Attack on Titan Season 2 - General Discussion

AnimeThief

Looks great! Looking forward to it as I myself never read the manga nor novels, only seen the anime. Looking back, season one was aired back in April 2013! Has it been that long already??! :largegasp:

This key visual of Eren, Levi and Mikasa in Japanese magazine Newtype looks epic: :angel:

attack-on-titan-season-2.thumb.jpg.216028fbce86732dde8edff486511919.jpg

• Like 4

I really am excited for season 2. It looks amazing, but I am also not trying to get too hyped. *Is scared to be let down*

I also feel like this coming season was longgggg overdue. So I feel like it has slowly been building hype over the extended period of time since people have been patiently and impatiently waiting for its arrival.

Hope it kicks butt!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Looks great! Looking forward to it as I myself never read the manga nor novels, only seen the anime. Looking back, season one was aired back in April 2013! Has it been that long already??! :largegasp:

This key visual of Eren, Levi and Mikasa in Japanese magazine Newtype looks epic: :angel:

[ATTACH=full]30277[/ATTACH]

That poster looks epic.

• Agree 1

Looks great! Looking forward to it as I myself never read the manga nor novels, only seen the anime.[ATTACH=full]30277[/ATTACH]

You're definitely going to be in for a treat, then - the best is yet to come, in my opinion. No spoilers, obviously, but damn. I can't wait to see it all get animated.

Attack on Titan was the first anime I had the chance to enjoy with my real-life waifu, so it has a special place on my top list. The fact that it's an honest to God incredible series is a nice bonus. :D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have an admittedly weird relationship with Attack On Titan. I like it, it's fairly good, but I doubt I'll ever think it's as good as people say it is. Maybe with the second season, that'll change, but I'm not holding my breath about that. At the same time, I have an odd respect for the show, because it made me realize that at least some mainstream anime really aren't for me as much, and that's fine. Realizing that I'm not the target age demographic in a lot of ways anymore though also didn't sit the best with me either, and I have to say, I really wish almost half the first season wasn't taken up by one fight for a city, but it was. That part just dragged way longer than it needed to. People remember the anime for the titans and for the action and the ending twist, but the show would have been better if it had speed that bit up by a few episodes and focused more on character development.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1
  • Disagree 1

@RepentantSky

I really wish almost half the first season wasn't taken up by one fight for a city, but it was. That part just dragged way longer than it needed to.

Well, the whole show does center on 3 cities which all play a major roll in the survival of all human kind so it kind of makes sense that they'd want to get their 3rd wall back ... I mean, they had to "Get rid of" thousands of people just because they didn't have enough space or food to give to them because they lost the 3rd wall.

Also, the whole point of the show is kind of for Eren to get back to the basement and figure out what's going on, so they do need to fight to get the 3rd wall back and to keep the 2nd wall Titan free or else they'd have to kill of even more people.

but the show would have been better if it had speed that bit up by a few episodes and focused more on character development.

I personally thought they had major character development for pretty much everybody, and if they'd sped on the fighting it'd have looked much too easy and probably really thrown off the whole instant danger factor they were going for.

As for the character development I thought it was perfectly paced with the show and gave you just enough at just the right time ...

For instance, Eren kind of starts out with all the development he needs since the first episode really changes him into who he will be for the rest of his life, along with the backstory of Mikasa which also shows just how far Eren's willing to go to save people ... During the show he does in fact get quiet a bit more development though, he starts out as the kind of cocky, aggressive kid who doesn't know what he's doing, he then turns into a really damaged kid with PTSD which causes him to become even a bit more angry and mean towards people, later on when he meets Levi he starts to actually respect him and try to cut back on his aggressive personality.

Mikasa doesn't have much development after her backstory but that's because she doesn't need it yet, she's got PTSD as well it seems but she reacts to it differently than Eren, instead of being angry and aggressive she keeps it all inside and blocks her emotions ... In her childhood she was a happy little kid, she was seen smiling and laughing just like any other kid would be, but after what happens to her she drastically changes and becomes very quiet and reserved.

She does develop a little more even later though after she becomes obsessed with Eren, this is actually major development because it shows she does still feel emotions she just doesn't show them well.

Armin gets a lot of development as well ... Starting out as a quiet, reserved, bookish young boy he befriends Eren and Mikasa, once in the army he's still very much the same but he starts to talk more and give input which is used to help his whole group stay alive, he does still have major insecurity issues but of course he would, if he changed too drastically it would unrealistic and very out of character since he's supposed to be the quiet yet smart one.

He does start work much harder at becoming better with the 3d maneuvering gear and says he doesn't "Want to be a burden" anymore, you then get to see that he thought of himself as a burden to Eren and Mikasa for forever, he then finds out they hold a lot of respect for him and probably wouldn't survive without him.

Jean who's a secondary character even gets a lot of character development.

He starts out as a cocky, arrogant, annoying, whiny jerk who wants to be in the King's guard so he doesn't have to ever see Titans, and he isn't very likable at all, but he later changes into a brave soldier who still struggles with feeling like he's not good enough or can't be a leader, I enjoyed watching this transition and can't wait to see how he develops later on.

I realize I'm in the vast minority here, but when I can watch something like Anohana or Hantsuki, which are half and 1/4 the length of Attack on Titan, and feel more for those characters, even this many years later, it's hard to really get behind them as much, even if that comparison just in a character sense doesn't seen fair.

• Disagree 1

I get what you're saying but still, if the fight for the cities in Attack on Titan had been shortened for some quicker character development it would not have made the show better, it would have most likely diminished most of the good qualities seen in the show since character development (Especially in action packed, survival shows) should be a little slower than others since most characters are usually too scared, angry, or just caught up in trying to survive that they actually stop to take in everything and grow as a person ... Personally, I found the pace for each characters development to be perfect, not too slow or too quick that you feel it's unrealistic.

That's hard to argue, but when the pace of the show comes to a crawling halt in order to reveal plot that could have happened in two or three episodes less or more, I get bored. AoT had a lot of slow down in that part of the show.

Edited by Guest

I find myself annoyed that I got two disagrees on posts from someone who hasn't even given a reason or bothered to talk to me about why. If you would like, I'd be more than happy to have a conversation with you in regard to those posts. I would PM you about it, but honestly I think you must a rather large image or something running on your profile because my computer, old and slow as it is, refused to load it no matter how much I tried. It's running on its last legs sadly.

• Disagree 1

I find myself annoyed that I got two disagrees on posts from someone who hasn't even given a reason or bothered to talk to me about why. If you would like, I'd be more than happy to have a conversation with you in regard to those posts. I would PM you about it, but honestly I think you must a rather large image or something running on your profile because my computer, old and slow as it is, refused to load it no matter how much I tried. It's running on its last legs sadly.

I disagree because AOT does not need to have less fighting and it did not carry on with fight scenes too long. They were needed and made the show better and showed how scary and brutal it was. The character developtenemtn is some of the best of any anime ive seen so far and its been only one season. The shows great and you deserved those disagrees. ;/

• Disagree 1

I disagree because AOT does not need to have less fighting and it did not carry on with fight scenes too long. They were needed and made the show better and showed how scary and brutal it was. The character developtenemtn is some of the best of any anime ive seen so far and its been only one season. The shows great and you deserved those disagrees. ;/

I didn't say any fight was too long, I said the fight for the city was too long, which compasses everything that happened for that whole arc in the show. A lot of that was not fighting, but it also wasn't character development, it was just rather, stale. I Also don't agree that it was all that scary, Skiki and Another are just two examples that are far scarier and as far brutality, Elfien Lied and Claymore are for worse in that sense. I don't need to defend my point on character development, because I know what it looks like after watching anime for over 20 years, and AoT is by no means the best at it.

Edited by Guest
  • Disagree 1

I Also don't agree that it was all that scary, Skiki and Another are just two examples that are far scarier and as far brutality, Elfien Lied and Claymore are for worse in that sense.

Maybe so but Attack on Titan is it's own thing, it's meant to develop at a slower pace because you get to see every single change these characters go through, it's also not supposed to just be horrifying and scary, it's supposed to be thought provoking and make you wonder how the titans came to be, what they really are, how they can be stopped, and such.

It's not meant to just be a horror show, it's much more than that.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Let's keep this to on topic discussion only. Any other comments are irrelevant to this discussion and some, quite unnecessary.

I am actually quite excited to watch the second season. My personal taste in anime varies from genre to genre, all different, new and old. (Though, older series more often than new)...

I thought AoT was interesting. The artwork was nice, soundtrack was amazing. The only thing I wished for was more character development. But, I have also not read the Manga. So I can't say I'm a true fan.. Regardless, I am curious as to how the second season will look. I will be watching it.

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...

Wow, so many thoughts on Attack on Titan Season 2. I've personally read the manga all the way through to what is currently released on the story. But as for how they portrayed the plot, it was directly based off the manga. I was pleased. They personally made a few changes to add foreshadowing, but I overall loved the buildup. In the manga, you don't see the scene where Hange explains that Reiner and Bertholdt were involved with Annie. You also didn't see Mikasa's flashback to when she saved Eren from those bullies. I love those little add-ins that make the story that much more interesting. I am still unsure what the coordinate does and how it is used. You see that Eren is able to control all other titans. And Reiner said he's the worst one to have that power. Why do you think he thinks that? Is it because Eren hates the Titans? I absolutely loved the scene between Mikasa and Eren in the last episode, Scream. I wished they would've kissed, but that still has a long wait to happen in the manga. What did you guys think about Ymir's choice of going with Reiner? What do you guys think about Eren having two titan powers? How do you think he plans to use them? Did you guys have any wonders why Levi wasn't there to fight and what would've happened if he was there to help? Did you agree with Commander Erwin's plan of action? Thanks!

• Like 2

Can I just say that I'm really startled that we wrapped up the season like that?

I've read the manga, so I knew what was coming. The thing that bugs me is the pacing. I feel like they jumped so fast to tie everything up well enough for another season, that the entire thing just felt a little off.

I feel bad for saying this... I mean, it's not like it was ruined. But, the last episode felt OFF.

My main issue - Hannes died. He's getting munched up by the smiling titan. Eren is all pissed. He does a thing. That thing just feels... Lame? I don't know. I just felt like it could have had more flare. More dramatic music. SOMETHING! Instead, it just felt a little anticlimactic, and the weird lag time between Hannes attacking the titan and then getting munched just makes the whole sequence worse.

Basically... I feel like Season 2 really stuck far too close to the manga, and where they did make changes, it was to bring in elements of the story that, honestly, are completely missing the context that later episodes will provide.

Yes, yes - I'm grumbling a lot. With THAT said, I still think that it was a fantastic season and I'm really looking forward to more AoT. I just hope that I don't have to wait another few years for more, hahaha.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Despite the very long delay from Season 1, overall I was really impressed with Attack on Titan S2. Will certainly post my thoughts per episode in the coming days...

I do have a question as I haven't read the manga, only seen the anime.

Many of the episodes in S2 started with the present, then jump back into a flashback or a few hours earlier. I personally found this a little jarring - did the manga do this style too?

Edited by Guest

I loved the second season as much as the first one. Sadly, it was only 12 episodes. But it seems the next season will be in 2018 which is planned to have 25 episodes.

Edited by Guest

• Geano locked this topic