Help me find a title...

luxemonster

SO being super new to this forum (this account is 10 minutes old) this might be in the wrong spot/might be a dupe so if it is let me know and I'll fix it. Also English isn't my first language so it might be a wild ride.

Anyway, I haven't watched much anime since I was in 8th grade or so, even though I grew up watching 90's era stuff and falling in love.

You guys know waaaay more titles than I could imagine so I'd love any recommendations you have!

My four favorites ever are Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Howl's Moving Castle (movie i know shh) and Spirited Away (shh). Please excuse my extremely mainstream taste.

I especially love 90's era animation style, (some) sci-fi, cyberpunk themes, fairytale stories and fantasy.

Something I can "escape" to is really nice, and why I started watching in the first place. Spirited Away did wonders for this.

I have never cared much for action or mech anime. I thought I would really like SAO, and turned out not very into it.

Sorry I'm busting in here like give me recs gdi but I'm in an anime-watching-mood and want to start something before that mood goes away.

Alright, thank you all.

well if u want something like spirited away or howls moving castle, the guy who made them Hayao Miyasakis movies would be the place to start.

Since u liked cowboy bebop I am also inclined to suggest baccano since Its also around the same style but is about mafias who gain immortality with a really good plot.

If u do plan to go for something a long spirited away or howls moving castle route I would suggest Princess mononoke since its one of my personal favourites from their creator and I think you might enjoy it.

I don't really have anything old in terms of something similar to Ghost in the shell, but Psycho pass comes close with it also being a futuristic police show bare in mind it would have CGI animation and not old hand drawn or traditional methods still worth a watch.

Other things to check out on a whim are Mikoto shinkai films such as 5 Centimetres per second. These films are strictly about human interactions and are usually romance based but take a reality check to the face and punch u hard in the feels while keeping a traditional animation style while implementing some 3D animation that blends well to add some real nice depth. You may like it you never know.

• Like 1

well if u want something like spirited away or howls moving castle, the guy who made them Hayao Miyasakis movies would be the place to start.

I tend to agree with @flambo and Studio Ghibli dis/do some great stuff I two enjoyed them and all others that ive watched of theirs , more of their anime that you may like that ive seen are

Castle in the Sky

My Neighbor Totoro

Kiki's Delivery Service

Porco Rosso

Princess Mononoke

Ponyo

but I haven't seen all Studio Ghibli's stuff

and I also liked Psycho pass and to throw some out there maybe ergo proxy and the fate/stay nite series

dote some others that are on the tip of my tongue but forgot them as typing so as/if I think of others ill add them

let us know how you go or if you want to try in to other areas

SO being super new to this forum (this account is 10 minutes old) this might be in the wrong spot/might be a dupe so if it is let me know and I'll fix it. Also English isn't my first language so it might be a wild ride.

I especially love 90's era animation style, (some) sci-fi, cyberpunk themes, fairytale stories and fantasy.

I'm also new here. Sorry for my awful english.

If youu like 90's era animation style, you can try

Ushio to Tora (2015 edition). It's new but has 90's style.

You also can try Denpa Kyoushi. It also has 90's style. the genre is school, though.

if you like sci-fi or fantasy genre tou can try :

Karigurashi no Arrietty (The Secret World of Arrietty) = 'bout super mini creature live together with human

.hack//Legend of the Twilight = 'bout Online game, like SAO

Onegai Teacher = 'bout Alien woman fall in love with a boy

Card Captor Sakura = similar with sailor moon

Ah My Goddess = 'bout university student live together with a beautiful goddess.

Flying Witch = 'bout a witch live together with human. The genre is not action but slice of life.

Hey there. Here are a few suggestions, most have a fantasy aspect...

Record of Lodoss War: This is an OAV series.

Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight (This is the follow up to the OAV, and has one of the most beautiful intro themes ever, imo.)

Utawarerumono (just found out that this got another series...I've only seen the original)

The Slayers and its sequels (Slayers Next, Slayers Try, Slayers Gorgeous, etc.)

Tales of Symphonia the Animation (this is an OAV series based on the game and is followed up by Tales of Symphonia Tethealla and Tales of Symphonia the United World)

I guess any of the .hack series. The first one, though, is .hack//SIGN

Ragnarok the Animation (Also based on a game, a fantasy-based MMORPG game)

Fushigi Yuugi (if you like stories where main characters are trapped in another world)

Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki: This is the OAV series, and it still have releases. It's a separate continuity from the other Tenchi series. This is the first one.

Tenchi Muyo! TV, aka Tenchi Universe outside of Japan: This is the TV series, which has a different storyline and continuity from the OAV.

Hope some of these titles will appeal to you.

Edited by Guest

I would just say going by the fact you like 2 Studio Ghibli movies that you would more then likely like the majority of them cause they are all amazing!

• Like 1

Anyway, I haven't watched much anime since I was in 8th grade or so, even though I grew up watching 90's era stuff and falling in love.

You guys know waaaay more titles than I could imagine so I'd love any recommendations you have!

My four favorites ever are Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Howl's Moving Castle (movie i know shh) and Spirited Away (shh). Please excuse my extremely mainstream taste.

Something I can "escape" to is really nice, and why I started watching in the first place. Spirited Away did wonders for this.

I have never cared much for action or mech anime. I thought I would really like SAO, and turned out not very into it.

Sorry I'm busting in here like give me recs gdi but I'm in an anime-watching-mood and want to start something before that mood goes away.

Alright, thank you all.

I would love to recommend Fullmetal Alchemist as it is one of the greatest ever.

• Geano locked this topic