used to reading subtitles that you can quickly glance down then back up to see what's going on.

I am trying to learn a few Japanese phrases but not so I can watch Anime without subtitles but because I wanted to learn a foreign language. (aside from English) And I though, hey why not Japanese since I like anime anyways and yeah Japan seems like a cool country to visit.

You are absolutely 100% right.

I'm a member of the dub club myself. Well, most of the time I'd be watching subbed shows but that's only because I have no choice other than the subs.

If a show has a dub at the time I decide to watch it, I won't ever hesitate to watch the dub over the sub. ;)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

90% of the time I watch subbed anime coz u can feel the emotions of seiyuu as they connect with their character making u feel like u can relate to that character as if your best friend

Dubbed however feels dull without any emotion or what so ever..... But sometimes on very rare of the rarest occasions is dubbed better than subbed coz some voice acting is just too much to bare either the voice is too high pitched or too loud or just too annoying (Goku in Dragon Ball-sounds like an 8 year old though the guy is over 30)

But generally Subbed is the best

• Like 1

I posted this more of a point of discussion to see peoples views , lets face it its anime , if your watching it and enjoying it , then there is no right or wrong way to do it , its already pulling the emotions you want it to

I my self am not a fast reader with eye sight that has slightly depreciated and I have my bouts of dyslexia still

but I do like to watch subbed (but not always) due to it seems more emotional and intense but I do find my self pausing to read or even rewinding after reading to see what ive missed visually

and some times ill watch dubbed coz im being lazy or trying to do some thing else at the same time so I cant concentrate on reading as well as the visual

but remember

there is no right or wrong way to watch anime

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

secretly ive been learning some Japaneses not writing it but saying it such as baka(we all know this) by watching sub so i shall countion to hope to learn Japaneses just like that

• Winner 1

I'm a purist and am like this with practically everything. If a show is originally from, say, France, I want to hear French. If a show is from the US, I want to hear English. If a show is from Costa Rica, I want to hear Spanish. I want to see and hear the show in the way it was originally meant to be seen and heard.

So, to sum it up, I'm big on subtitled shows, and it never bothered me because from a young age (about 10 or 11), my family invested in a "new" closed-caption television for my grandmother's sake and just became used to it. She's lived with us since I was 4.

Edited by Guest
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I personally prefer subbed. I've watched a few dubbed Anime and I was like, "holy ravioli, they're ruining it!" If the Anime was made in Japan, then the language should be in Japanese IMO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I personally prefer subbed. I've watched a few dubbed Anime and I was like, "holy ravioli, they're ruining it!" If the Anime was made in Japan, then the language should be in Japanese IMO.

I completely agree, it must needs be watched in its original version.

Great sig Btw! Ahri's my fave in LoL.

• Geano locked this topic