Anime characters that apologise too much

AnimeThief

Why anime characters hand out pointless apologies so much?

There are those stupid characters that apologize and it comes off really annoying and insincere. It makes me hate that character although they're trying to be nice. But they're absolutely failing at it. That character will apologize constantly in the script as if they're breathing the word constantly. It's annoying to hear the word constantly.

It makes you wonder what they actually did wrong. Oh that's right. They're apologizing for nothing. At this rate I think they're apologizing to the audience for being such a dumb messed up character.

Now if the apology is coming from a character whose about to kill another character, it comes off cool yet sarcastic.

For example: I'm sorry that I have to kill you now.

When in fact the character is being sarcastic and is actually meaning they're not sorry, yet they're looking forward to it and is just being an asshole about it.

Edited by Guest

Holy kappa, I thought you're gonna apologize or something for a bit. Misleading lol.

Back to topic.

Well, I agree that some characters that apologize toooooo much can be so annoying, it makes me wanna stab them with a spoon.

And yeah, saying sorry before doing something evil makes it much more evil. hoho

But then again, I did love Mikan Tsumiki(The Ultimate Nurse) from Danganronpa 2. Her apologizing for every single thing charmed me for some reason I cannot understand.

• Agree 1

It comes into play depending on the personality of that specific character. To me, it is a display if innocence or submission. Overly nervous or self conscious characters can be adorable to me, and so their apologetic nature does not bother me in the slightest.

That being said, I have that quality. I apologize for everything. Lol I often get scoffed at or told to shut up when I apologize to much. Hahaha.

It's just a trait of the personality of those types of characters. It's like saying, why does this character laugh all the time? Even in serious situations? Because it's their personality. They're goofy and light hearted.

• Agree 1

I feel that it's cultural...partially. I never thought about this before though. Anyway, Japanese tend to come across as being apologetic in general. Could be a combination of tatemae (doing what's expected of you even if you don't fully agree with it) and maintaining "wa", which means harmony.

So yeah, that's what I think. IRL, you'll always come across Japanese who may appear to be keeping the peace. Go to a doctor, and the nurse will probably apologize for giving you an X-Ray.

In the context you mentioned, it's just a bad guy being evil, right? That's not limited to anime.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

yeah like ssj said, Japanese are often quite apologetic, this is in their culture.

due to that, the artist the producers portray that in the manga/anime.

so it might not be something they do on purpose its probably quite natural for them to this.

i guess that would be the main reason you see it, in so many animes.

@AnimeThief I've adjusted your title to better reflect the topic as I too thought you were apologising for something!!

I think this trait is kind of cute for ditzy, clumsy characters. In Hyperdimension Neptunia there is a character that is like this: Rei Ryghts. Funnily enough when she transforms it completely reverses, she becomes arrogant and almost insane.

As the others have mentioned some of this apologetic trait is in the culture in Japan - due to the high population in a relatively small country it's important to keep the peace and harmony - i.e. try not to be a nuisance.

• Like 1

I feel that it's cultural...partially. I never thought about this before though. Anyway, Japanese tend to come across as being apologetic in general. Could be a combination of tatemae (doing what's expected of you even if you don't fully agree with it) and maintaining "wa", which means harmony.

So yeah, that's what I think. IRL, you'll always come across Japanese who may appear to be keeping the peace. Go to a doctor, and the nurse will probably apologize for giving you an X-Ray.

I never knew that the Japanese were that way. To be honest. I know very little about Japanese culture. I just thought it was an anime thing.

In the context you mentioned, it's just a bad guy being evil, right? That's not limited to anime.

That's true. It's not wholly restricted to anime, it's just a phrase that overly used though as well. There are a few movies where an apology is being used when the antagonist is trying to manipulate the protagonist into doing his dirty work for him.

Underworld is a great example where Viktor apologized to Selene for murdering her parents and her sisters. But where the apology comes in is where he made her into a vampire thinking that paying her Immortality as compensation made up for the consequences of his actions. However to her, he was just another guy that she was about to kill.

Edited by Guest

I never knew that the Japanese were that way. To be honest. I know very little about Japanese culture. I just thought it was an anime thing.
Nope. Years ago, if I came across things that seemed off or different, I would look it up...like Inuyasha made me super curious about how schools in Japan worked and why Kagome could get away with missing so much of it.
That's true. It's not wholly restricted to anime, it's just a phrase that overly used though as well. There are a few movies where an apology is being used when the antagonist is trying to manipulate the protagonist into doing his dirty work for him.

Underworld is a great example where Viktor apologized to Selene for murdering her parents and her sisters. But where the apology comes in is where he made her into a vampire thinking that paying her Immortality as compensation made up for the consequences of his actions. However to her, he was just another guy that she was about to kill.

Yup. ^_^

Nope. Years ago, if I came across things that seemed off or different, I would look it up...like Inuyasha made me super curious about how schools in Japan worked and why Kagome could get away with missing so much of it.

Is school in Japan optional?

• Geano locked this topic