Naruto vs Naruto Shippuden

User 1510

I remember when I was addicted to this show years ago. Good times...

I'd say Naruto was better. I liked how small-scale the story was and how relatable the characters were. Whether it was a Naruto the "failure", a Rock Lee the "talentless," or Gaara the "outcast," you really felt for them as you saw their struggles, hoping they would succeed in the end. The message that hard-work and dedication could triumph even over genius and one's own fate was a really appealing one to a lot of us.

I was barely stomaching Shippuden because of its really slow pace early on, but what really ruined it for me was Sasuke. I never liked him begin with, but the amount of attention he received as the series went on was unbearable. It especially got ridiculous at how much Sasuke was being ex-machinaed with all those power-ups. Some sloppy writing there, which sadly needed to be done since Naruto after the Pain arc had left Sasuke in the dust at that point. Ya can't have that when you're setting up a future Naruto vs Sasuke final fight. What's worst is that because of all the focus on Sasuke and Naruto, it sidelined the supporting characters who were arguably the most charming feature of Naruto. The likes of Rock Lee, Neji, Tenten, Kiba, Hinata, and others could only stand in the background while Naruto and Sasuke stood in the forefront. It didn't really feel like they accomplished much in the whole of Shippuden because they were largely forgotten, which is sad :(

• Informative 1

I remember when I was addicted to this show years ago. Good times...

I'd say Naruto was better. I liked how small-scale the story was and how relatable the characters were. Whether it was a Naruto the "failure", a Rock Lee the "talentless," or Gaara the "outcast," you really felt for them as you saw their struggles, hoping they would succeed in the end. The message that hard-work and dedication could triumph even over genius and one's own fate was a really appealing one to a lot of us.

I was barely stomaching Shippuden because of its really slow pace early on, but what really ruined it for me was Sasuke. I never liked him begin with, but the amount of attention he received as the series went on was unbearable. It especially got ridiculous at how much Sasuke was being ex-machinaed with all those power-ups. Some sloppy writing there, which sadly needed to be done since Naruto after the Pain arc had left Sasuke in the dust at that point. Ya can't have that when you're setting up a future Naruto vs Sasuke final fight. What's worst is that because of all the focus on Sasuke and Naruto, it sidelined the supporting characters who were arguably the most charming feature of Naruto. The likes of Rock Lee, Neji, Tenten, Kiba, Hinata, and others could only stand in the background while Naruto and Sasuke stood in the forefront. It didn't really feel like they accomplished much in the whole of Shippuden because they were largely forgotten, which is sad :(

I also noticed how Naruto Shippuden's first story arc was dragging its feet for a while. On a more positive note, I remember actually binge-watching episodes of the first series three and a half years ago. Now I'm going to start watching my entire first series Naruto DVD collection with an episode every Saturday evening.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

I prefer the original Naruto series over Shippuden by a mile. My biggest gripe with the second series was the lack of character growth when it came to team 7. Naruto was still a goof when he needed to be serious. Sakura still had her thing for Sasuke for some reason. Speaking of old emo pants, he didn't develop much either. At times it looked like they'd get past their immature ways. Then they would regress to their immature selves. Though I guess Sakura got the worst of it.

• Geano locked this topic