We're asking you!

Frost

Question

Hello everyone!

We are currently seeing some positive changes in the community, an example being the gorgeous 12 new layouts that @Optic so graciously made - But I wanted to get some perspective from other members around the forums on what other changes you all would like to see!

It is no lie that we have currently had some loss in the forums - Between the holidays and losing a handful of our regularly active members, there has been a slight decline. But I am hopeful that things will be turning around shortly! I just want to take a minute to personally thank the new members who have joined and have been actively posting, but also to the handful of you all that log on every day to keep things running! You are an important part of this community and that is why I am creating this post!

Getting everyone's perspective is important since it is every one of you who make this forum what it is today -

So, all that being said, what changes would you like to see? Please, do not be shy, as it is important to know how you all truly feel about how things currently are!

You can discuss anything and your concerns or issues will be addressed-

One issue that I have personally been discussing with Optic is a reward system for being active - This means discussion oriented posts - Non spam or chat related topics. A reward system can be many things, a few examples being points or status. I personally feel like personal reward for making positive contribution to the forums means that people have a personal goal to work towards, other than just your post count. I am curious as to how people feel about that. It is currently unclear as to what these positive rewards would be, but your opinion would be noted!

My own personal goal for AF would be to see it grow and become much more discussion oriented than it already is! But I also would like there to be many positive changes for everyone - things that would make each and every member much happier to be here at AnimeForums, rather than another community.

So, discuss! What changes would you all like to see? Contests? Games? Let us know!

• Like 2

• Answers 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

yeah np it will be good to implement new stuff ^_^

yeah we should host something one day ^_^ just give me a pm when you want one i will try and make some time ^_^

like from the 5th of December i have booked a week off so if you wanted to do s some GFX i will definitely have some time for that as i will be doing bare minimum for that week ^_^

also you asked me a for a new sig, but you never told me what character you wanted ? do you still want a new one ?

Sounds good, I will keep you updated then!

And yes, I still want one :P I will shoot you a message later tonight because I'm still at work~

I decided to go dig around a bit in that forum I mentioned with the newspaper and pulled up some covers for you guys:

[ATTACH=full]29833[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]29834[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]29835[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]29836[/ATTACH]

Each issue would feature a bit of a collage section showcasing entries from the gfx competions

example:

[ATTACH=full]29837[/ATTACH]

And there was always an ongoing story with one chapter published each issue (at least one story, quite often two would be running at the same time)

sample:

[ATTACH=full]29838[/ATTACH]

Also, I mentioned a team quiz challenge. It was actually more of a guessing game. The players got the images/questions in separate PMs and submitted their answers through those PMs. I was actually part of the junior mod team that got to play against some members in these sample pages:

[ATTACH=full]29839[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]29840[/ATTACH]

It seems there's a bit of interest in roleplay, which is why I wanted to share this next page from that forum's newspaper. Okay, so one thing I've encountered quite often in forums is some sort of roleplay "cafe" or "hotel" or whatever. It's a thread run by someone as a means for general roleplay (with members taking on the part of customers and staff). One of the general roleplay threads in this place was a candy shop. And to encourage members to partake in the roleplay, thus creating activity and contribution, the candy shop actually had an advertisement in the newspaper for valentine's

sample:

[ATTACH=full]29841[/ATTACH]

Actually, with how flashy it is, it's more of a magazine than a newspaper. But, it isn't a necessity to be so flashy. These were just some samples that I pulled up. They also usually had a section for newer movies, and a recipe submission, as well as any upcoming events, quite often artworks (submitted by members ofc) would be shown off at the end of the newspaper, there was always an interview with someone (whether it be staff or someone from the creative community).

Well, it's a nifty idea anyway. Not sure how well it would work here, but figured I'd mention it and let you all see some samples

This is super duper cute!!!! I'd love to be a part of something like this. <3

I'd like to see other people's responses to this~ I think that is super clever. It is something that would take a lot of free time though, for sure.

Thank you, Gwen!!

sorry @Davis it was all meant for you but I had miss read Kirrys post thinking you had submitted a light novel previously

I still feel the same way tho even if some one is only good in one aspect but would like to try some thing else don't restrain your self just because you believe you'd be no good , and that was the point I was getting at

but I would like to see your GFX too

haha ok thanks fam ^_^

yeah i have never been good at writing stuff, i may try one day more like when i have time.

ok cool i have some free time coming up so i guess will make some stuff's.

im very new to it but its a nice hobby ^_^

• Like 2

It is something that would take a lot of free time though, for sure.

The amount if free time it takes is dampened a bit because it would only be released once a month and ideally there'd be a small team of people working on it.

At that forum, they had different people in charge of different sections. A team leader would set guidelines for layout and sizing and be responsible for putting it all into one document for members to download.

That way, it lessens the load of the work, and it allows for diversity throughout the newspaper

• Winner 1

The amount if free time it takes is dampened a bit because it would only be released once a month and ideally there'd be a small team of people working on it.

At that forum, they had different people in charge of different sections. A team leader would set guidelines for layout and sizing and be responsible for putting it all into one document for members to download.

That way, it lessens the load of the work, and it allows for diversity throughout the newspaper

That is a good point~ I totally wouldn't mind being a part of a team like that if we were to do it ^_^

I can try to think of some good pinpoints we could cover as well. ;)

I'm actually highly interested in this.

• Winner 1

I would really like to see a new section made for role-playing in particular, I think that'd be really cool.

Also, contests would be an awesome new edition to AF; One idea for a contest I have ties into the roleplaying. Each Roleplayer would post there character's bio/info and someone would judge who has the best character of all. Idk what the reward for winner of that would be, but it'd be fun.

I think a role-play section would be great, I personally love making characters and role-playing so I'd give a second vote for this.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

I think a role-play section would be great, I personally love making characters and role-playing so I'd give a second vote for this.

Thank you for your input! ^_^ I think it would be fun to bring role playing back as well.. there are a lot of really creative writers here!

We used to have a roleplay section but it wasn't active enough so Optic removed it.I tried to post but you can't RP by yourself xP

Edited by Guest

We used to have a roleplay section but it wasn't active enough so Optic removed it.I tried to post but you can't RP by yourself xP

I beg to differ ! xD

Then again, I am a very "special" case ;)

It was before your time on AF Xyro xP

Ik ryuji xD

You have to remember that this is not the first time anyone's mentioned roleplaying since I have been here ;)

And I do still roleplay with myself allot :P that's how I get story ideas anyway

As @Peacock has mentioned, there have been a handful of people who have actively asked for a roleplay section, long after that period of time. Roleplay can be something that is actively difficult to progress when starting out, but the simple fact that there are now more members interested and that the number of members is growing each day, is more than enough justification to bring this section back.

It is true that roleplaying can be difficult on forums as far as people having different time zones and schedules, but I have been in many successful ones over the years despite the fact.

Not to mention that it is fun for members and gives them entertainment, which is a good reason to stay at a forum or constantly revisit it~ I think that it is seriously something that should be considered. ;)

As @Peacock has mentioned, there have been a handful of people who have actively asked for a roleplay section, long after that period of time. Roleplay can be something that is actively difficult to progress when starting out, but the simple fact that there are now more members interested and that the number of members is growing each day, is more than enough justification to bring this section back.

It is true that roleplaying can be difficult on forums as far as people having different time zones and schedules, but I have been in many successful ones over the years despite the fact.

Not to mention that it is fun for members and gives them entertainment, which is a good reason to stay at a forum or constantly revisit it~ I think that it is seriously something that should be considered. ;)

I'm all for the roleplay section. I think it's worth trying again.

Another suggestion I have is advertise our discord and steam group on the main page. So that way members can see we have those things before they join.

• Agree 2

I'm all for the roleplay section. I think it's worth trying again.

Another suggestion I have is advertise our discord and steam group on the main page. So that way members can see we have those things before they join.

That is an interesting input~ ^_^

I am not exactly sure how we would advertise it, but it is something to look in to, I suppose~ I think having the steam group and the discord are for sure a plus.

You should run it by @Optic senpai~

• Winner 1

Hello everyone,

A few clarifications from me:

• The existing badge system is like PSN and Steam trophies -- they are event based. For example, you would earn a badge automatically if someone likes your post, or if you make x. amount of posts in the Technology section. There were also events and competitions where badges were manually awarded to the winner and runner-ups. Admittedly we haven't had new badges for a little while as I was creating them before - I would definitely be keen to see if anyone is interested in designing some new ones.

• Individual Creative Corner sections: @Peacock - my only concern is, this could make it even more cluttered because we already have the Gallery for Fanworks as well as the existing Creative Corner section. If we're looking at a more organised individual collection of resources, would the idea of having a blog work? It's something I can look into as a forum feature.

• Role Play section: I'd love to re-add this, if we can get at least 2 members to role play with each other regularly as a starting point. I do believe if we get some regular role players going then it will encourage others to join in!

• I am definitely looking into a proper point and reward shop system for positive actions, such as posting in certain sections and this may even tie in with future events. Using the points you've earned you would then be able to spend those points on forum perks. What those perks would be... to be confirmed. ;) This would be separate from the existing badge system.

I would like to thank everyone for the great ideas and feedback that have been raised and although I can't promise we'll implement every one of them, rest assured we do evaluate each one seriously.

Please don't hesitate to keep the ideas coming.

1: a blog would work IMO.

2: I called myself peacock for a reason. Of course I will spend the time roleplaying xD

• Like 1

I believe if you were to go ahead and implement a RPG corner of the forums, I could get a couple members to start some roleplaying, since a few have already contacted me about RP. Plus, I know @Peacock would be more than willing to get some things started up. :P

@SAO LILDOOP @ItsSammy @Peacock are three on the top of my mind, that I know would participate and create some activity in that section~ Not to mention, I also would not mind partaking in it. So that is 4 already that I can think of. (o^.^o)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I would like to share some thoughts. This first one has more to do with the website itself rather than the community. If there is no concern accepting money from users, I would suggest adding a donation button. Forums often entice donors with small perks that keep a balance within regular members, as to not create an elite group, and to maintain the image of the donation. One perk that I've seen allows a donor to access a private forum, created specifically for them. Any other perk is mostly cosmetic, such as a custom usertitle, or a colored username.

My second suggestion also has to do with the website. A few days ago I noticed that this website doesn't have a favicon, or at least, it isn't showing for me. I think that a favicon would make the website look more consistent, and would help create a better first impression to a user that's deciding whether they want to join or not. It's a small detail that one would think doesn't matter, but it's the little things that mean the most.

Finally, I would like to add an event to the suggestions from before, regarding competitions and gaming gatherings. I believe that a movie night is worthy of being in the list. A movie night has the potential to be successful on its own, not counting the possibility of branching out from movies, to watch series. Similarly, music rooms can be created, and people can join to listen to each others music. Two websites that I can think of that would allow this are rabb.it and plug.dj.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

@Sam im under the belief that your third point they are working on and am also under the same belief that this was part the reason for the discord set up with the site

unfortunately I cant help with the other two points

• Like 1

I believe if you were to go ahead and implement a RPG corner of the forums, I could get a couple members to start some roleplaying, since a few have already contacted me about RP.

Role Play section has been readded, so this can go ahead. :)

A few days ago I noticed that this website doesn't have a favicon, or at least, it isn't showing for me.

Hello @Sam, thanks for reporting this - it seems I didn't update the favicon path when we did a recent change so it was missing for some browsers. This should be fixed now. :angel:

I would suggest adding a donation button. Forums often entice donors with small perks that keep a balance within regular members, as to not create an elite group, and to maintain the image of the donation. One perk that I've seen allows a donor to access a private forum, created specifically for them.

Thanks for the suggestion, it is a nice idea and something we will take into consideration.

Finally, I would like to add an event to the suggestions from before, regarding competitions and gaming gatherings. I believe that a movie night is worthy of being in the list.

I think this could tie in with the Anime Watchalong Club / live streaming idea that @mechaBD had .. although not the same platforms as the two you suggested I think we can find achieve something similar using other platforms, will need to investigate.

Edited by Guest
  • Useful 1
  • Friendly 1