Sword Art Online Extended Edition

Optic

My mini review, a more substantial one will appear on the main website when the revamp is done. ;)

SAO: Extended Edition is an OVA which came out around December last year. It is about 1.5 hours long and consists of two parts. The first part consists of a recap where Kirito, Silica, Lisbeth, Suguha and Asuna. The setting for the recap starts off with Kirito at first in an interview.

sao-extended-edition-09.thumb.jpg.b23d67cedd7c2f9a150bc401d00c36b1.jpg

Then interludes to the others, in an outdoor swimming pool at school. They even have a picnic!

The fan-service towards poor Suguha by a very deviant Lisbeth is ludicrous and over the top, and a humourous excuse to see the female characters in swim suits...

sao-extended-edition-02.thumb.jpg.cb42e81c8a9592a2459006ec6201d4a2.jpg

On a more serious note though, the female characters mostly reflect on how they met Kirito in SAO. It's quite humorous actually because if you remember these characters never met each other in SAO until the end of the series, so seeing their reactions on each adventure being retold is priceless. xD

sao-extended-edition-08.thumb.jpg.9df73a93238828448c9db62a25babd86.jpg

After the recap part is over, all the characters return to Alfheim Online to perform a rather silly quest that involves going underwater and into a cavern. The group consists of all the above characters plus Agil and Klein! It's really touching seeing all the characters together in one group. Klein is hilarious. xD Interestingly Asuna's appearance differs slightly in AO now, with blue hair. And new outfits for many of the others as we've never seen them in AO before. :) Of course Leafa retains her original outfit as AO is her originating world.

sao-extended-edition-01.thumb.jpg.9b60f0475294fd6b3762dbb24314fbc7.jpg

And guess who else joins the party... Yui and Pina! Awwh!

sao-extended-edition-05.thumb.jpg.41fdd522d7c6325642921d5f481dccc2.jpg

I really enjoyed this feature, it doesn't really advance the plot at all but it does make you feel good. It's more like an extended ending on top of the existing ending of the TV series. 7/10 from me. :D

I have yet to watch it, but I really should. SAO is one of my top animes so far.

I must say I'm not a huge fan of Asuna's new look. It just doesn't feel right to me, but I'm sure it'll grow on me eventually.

I have yet to watch it, but I really should. SAO is one of my top animes so far.

I must say I'm not a huge fan of Asuna's new look. It just doesn't feel right to me, but I'm sure it'll grow on me eventually.

It's a really good anime! Only sometimes it feels so rushed and the ending of the Alfheim Online was really creepy =(

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van AN Community Forums

It's a really good anime! Only sometimes it feels so rushed and the ending of the Alfheim Online was really creepy =(

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van AN Community Forums

I'm apparently in a minority of people who really enjoyed the ALO arc. It was a wonderful social commentary regarding love that transcends distance, though I do agree that Sugou was creepy.

• 4 weeks later...
So I watched it, it's still not a closed ending o_O I don't feel like it's better or something xD

Most anime OVAs usually don't add much to the story at all. :P

I still found it enjoyable though, seeing Leafa and Asuna together again was the highlight for me. :)

• 1 year later...
  • Geano locked this topic