Should I switch from watching dubs to subs

Luffy

Hey so I was watching One Piece it has 516 Dubs and 770 Subs and it takes so long for new dubbed episodes to come out should I just carry on from watching where I was but watch the sub instead?

I don't see why not. lol

Dub or sub, it both contains the same thing tho.

But well, if you can't handle subs, then you could wait for the dubs. But then again, the subbed ones will continue to release episodes. lol

• Like 1

it literally make no difference if you wanna keep up and don't wanna wait for the dubbed eps then sure subbed is the way to go for you.

i myself dislike dub, i just don't like it, so i always watch everything subbed, and weekly eps are so much better than whatever you wait for a dubbed eps.

also you have quite a while to go haha good luck and enjoy ^_^

There is minor differences between dub and subbed animes, usually subbed animes have more emotions put into the voice in a way that doesn't sound as corny while in dub when they try to do that kind of emotion or emphasis it just makes it sound over the top and comical in my opinion. Also if u aren't a fast reader u may struggle to keep up with reading and watching at the same time which may disjoint u from the sound and text which u will get used to over time. Either way if u don't have any problems with this stuff u should be fine

There is minor differences between dub and subbed animes, usually subbed animes have more emotions put into the voice in a way that doesn't sound as corny while in dub when they try to do that kind of emotion or emphasis it just makes it sound over the top and comical in my opinion. Also if u aren't a fast reader u may struggle to keep up with reading and watching at the same time which may disjoint u from the sound and text which u will get used to over time. Either way if u don't have any problems with this stuff u should be fine

I am a pretty good reader I watch anime that are subbed a lot so ye xD

@Luffy, if you do switch to sub, I'd recommend re-watching an episode you've already seen. It makes it a bit easier for some people to be able to associate who's talking easier.

A few years ago I was watching a dub anime with someone and we decided to switch to sub part way through. Personally, I had no issue with it. But the person I was watching with ended up getting a bit confused on who's who. So watched an episode we had already seen and it made it easier for him.

Why not just watch both?

In terms of waiting...

I'd say just go sub, since some translations can take way ages to be released to the western world.

In terms of voice actor/actress quality. From my exp, both have their flaws.

So you aren't really going to win/win with that.

Purely on preference maybe?

• Like 1

Hey so I was watching One Piece it has 516 Dubs and 770 Subs and it takes so long for new dubbed episodes to come out should I just carry on from watching where I was but watch the sub instead?

If you enjoy watching the dubbed episodes better then I see no need to switch to the subtitled ones.

Yeah, sure.

Just watch a few episodes and see how you like it.

But I think It's important to mention a couple of things.

For some people, (especially for people who aren't used to subtitles) the subtitles working in conjunction with the action can be distracting, and can ruin the action for some people. I mean, how can you watch the action if you're constantly looking at the bottom of the screen?

Also, on the whole "Sub isn't as good as dub since there's less emotions", I feel like it's important to consider the possibility that we don't know the Japanese language as intimate as English, and because of that, we can notice a lot of mishaps, and mistakes the voice actors make.

As English speakers, we have TONS of points of references in peoples voice when conveying emotions.

Whenever that would be a fight with your friends, or making your parents cry, etc.

Unless you yourself speaks Japanese, and is well equipped with experience in drama from both languages, feel free to inform me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, sure.

Just watch a few episodes and see how you like it.

But I think It's important to mention a couple of things.

For some people, (especially for people who aren't used to subtitles) the subtitles working in conjunction with the action can be distracting, and can ruin the action for some people. I mean, how can you watch the action if you're constantly looking at the bottom of the screen?

Also, on the whole "Sub isn't as good as dub since there's less emotions", I feel like it's important to consider the possibility that we don't know the Japanese language as intimate as English, and because of that, we can notice a lot of mishaps, and mistakes the voice actors make.

As English speakers, we have TONS of points of references in peoples voice when conveying emotions.

Whenever that would be a fight with your friends, or making your parents cry, etc.

Unless you yourself speaks Japanese, and is well equipped with experience in drama from both languages, feel free to inform me.

i can watch everything at the same time of reading im fine

@Luffy ive stated it before , there is no right or wrong when it comes to watching anime and there will be good and bad points on both sides of this coin

even just picking one dub or sub watch an ep and go back and watch the same ep the same way dub/sub and you can even pick up on different things seeing it differently with out changing to the other

so thus come down to a choice to watch it the way you feel most comfortable and to be honest watching sub may be sooner but then when you catch up with that and your still waiting for new ep's you feel the same way any way

Originally i hated the idea of subs, but like you i watched one piece and i decided to go ahead with the subs (WORTH IT) at first i was kinda slow and had to pause the episodes to read it all, after a little while i could read as i went along and pay attention to the rest of the screen. Now i love subbed i sometimes prefer it over dubbed, and there are a number of animes out there that i have been able to watch that dont come out as dud, its really worth it, i hope this helps xD

Well, you may try watching a subbed episode, it's totally fun and very nice to hear the real voices of the actors.

I mean we all love to hear japanese voices, they're so cute.

Edited by Guest

I have a thing with dubs vs subs that a lot of people I've talked about it over the years don't seem to like. The history of anime that's been dubbed kind of goes like this: It was at first, hardly taken seriously by anyone save a few actors, so if the dubbing of a show was borderline horrible and almost unwatchable, it didn't matter. Because of this, we grew into the mentality that subs are better because the voice actors were better. However, it seems to me like Japan caught wind of that and decided to teach all their voice actors how to do about 5 to 7 different voices, (5 for women, 7 for men. don't ask me why, but that does seem about as far as the variation of voices goes) that were popular at the time, and all anime characters are now required to sound pretty much the same, even if the setting doesn't fit the voices the actors have been taught to do. In turn, companies that dub anime caught wind of that and decided to up their game, allowing their actors to use a variety of different voices and hiring new actors often. Occasionally, you still get different voices out there in Japan like Maka from Soul Eater or Natsu from Fairy Tail, but those are few and far between. So, to answer the question, it depends on a few things, 1, if you like the anime voices that have been around for the last 20 years in Japan, watch the subs, 2, if you like good voice acting, depending on when the show came out, watch the subs, or the dubs, but pay attention to anything that came out before FMA, because there's a hit and miss period there and 3, if you want characters to not sound the same all the time and are watching a more recent anime, watch the dubs, because they are, in my opinion, superior to a lot of subs. Also, there are certain anime where the dubs are just the better option regardless of timing, like FMA, DBZ and Hellsing Ultimate, and that's true the other way around, because anime like Bleach and Naruto are pretty horrible dubbed, what with names being pronounced incorrectly and all. Then again, they are about the last anime's that had that issue.

Edited by Guest
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Geano locked this topic