Subbed Dubbed or Learn Japanese

Wodahs

oh and for the hell of it

3:- who learnt Japanese just to watch anime

????

What for?

Most anime gets translation within a day span, and is learning one of the hardest languages, ESPECIALLY if you come from an language with a similar grammar structure as English justify watching a movie in Japanese a couple of months early?

I can totally get learning a new language for its culture, or for certain enjoyments where there's a lot inaccessible due to a language barrier like Doujins, erotic games, manga, etc.

Anime itself has a pretty dedicated community where fans/pros are actively translating almost everythi, this is pretty evident between these forum communities itself.

Seriously, no offence, but what sort of idiot would learn Japanese JUST for anime?

Does the subtitles take away something so intrinsically valuable in which you must spend hundreds upon hundreds of hours practicing a "trade". (It's questionable whenever learning a language is a trade or not, but that's for a different discussion).

It honestly just seems that specific individual is seriously undermining the actual difficulties, and dedication it takes to learning a language.

Languages goes beyond just learning a couple of terms in a foreign medium.

/rant over

Edited by Guest

????

What for?

Most anime gets translation within a day span, and is learning one of the hardest languages, ESPECIALLY if you come from an language with a similar grammar structure as English justify watching a movie in Japanese a couple of months early?

I can totally get learning a new language for its culture, or for certain enjoyments where there's a lot inaccessible due to a language barrier like Doujins, erotic games, manga, etc.

Anime itself has a pretty dedicated community where fans/pros are actively translating almost everythi, this is pretty evident between these forum communities itself.

Seriously, no offence, but what sort of idiot would learn Japanese JUST for anime?

Does the subtitles take away something so intrinsically valuable in which you must spend hundreds upon hundreds of hours practicing a "trade". (It's questionable whenever learning a language is a trade or not, but that's for a different discussion).

It honestly just seems that specific individual is seriously undermining the actual difficulties, and dedication it takes to learning a language.

Languages goes beyond just learning a couple of terms in a foreign medium.

/rant over

yer always good to have a rant but in all seriousness the learn Japanese part or original question was - tongue in cheek filler sarcastic and I wasn't expecting anyone to learn Japanese to watch anime and as put latter in thread there is no right or wrong way just a point of discussion , but if it helps you get a rant of your chest all good too , but seriously don't stress over it

Edited by Guest
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Subbed for me, but I have watched a lot of dubbed ones in the past, too. And yes, there are a few anime I just can't stand in Japanese and I prefer the dub in a few cases. Clearly not every anime has good Japanese voice acting.

I prefer dub anime, I think I'm a rare breed...

I prefer dubbed anime because sometimes the sub ruins the feel for me.

I guess a good example would be when a character has "perfect English" but all you hear is a strong Japanese accent.

But also the anime I like are usually taking place in countries that aren't Japan and usually speak English or have a certain accent that the Dub can usually accomplish.

I learned Japanese but not for Anime , that's too much dedication lol.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

I prefer dub anime, I think I'm a rare breed...

I prefer dubbed anime because sometimes the sub ruins the feel for me.

I guess a good example would be when a character has "perfect English" but all you hear is a strong Japanese accent.

But also the anime I like are usually taking place in countries that aren't Japan and usually speak English or have a certain accent that the Dub can usually accomplish.

I learned Japanese but not for Anime , that's too much dedication lol.

I felt this way about Hellsing and Noir. Neither series took place in Japan, nor were the characters Japanese (aside from the assassin girl in Noir), so seeing these dubbed didn't bother me much.

I felt this way about Hellsing and Noir. Neither series took place in Japan, nor were the characters Japanese (aside from the assassin girl in Noir), so seeing these dubbed didn't bother me much.

With this thought in mind, there are several anime that are like that. Full Metal Alchemist for example mostly takes place in the equivalent of Germany and the Middle East, and any part that doesn't, has characters that are Chinese. The European, UK etc setting is very popular in Japanese media as a whole, despite the fact that things sometimes sell better just for being in Japan. That's for a while, Yo-kai Watch was outselling Pokemon like crazy, since Pokemon hasn't been in Japan for years, and Yo-kai Watch was. Now, going back to the question, several of you here who see this, might have already seen my post about subbed vs dubbed, in another thread, but I'll summarize it and then give a proper answer to the question.

As it basically goes, when dubbed anime first started showing up in the West, the quality of the acting wasn't all that important, and not everyone could or even tried to be, as an example a Steven Blum of whatever show they were in. When subs became available online, people started watching those, thus forcing the West to improve their voice acting to keep the industry afloat. However, Japan being Japan, got an ego over their supremacy, and so the voice acting hasn't changed there in my life time, despite whether or not that works, while the West has gotten much better because they had to. So to answer the question, it really depends on when the anime came out. I've grown very tired of every anime in Japan sounding so similar in it's dialogue choices that I can watch the first few episodes of almost any anime, and understand the basics of the plot as well as if I had subtitles, because I've heard the conversations in those first few episodes, literally hundreds, if not thousands of times, where as in the West, they try to change them up enough that they aren't exactly the same thing. Also, as long as pronunciation is done correctly of Japanese names and words, it's pretty much the same quality acting of anything you'd hear in Japan. Everyone always claims that Japan's anime industry is failing due to pirates, and while that is a factor, it's the high level of repetition and complacency that's being ignored, and has gotten so stale that most anime are hard to start watching because they are almost the exact same thing, word for word in Japan, minus a few little bits of lingo. So yeah, I guess overall, I'd go with dubs, because at least they try to change up the formula as much as they can, whereas Japan can't be paid to give a damn.

Edited by Guest
  • Disagree 1

I will would watch anime either way, but prefer to watch anime dubbed, since subbed anime has problems that do not exist with dubs, such as:

*they can be hard to read because of contrast, font, or font size (I have encountered a few titles where subtitles were too small to read)

*viewer must be able to concentrate enough to read the subtitles, in other words, not dealing with something like a headache.

If the show has a dub, I will probably switch over to it, though I try to avoid subs when I get a headache.

• 3 months later...
I prefer sub listening to original language to learn Japanese plus it sounds better for some animes

It's hard to learn Japanese just through subs. It's such a different language, you'll basically learn nothing except a couple of words and maybe a phrase or two (you know, the 'desu' and 'baka' and whatever) unless you familiarize yourself with the grammar a bit first.

It's hard to learn Japanese just through subs. It's such a different language, you'll basically learn nothing except a couple of words and maybe a phrase or two (you know, the 'desu' and 'baka' and whatever) unless you familiarize yourself with the grammar a bit first.
Well, as long as you get something out of it, right? But yeah, I never thought much of it. I think getting some of the basic grammar down would help a bit with subbed anime.

I mix it up with subbed and dubbed. The dubbed version of Golden Boy is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. On the other hand, the dub of Love Hina was awful. Even still, I would've dropped Beck if the original sub was the only version available. Nothing worse than Engrish. Sometimes it comes down to the voice actor. Goku's Japanese voice is the weirdest crap I've ever heard and some of the original voices for Naruto sound a lot older than they should be. Sasuke sounds like he's in his 40s when he's actually a teenager.

• Geano locked this topic