First Anime you've ever watched

Bakuganfan01

I've learnt that around some fans you never call Anime a cartoon :P

and when your a kid the term anime means nothing. hence why i don't include them

lol The fans so insistent on that should go to a video store in Japan and go to its anime section. Their minds would probably explode as western stuff is generally lumped in together with it since anime is short for animation.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not including things like Transformers and Pokemon since as a kid I just referred to them as cartoons

An anime is a cartoon. A Japanese-animated cartoon

may be there should also be a thread First Animated Cartoon you've ever watched (or remember watching) as well

The very first anime that I ever watched was Avatar: The Last Airbender, which is the reason I started liking anime in the first place: I simply couldn't get over the gripping story lines, powerful characters, and impeccable design, along with endings that are fully gratifying.

My first anime that i ever watched was pokemon on tv alongside bakugan and beyblade but the first anime that i watched and sat there and enjoyed every episode and knew the storyline and stuff was sao!

Oh, boy do I feel ancient haha. It was Sailor Moon for me, at least dubbed-wise. Subbed-wise it would be Cardcaptor Sakura. I still own the old VHS tapes(y) Not gonna lie, it did feel weird hearing the Japanese language for the first time, especially since Sakura's voice was extremely high-pitched, but I got used to that and was shocked to find out how much the dub cut out from the original. I believe even several episodes were missing?

• Funny 1

Not gonna lie, it did feel weird hearing the Japanese language for the first time, especially since Sakura's voice was extremely high-pitched, but I got used to that and was shocked to find out how much the dub cut out from the original.

Oh gawd, I can relate to that.

As a similarly ancient person, I never actually had a chance to go with subs until I got my first anime DVD in mid 2000 - prior to that, everything I'd seen had either been domestic dubbed VHS releases, or the rare television dub. That first time hearing the original Japanese voice cast of an anime (which was probably also my first time hearing the Japanese language in any significant amount, tbh) came a bit as a surprise, since the DVD I mentioned featured it as the default voice track... with that said, however, I was immediately sold on it, and never did go back. :D

When I was little I remember watching Voltron, Transformers, Robotech and Samurai Pizza cats. Then I got into Dragon Ball and Pokemon etc. I was hooked from then forward.

I will say I remember when Evangelion first came out on dvd in like 97 or 98. I was 10 back then and I watched it with my friends. I had no idea what was going on. I'll never forget that first wtf am I watching anime moment. lol

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

When I was little I remember watching Voltron, Transformers, Robotech and Samurai Pizza cats. Then I got into Dragon Ball and Pokemon etc. I was hooked from then forward.

I will say I remember when Evangelion first came out on dvd in like 97 or 98. I was 10 back then and I watched it with my friends. I had no idea what was going on. I'll never forget that first wtf am I watching anime moment. lol

Dragon Ball and Pokemon are very good for drawing people in to the anime world.

I'll speak of both the first anime that I saw and the first that I cared about:

First seen: Speed Racer, remember seeing it a few times on saturday mornings before things like Beakman's World and Bump in the Night (yay, I feel dated now)

First cared for: Big O, toonami was a big influence on my anime fandom before I even realized it, great stuff on that TV block.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok this is difficult the first anime was Naruto but I did't know it was an anime so I would say the first anime I knew was an anime was Attack on Titan or Heavens lost property I forgot which one but it was one of those 2!

My first anime~

It was a long time ago, in a world far, far away from where I am now. I had just met this weirdo online (@zoop) and we were sorta-kinda in a long distance relationship. Anyways, she just wouldn't stop talking about anime and how I should really, really give it a try. I complained that when I last tried anime, I had hated the low budget animation and the terrible storylines. She was like, "What anime was that?!" I was like, "Pokemon". :blush:

I'm actually incredibly stubborn, so it took a lot of convincing. However, I eventually relented and agreed to watch this thing called Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I had no idea what it was, but it had been offered as an option and I thought that it looked amazingly cute and friendly. It was cute <3, but I WAS VERY WRONG about the friendly part of it @_@.

Still, I watched it all the way through, and then... I watched it again. Let's just say that I was converted. Since then, I have apparently watched more than 1,500 episodes of various anime. Doesn't sound like a lot, until you consider that I think I just watched Madoka Magica in late 2012. (I'm a late bloomer, hahaha. :?)

• Friendly 1
  • Winner 1

It was so long ago. This is a question I always have trouble answering due to poor memory. All I could remember is that three of the anime I watched when I started watching anime as a hobby was:

1. Gurren Lagann

2. Hell Girl

3. Clannad

I remember that the more mainstream titles that I chose (Death Note, FMA: Brotherhood, Ghost in the Shell, and Neon Genesis Evangelion) didn't come till later, when I was knowledgeable enough to know what's the hottest and most popular anime out there. Prior to that, I honestly can't remember why I picked those three. It's seven to eight years ago, when I was in college that I got into anime-watching due to my classmates' influence. We would watch them in class on our laptops. lol I was foolish enough to think that we were bonding over anime in class (I picked Evangelion later to show off how cool I was... pathetic).

I think Death Note was the starting point for a lot of anime fans, and I think it was probably the recommendation that got me started watching anime as well, just not watching Death Note (till later), as weird as that sounds. My classmates were watching DN at the time, I think (again, blurred memory), and they would tell me how good it was. Of course, I didn't know what anime was at the time, or that I've already been exposed to anime long before anime was a thing in my life.

And that brings me to my real "first" anime, the one that I had watched before anime-watching became a hobby. When I was much younger, I think my first anime was Akazukin Chacha. It was this cute magical girl anime, of which the protagonist is loosely based on Little Red Riding Hood. Go figure. And of course, a lot of people's childhood anime, Dragon Ball, was also one of mine. I remember buying a lot of the manga till one day, I couldn't find any copies of it anymore at my local comics shop. And that's when I was exposed to my favorite childhood anime of all time... That's when I found one manga sitting among the others, piquing my interest...

And thus, a fandom was born!!! 20 years of following that anime. 20 long years. God, can't believe how long it has been.

But I can't go on without mentioning another important "first" anime that occupied my childhood: Digimon Adventure. Before Detective Conan became my obsession, I was a huge Digimon fanatic, fighting against Pokemon fans in the Mon-Wars of the '90s. I remember that there was this really stupid marathon they had on a local channel. They were showing Digimon and Pokemon back-to-back, telling the viewers to vote for their favorite to see which was more popular... Naturally, even among Singaporeans, Pokemon was the more popular one. Sigh. Oh well.

Nonetheless, my passion for Digimon continued to burn strongly for many years to come, till the day when Digimon actually excelled over Pokemon in terms of better story when Digimon Tamers was born, the third almighty season with mature storytelling and complex characters. Pokemon wouldn't have such gritty and grounded stories till Diamond and Pearl arrive much later, but that's a topic for another day. :P

It's always fun to walk down the nostalgia lane like this every now and then. I have many precious memories of my first anime, and how they made me love the culture and the medium as a whole today. If I could return to the past and do it all over again, be that naive little kid just finding out what anime is, boy would I love to.

Edited by Guest

• Geano locked this topic