First Anime you've ever watched

Bakuganfan01

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this depends.. The first anime that I watched was probably Sailor Moon, DBZ, Pokemon, Zoids...

The first anime that I watched that I was consciously aware of the fact that it was an anime, was probably Inuyasha. Hahaha... I remember the old days when it aired on Adult Swim at night on Cartoon Network. And I saw a commercial for it and was like "that looks interesting..." And when I looked into it, realized it was an anime and what anime really was.

Oh, god, trying to think of something that isn't like... pokemon or sailor moon. I just don't remember, but I DO remember I was terrified of cartoon network (channel 17!) because my mom accidentally flipped to that channel when I was like 8 and there were anime characters kissing.

One summer later, I stayed at my grandparents' house. I went into the living room and put a blanket over both the television and myself and watched things like Trigun, FLCL... it felt so liberating!! If my grandma knew, she would have killed me. I wish it still felt like that. Now I just watch anime every week with my boyfriend and my cat.

first anime's i watched were from the 80's and 90's - Cowboy Bebop (of course XP), Trigun, Ghost in the Shell, Aeon Flux, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Berserk, Record of Lodoss War, some of the Mobile Suit Gundam's, Vampire Hunter D, Spawn, Captain Harlock, Lupin III, DBZ, Rurouni Kenshin, Angel's Egg, Grave of Fireflies, and many more xD. I've loved anime ever since the first one I watched which I couldnt actually tell you, I've forgotten by now lol

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Probably Voltron back in the mid-80s.

Same, though probably 1988 or 1989 for me... if I remember correctly, one of my older brothers had some of it recorded on VHS. Following that I stumbled upon the original Dragon Ball run in 1995 - up to this point I didn't actually know what anime was.

The first time I started to hear about anime was in 1998, when a friend of mine started talking in hushed tones about the old Scifi channel's new saturday night anime feature, and of all of the incredible things that they'd witnessed on it. I was interested, so I decided to give it a shot. I was thus subjected to Project A-Ko (crap) and Demon City Shinjuku (crap!).

I wasn't impressed. Actually, I thought the whole thing was fairly horrible. It wasn't until that same friend invited me over later in the same year and introduced me to Tenchi Muyo (also crap, but I had lower standards at the time) that I particularly enjoyed anime without being completely ignorant of its origins.

not including things like Transformers and Pokemon (since as a kid I just referred to them as cartoons) my first true anime was Ghost in the Shell.
An anime is a cartoon. A Japanese-animated cartoon.

Same, though probably 1988 or 1989 for me... if I remember correctly, one of my older brothers had some of it recorded on VHS. Following that I stumbled upon the original Dragon Ball run in 1995 - up to this point I didn't actually know what anime was.

The first time I started to hear about anime was in 1998, when a friend of mine started talking in hushed tones about the old Scifi channel's new saturday night anime feature, and of all of the incredible things that they'd witnessed on it. I was interested, so I decided to give it a shot. I was thus subjected to Project A-Ko (crap) and Demon City Shinjuku (crap!).

I wasn't impressed. Actually, I thought the whole thing was fairly horrible. It wasn't until that same friend invited me over later in the same year and introduced me to Tenchi Muyo (also crap, but I had lower standards at the time) that I particularly enjoyed anime without being completely ignorant of its origins.

I didn't know what "anime" was until maybe the mid-90s, where I heard the term "Japanimation" and "Japanime". Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

• Geano locked this topic