Do you get sick of watching a certain show?

AnimeThief

Do you get sick of watching certain anime shows to the point you never watch them anymore?

I do. Shows like DBZ, Gundam, Yu Yu Hakusho, Outlaw Star, and Sailor Moon are shows that I never watch. I liked them when I was younger. But as of now I have little to no desire to ever watch them again. They don't hit me the way they used to.

When I watch a show. That show has to mean something to me personally. If it loses it's meaning along the way than I quit watching the show and I move on. Sure the show is great. But there is a huge gap between something being great and what significant purpose it holds to the person watching it.

• Agree 1

Only ones I end on bad terms...

Some examples:

• Bleach - It started off really well but gradually declined over time. IMO Bleach reached it's peak around Soul Society Arc and it never got back there in terms of quality. Was it because it really wasn't that great anymore or because of that annoying 40 episode filler it slowly got repetitive and only reason I've stick with it as along as I've did was out of respect for what my memory of the show was during those first 50 or so episodes.
  • Fairy Tail - Fairy Tail was one of those anime I've never really understood, or rather it got storyline or storytelling that never really appealed to me. I've never got sense of progress watching FT, I wasn't sure what characters were after or rather I've never seen them do something about it. They'd just stroll from one adventure to another because Mangaka said so... Imagine how Naruto would look like if only thing he ever did was doing missions over and over again.

*That ending though *-*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW6po2_mWzQ

Both of these anime had awesome OST...

I'd never return to these anime because I know what to expect from them and I don't like what I'm getting. Sure I could watch like first 50 eps of Bleach again but I'd never watch the whole thing, with or without filler.

Unfortunately yes, it seems to be a regularly occurring problem for me. I can't count how many series I've dropped.

It usually happens when they introduce their big twist, or plot hook for the season. I can be picky at times, but I still manage to find a gem here & there.

• 5 months later...

My own personal habit is to never watch any anime with more than 24 or so episodes. I have a seriously hard time retaining interest if something drags on for that long, but I will make exceptions for things that are above average (or better). I *never* watch more than 50 episodes of an anime, and I count it against it if it runs for that long. What can I say? I have an aggressively short attention span @_@ and I hate feeling like I stopped watching and missed something.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I give every anime a chance, I usually watch up to like 5 episodes before I judge it, I usually prefer the longer anime from 20 episodes or more

Oh yes, most definitely. There are so many anime with more than 100 episodes, after all, and not a lot of them are high quality. I got bored of Fairy Tail, got bored of Detective Conan, and I got tired of waiting for HxH to get serious because I was already tired of shounen comedy at the point of viewing. There are thousands of anime out there that I simply couldn't give every anime a chance. I feel like it has created the negative habit of dropping anime as soon as I get tired of it, however, so that's something I regret.

More often than not, however, I get annoyed when I don't complete something, so even if I drop an anime, that completionist tendency of mine might just bug me into picking it up again a few years later, just for the sole sake of completing it and say, "There! I've watched every single episode, OVA, movie, special, and recap of your crappy shounen anime meant to milk off 10 year olds! You happy?!" :D (I'm referring to Pokemon, in case you're wondering... lol)

• Agree 1

I think everyone does. I know for me, I used to watch Eureka Seven every year at least once for about 6 years, and how I haven't watched in a long time. I could probably go and watch it again, but I don't know if I ever will. I'd also probably never rewatch some of the longer anime out there I got into, just simply due to length. After knowing everything that's going to happen, it's kind of hard to enjoy something as much as I used to.

In contrast, shows like Cowboy Bebop are constantly rewatchable. It really depends on how much someone likes something the first they see it, and of course that's something that varies person to person.

My own personal habit is to never watch any anime with more than 24 or so episodes. I have a seriously hard time retaining interest if something drags on for that long, but I will make exceptions for things that are above average (or better). I *never* watch more than 50 episodes of an anime, and I count it against it if it runs for that long. What can I say? I have an aggressively short attention span @_@ and I hate feeling like I stopped watching and missed something.

I'm pretty much the same way. My favourites tend to be 12 episodes long, but I do also like 24. I just find it so much more enjoyable and to the point. I find anime that drag on forever to become very dull.

The only show I've made an exception for a long amount of episodes is Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki. It's a ridiculously cute show (like it's almost painful how cute it is) but still somehow adult. Also, each episode is only 3 minutes long :P

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Dropping an anime isn't new for me. I drop a lot of anime all the time. Especially if the first two episodes doesn't appeal to me much. But in terms of length, I haven't really watched a lot of animes with long series cause 1. The plot changes or it either gets complicated OR the plot gets boring 2. The graphic changes gradually and 3. I don't have the time for long anime series :P Let's just say that I am very picky with what anime I watch. Nowadays fan service is just too much (sad to say) and most new animes are all harems. Like come on :meh::angry:

• Like 1

I recently made an exception for Inuyasha and by golly I'm pleased as punch about it. But I know how you feel. My husband loves anime like One Piece and Naruto (and I did watch a lot of One Piece with him) but it were up to me I wouldn't watch an anime that wasn't either 1) only expected to be a few episodes or 2) complete with a full list of filler that I could find and skip those episodes.

I'm having a hard time watching Attack on Titan right now. I don't really understand what's going on and it's frustrating waiting week after week to be in what I feel is the same boat of "so what exactly is going on here"? I feel like it's filler but I don't think it's supposed to be.

• Like 2

I have not really gotten tired of anime, since I do not continuous rewatch the same set of shows, but I have gotten quite bored while watching a few the first time around, such as Asterisk War and Chivalry of a Failed Knight.

Bleach bored me to death, but I have a bad habit of finishing anime even if I don't like it. That being said, I recently dropped Naruto Shipudden thanks to the fillers and awful writing. After 312 episodes I couldn't take it anymore.

• Geano locked this topic