Life in Japan

PaolaChan

Well, I already live here, so, maybe I can help. ^^

What specifically would you like to know about? My first time here, it was for a year (2010 - 2011). i went home and then returned in 2012 and have been here ever since, so maybe I can help answer any questions that you may have.

What are your goals, exactly, if it's okay to ask?

Edited by Guest

Thinking about it! My friend, native to Japan, has invited me to join him in Fukuoka to teach ... but by law, I have to finish my bachelor's first. I thought I was going to be done with that in 2 years but I'm signed up to do a 5 year bachelor's/master's program now .. Er... so not for a while, if at all haha. What are you gonna do there? :D

Well, I already live here, so, maybe I can help. ^^

What specifically would you like to know about? My first time here, it was for a year (2010 - 2011). i went home and then returned in 2012 and have been here ever since, so maybe I can help answer any questions that you may have.

What are your goals, exactly, if it's okay to ask?

Well, first of all I would like you to know that maybe I'm a bit small to think about these type of things (18 years old) but I want to make anything possible to get to live there.

I went to Japan 6 months ago for three weeks and it was the best experience of my life. I loved the order people kept in public places, there's no much insecurity, etc.

I really don't know what I'm going to study at University yet since I want to study something that can help me get a job in Japan. The issue is that I don't know which types of jobs are good for foreigners in there... I'm a mexican girl and currently I'm studying Japanese as my third language.

It may sound a little bit selfish but I would love to live somewhere where there's not much buildings. I know this will be way complicated since it's more pobably that in places like Tokyo there are people who can speak English... I was thinking of Hokkaido since it is one of the places I admire the most.

Thinking about it! My friend, native to Japan, has invited me to join him in Fukuoka to teach ... but by law, I have to finish my bachelor's first. I thought I was going to be done with that in 2 years but I'm signed up to do a 5 year bachelor's/master's program now .. Er... so not for a while, if at all haha. What are you gonna do there? :D

You are so lucky!! Unfortunately, there aren't many native japanese here in Mexico... I really don't have any idea what I'll be doing in Japan xD So that's why I'm trying to get some information~

Sorry I took such a while to reply to this. I would rather type out a respnse than use my tablet and t hese days, I don't use my computer as much since it doesn't have a battery, takes forever to fully boot up. I'll answer as best as I can.

Well, first of all I would like you to know that maybe I'm a bit small to think about these type of things (18 years old) but I want to make anything possible to get to live there.
Okay, gotcha.
I went to Japan 6 months ago for three weeks and it was the best experience of my life. I loved the order people kept in public places, there's no much insecurity, etc.
Which parts did you visit, by the way? Did you say in the Kanto region (places like Tokyo and Yokohama, for example) or did you venture to like the Kansai area (places like Kyoto, Osaka), or maybe the Tohoku region, etc.?
I really don't know what I'm going to study at University yet since I want to study something that can help me get a job in Japan. The issue is that I don't know which types of jobs are good for foreigners in there... I'm a mexican girl and currently I'm studying Japanese as my third language.
You know, you could always go to university and try switching over to a Japanese university later on.

As for jobs for foreigners, there are quite a bit, like web design, IT, game design, bartending,, translator, restaurant server, etc., but the majority are stuck teaching English, but the higher your level of Japanese, the better your job prospects. For instance, I've only done English teaching jobs here. My first year here, I was an Assistant Language Teacher at a junior high school, and I did enjoy my time there. The job was relatively easy. When returning back here, I took a job at a very small eikaiwa or "English Language School". These cater to all ages. For part of the job, I had to work mornings at a nearby kindergarten, which I loved, and in the afternoons and evenings, I had to go to the actual school and do lessons there. I loved the kindergarten portion of it....didn't care for the eikaiwa part of it.

I moved and took another job at a more well-known eikaiwa chain and the experience there was okay, but it did get to the point where I wasn't enjoying it because I like consistency (my schedule wasn't the same every week) and hated the late hours and I preferred working with preschoolers, mainly 0 - 3. Since eikaiwa schools mostly are aimed at everyone, they're open rather late because of adults.

I'm now in Tokyo. Last year I worked for a company that shipped me out to nursery/kindergartens everyday. I liked and hated it. I hated the pay and the amount it cost me in transportation fees.

This year, out of desperation, I took an ALT job, and...yeah, I personally hate it, but I blame the pay, lack of benefits, and my experience for that. ALT work is good for a beginner, but not someone with experience because more than likely, you'll get frustrated more easily, and with this job, I'm constantly frustrated...but it's my own fault. If I studied more, I'd have a better job here. My level is still pretty basic.

So yeah, study the language as best as you can so that you don't end up in the "English teaching" trap, although most use it as a way to just get their foot in the door, and then start looking into other things while here, since many companies don't recruit from overseas...aside from maybe places like the ALT companies and stuff.

Another option is the JET Programme. It's government sponsored and the pay is more decent and you get benefits, compared to these other companies. They only recruit from overseas. It's a long process, though and you have no say in where they place you if you're accepted.

These are only things you can do to get into the country and then maybe search for better employment once you're here as you'd have a big advantage over those who aren't here.

One site you can check is www.gaijinpot.com. You can get an idea as to what requirements are needed for certain jobs.

It may sound a little bit selfish but I would love to live somewhere where there's not much buildings. I know this will be way complicated since it's more pobably that in places like Tokyo there are people who can speak English... I was thinking of Hokkaido since it is one of the places I admire the most.
So the type of area you would like is the "inaka" or "countryside". Those places exist in the Tokyo area. There's the city part, and then there are the more suburban parts...but they're outside of Tokyo. Places like Chiba or Yokohama. Hokkaido I hear is very nice, and I was trying to go there initially, but that's mainly due to my dislike of hot weather, and the humidity levels are low there in the summer compared to the rest of the country.

Anyway, the only downside the further north you go, or the more rural an area, you may end up needing to drive every place, which means either getting an international license, having your license translated from your home country (unless you're from the US, where that's not an option), or sit through the Japanese test.

Edit: I just checked the JET Programme site. There are many countries that participate in this, but unfortunately, Mexico isn't one of them. Ironically, Argentina and Spain are.

You know, the Bachelor's requirement isn't really a "job requirement"...unless it is. lol That's to satisfy immigration for visa purposes. They're strict on who they let into the country for living purposes...they prefer people with degrees and an education, I guess. Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...
You know, the Bachelor's requirement isn't really a "job requirement"...unless it is. lol That's to satisfy immigration for visa purposes. They're strict on who they let into the country for living purposes...they prefer people with degrees and an education, I guess.

That is so weird to hear this from you now, I just spoke with the friend yesterday and he was like "If you're serious, we can make this work." Looks like you're right - I was definitely ignorant to that. I'm still gonna stick around here for a while since I really want to complete my BS/MS combined program, but by then I will have qualifications to work in a much needed healthcare role so I will do that here for a while.

Man, I have a family friend who was hired to transfer to a station in Japan as a public affairs type of folk. She found a place for her dog to stay and packed up the apartment. She was supposed to have her flight to Japan this week, but the new executive order that halted all new federal hiring caused her to lose that job. :( I feel really bad for those affected negatively by that.

• 1 month later...

I have thought about if I really wanted to live in Japan. I've already visited and I quite enjoyed it. I'm not too good with Tokyo life because it has just too much city for me. I enjoy being in Hiroshima the most. It was much more calm for me.

But I'm not still sure if I would want to live in Japan or just have a very long stay.

• Like 1

I have thought about if I really wanted to live in Japan. I've already visited and I quite enjoyed it. I'm not too good with Tokyo life because it has just too much city for me. I enjoy being in Hiroshima the most. It was much more calm for me.

But I'm not still sure if I would want to live in Japan or just have a very long stay.

Which country are you from?

I think I would like to try living in Japan, I've never visited though. I'd be worried about money, finding a job, whether I'd have to wait to finish university before I could go there, learning the language, adapting to local culture etc. It's something that's interested me for a while and when considering university and places abroad I could possibly study, Japan was one of the top places in my mind. I didn't prepare enough though, but I still haven't entirely dismissed the thought of going there someday.

• 2 weeks later...
I think I would like to try living in Japan, I've never visited though. I'd be worried about money, finding a job, whether I'd have to wait to finish university before I could go there, learning the language, adapting to local culture etc. It's something that's interested me for a while and when considering university and places abroad I could possibly study, Japan was one of the top places in my mind. I didn't prepare enough though, but I still haven't entirely dismissed the thought of going there someday.
Before moving here, I'd never visited either.

For working purposes, I'd recommend finishing up university and getting your degree. It's an immigration requirement. You could always try studying over here. There are places like Waseda that caters to international students.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to go while I am still young, maybe just for 6 months to a year. I have a friend who taught English there and said it was very stressful so I'd like to find something else. My ultimate dream would to be a dancer for a Japanese pop group! No idea how to make that happen but will dream anyway xD

I would like to go while I am still young, maybe just for 6 months to a year. I have a friend who taught English there and said it was very stressful so I'd like to find something else. My ultimate dream would to be a dancer for a Japanese pop group! No idea how to make that happen but will dream anyway xD
*Points to earlier post in this thread regarding English teaching* Every situation is different. Just because your friend found it stressful, doesn't mean the job itself is stressful. It depends on the company or one's boss and that goes for any job a person has, even in one's native country. Maybe your friend had a bad work environment, which led to the job being stressful.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going to be headed over at the end of the year. I've visited twice, so I'm happy to finally be moving :)
Cool. Which part will you be moving to and how long will you stay here?

I'll be headed to Waseda in Feb for 6 months, at least.
Cool, so right here in Tokyo. Hope you enjoy it. From Waseda, you can easily visit Ikebukuro and Sunshine City.

I'll be headed to Waseda in Feb for 6 months, at least.
Cool, so right here in Tokyo. Hope you enjoy it. From Waseda, you can easily visit Ikebukuro and Sunshine City.

• 4 months later...