What do you think of dakimakura (hugging) body pillows?

Optic

Would you get a dakimakura (hugging) body pillow?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Would you get a dakimakura (hugging) body pillow?

• Maybe one day...
    • Yes - but only one of my Waifu / Husbando!
    • I already have one!!
    • No - too embarrassing at the moment!
    • Doesn't interest me in the slightest...

Hello everyone,

What do you think of anime dakimakura (hugging) body pillows?

To give you an idea of how big they are, think body pillows. Most dakimakuras these days come in size of 150 cm x 50 cm (59" x 19.6").

They come in two parts, the actual body pillow and the pillow cover of your favourite anime character!

Example body pillows I've got:

I actually don't have a cover yet, still waiting for a favourite character to come up, but some official examples below:

re-zero-ram-dakimakura-pillow-cover.jpg.b0f81b84e023b843c67e6f7fc8af825e.jpg

Of course whether one goes for a cute or explicit pillow cover is completely up to the individual. ;)

How about you? Would you get a dakimakura (hugging) body pillow?

:rom:

aokana-asuka-dakimakura-pillow-cover-large.thumb.jpg.2fcd24a2213474df711e93c67d23fd61.jpg

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I love body pillows. They are comfortable to sleep with and actually help my back a bit when holding them a specific way when I sleep. However.... xD

I have little to no interest in a waifu/husbando pillow. xD To each their own, but I personally would feel awkward sleeping with one staring back at me xD

I've always slept with a body pillow, they're very comfortable!

I would never get a cover featuring a character though. I just get either solid colours or simple patterns.

I do have a small throw cushion though with Link on it. But I don't sleep with it, it stays in the living room to support my head or legs on the couch.

I mean, these are cool and all, but I just got a couple of questions.

Can you see the dakimakura in the darkness? What's the point of getting a specific pillow for its outwards appearance if you're not going to see it majority of the time when laying in bed. I know this varies from person to person, but the average time it takes to fall asleep is 10-20 minutes, does looking at a pillow for 10-20 minutes in the dark justify buying one? Unless you sleep with a night light or something, which I can imagine a lot of people don't pass the age of 6.

And don't get me wrong, It's fine getting a pillow for outwards appearance, but why on a bed? I can totally get buying a pillow like this for your couch, where people/yourself are places you actively look, but do you personally look at your bed on a daily bases?

And if you do often, does it justify buying a pillow that is anime themed?

And to add.

If you're hugging a pillow that's pointing up, and you're sideways, would you even see the characters face?

Of course, you can redirect the pillow directing right in your face, but gravity will eventually re position it to its natural position. Pointing upwards.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Oh @ThatCynicalSnob, cynical as usual. ;)

I don't think anyone can argue with your logical points. A purchase of this particular type of anime merchandise is definitely more emotional than practical - dedication towards your most favourite character(s).

Compared to other anime merchandise it's certainly very low value once used because once you sleep on it, that's it. It's not like anime figures where they retain or even go up in value, even if opened... and the price of these covers are significant, you could get at least two Nendoroids for one cover!

If we're going to bring tangible benefits though... the way I see it, it's like sleeping with a teddy bear - anime version style. Helps to make your sleep more comforting, more relaxing, potentially relieve some stress. Yes the anime character of course isn't real, but imagining he/she is can be fun, you have to admit.

Also when you're not using the cover there's no reason why you couldn't hang them on a wall or line somewhere. For a body pillow cover size, the quality of the print needs to be very high - assuming you don't go for unofficial ones.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

oh gawd I'd love to have one of those...

Which character would you choose Bunny? ;)

Btw, it was Yui from K-On :3

Awwh! Cute character indeed. Although you discarded yours, would you ever consider getting another one again n future ? Or would that be a definite no?

• 2 weeks later...

Body pillow? Mm... I suppose, though I can't really think of any character I'd feel particularly compelled to put on it. A nice pattern, or pleasant pink might be nice though.

I want one of Miia from monster musume

I wana be hugged by a snake!

I am so utterly resentful toward that show for not being to my taste. Monster girls, snakes in particular, are downright delicious.

• Agree 1

lol id get a couple to use as throw pillows , so I can sit with some friends on my couch , awww :P

I laughed so hard at this post. xD

I don't think I could sleep with one but if someone gave me one I would probably do like the post above and set it up on the couch. I'm not really a body pillow person in general.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Guest

I laughed so hard at this post. xD

I don't think I could sleep with one but if someone gave me one I would probably do like the post above and set it up on the couch. I'm not really a body pillow person in general.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.a3c6616d4c5de5c8853c9b355782d38c.jpg

I wasn't serious , like really that would happen , truth be in that situation is never see the remote again !!! :P

• 4 weeks later...

I think when I get older I might just buy a bunch so that I can have them as on the sofa. That way, I can seem even weirder to the feast of my family then before :D

Win win situation in my books ;)

This is just me of course, so it's my opinion. But the whole body pillow thing seems a bit creepy to me and it seems more like disrespect to the characters than respect. To me, there just seems like there's something a bit wrong with the idea of getting a human sized pillow and putting a character on it and then sleeping with it. A lot will probably disagree with this and I'm sorry but I'm just being honest about it. So, I don't see myself getting a body pillow unless something changes. Thanks anyway, though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I already have one dakimakura, the feeling of safety & softness is uncomparable and it is also very comfort to touch and sleep with. If you are worried about people finding your pillow you can always just hide it somewhere.

gabriel-white-tenma-gabriel-dropout-hugging-body-pillow-cover.jpg.7e1fb3b7b4a13c350407d4376bb5b166.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I find the kind with the half naked characters kind of creepy, particularly on the owner.

I have a hard time disagreeing honestly. It's fine you are a huge fan of a character and all, but if you practically groping their image on a pillow and are proud of it, that's just a little off-putting.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't mind them I suppose xD

I would never have one, but the idea of having a huge pillow sounds pretty damn comfy.

Just... personifying them...

Not the route I'd take :P

If you want to cuddle with your body pillow, completely fine by me. In fact there's a tiny bit of envy inside of me because you get a massive fluffy cushion and I don't :D

• Geano locked this topic