Facebook - your thoughts and experiences?

Optic

I find Facebook to be a great place to get latest updates and news nowadays. Lots of business, games update their facebook pages with latest news faster than their own website nowadays. Especially that some online sellers only have facebook pages

Very much so indeed, it does give a more personal link between the business and consumer. Of course the closer the personal link, the faster people expect a response. ;)

On a similar note, @katyC and I have discovered we're finding it's getting a little challenging getting our FB posts exposed due to noise ratio on the News Feed. Naturally we're competing with friend posts, ad posts, interest posts from previous likes and of course posts from other pages they've liked.

Naturally when more people like and/or share a post it's much more likely to get bumped up on the News Feed..

• 3 weeks later...

I detest Facebook for a variety of reasons. One reason being that it is so easy for people to know everything about you anymore. All it takes is a few clicks and they've got your entire life story at their fingertips. There's always stalkers on Facebook, especially if you're the kind that likes to post about everything you're doing when you're doing it (also why I hate Twitter). I will admit that there are some advantages. Small companies or businesses who can't afford or don't have the know how to get a website can still advertise pretty easily with just a few clicks. It's also great for things like forums, or even websites to gain more reputation and build a larger following.

It has its ups and downs as with any social networking site. Personally, I just use it for playing games. I never update my status and I hardly use it to connect with others. I stick to things like Skype or forums to connect with other people. I suppose I just don't like the fact that there is no anonymity anymore. You see this especially on YouTube where users now have to link/create Google+ accounts to use YouTube's services (which it's not difficult to bypass but it's still ridiculous having to). The internet as we know it was pioneered by anonymity. Take that away and what do we have left?

I digress ...

Facebook is a great way for businesses and organizations to communicate with the general populous. I can't say the same about the general populous communicating with itself however, due to the fact of aforementioned issues (stalkers, spammers, bullies, etc).

I detest Facebook for a variety of reasons. One reason being that it is so easy for people to know everything about you anymore. All it takes is a few clicks and they've got your entire life story at their fingertips. There's always stalkers on Facebook, especially if you're the kind that likes to post about everything you're doing when you're doing it (also why I hate Twitter).

I definitely agree. I am surprised the amount of information that my boyfriend's parents know about me - all because of my boyfriend's siblings being my Facebook friends and them telling my boyfriend's parents what both of us are up to. Sometimes things can get confused as well - like there was one time when they thought they had been ditched for my friends because there was a pic of my boyfriend and me having lunch and we had to cancel dinner with them - it wasn't because we were with friends, lunch had happened earlier in the day but my boyfriend couldn't turn up to dinner due to other unforeseeable commitments. Even if I don't post much on Facebook, others will still find out more about me due to other friends tagging me in pictures or statuses. I don't mind people knowing what I am up to as long as they don't get confused. I think social networking sites are an excellent way to keep in contact with people - it has definitely helped me keep in contact with online friends' lives.

• Agree 2

Sometimes it is like as if Social Media can be like "You have the right to post online. Anything you post can and will be used against you in specific situations when we weren't there" xD

I am glad that you can choose now what you want to share with friends, family, public, only you and custom now. Not everyone always has to see everything, as in public =)

• Agree 2

I recently boosted a Sword Art Online II post to help promote our episode guide. Budget was $5 across five days. So $1 per day (though it ended up taking about seven days to fully deplete. Very affordable.

We received 82+ likes within 1-2 days for that post as it really boosts it on our follower's News Feed. The reality is though @katyC has been active in posting many things, our reach is limited because only recent posts (within a few hours or so) will appear on someone's News Feed. And of course you're competing with "Sponsored posts" and the usual Friends posts, and "Friends of Friends".

This was the end result of our boost:

fb-sao-ii-boost.jpg.a1d26cb4bdd61ee67eca877f299f1205.jpg

For website and forum owners, Facebook is definitely something we can no longer ignore due to its immense popularity..

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I recently boosted a Sword Art Online II post to help promote our episode guide. Budget was $5 across five days. So $1 per day (though it ended up taking about seven days to fully deplete. Very affordable.

We received 82+ likes within 1-2 days for that post as it really boosts it on our follower's News Feed. The reality is though @katyC has been active in posting many things, our reach is limited because only recent posts (within a few hours or so) will appear on someone's News Feed. And of course you're competing with "Sponsored posts" and the usual Friends posts, and "Friends of Friends".

This was the end result of our boost:

[ATTACH=full]274[/ATTACH]

For website and forum owners, Facebook is definitely something we can no longer ignore due to its immense popularity..

I'm glad that our FB page had increased likes and it's very active nya~~

• Like 1
  • Optimistic 1

What do you guys do by the way? Do you become friends with everyone even though you barely see each other or only have close people on your facebook?

I'm cleaning my Facebook every now and then xD

• Like 1

What do you guys do by the way? Do you become friends with everyone even though you barely see each other or only have close people on your facebook?

I'm cleaning my Facebook every now and then xD

Mines so full of people I don't know that I don't even mess with it. I let my parents use it for their games and suddenly it's like 2000+ friends. I only friend people I know irl which doesn't really mean much. I never message anyone on FB >.>

• Friendly 1

That is very kind that you let your parents use it for games! =) Really sweet!

I'm glad that even though you connect your Facebook as a log in account now it doesn't automatically post it online anymore thank goodness. It is handy for lazy people to be able to sign up like that xD

• Friendly 1

I only friend people I know irl which doesn't really mean much. I never message anyone on FB >.>

I only have like 70 friends, I don't like having too much because I don't want my newsfeed to be full of status from people I don't care.

But I usually message people on FB a lot, it's more convenient than email.

I'm glad that even though you connect your Facebook as a log in account now it doesn't automatically post it online anymore thank goodness. It is handy for lazy people to be able to sign up like that xD

I used to connect my FB account with my twitter account and it post things to my FB wall everytime I retweet or do something on twitter, and I usually like to retweet everything I like, that means when I go on my titter homepage, all I do is scroll-scroll-reweet-retweet, so there would be like 20-30 retweets posted to my Fb wall in 15 min.onion-cry2

• Funny 2

Oh wow that's a lot! xD Facebook also has hastags now, but I barely see anyone using them. =O

You'll often see me using hashtags where they don't work as a sort of sarcasm towards social media.

#underground4life

I never use hashtags...

But I might use it on FB page next week cuz I just change the FB page's cover photo and profile pic to moe lolis~~

(FB experiment aiming at fanboys)

#Loliweek ???

#Moeday ???

#Moeweek ???

#Moemoe ???

Can't decide which hashtag should I use.onion-nervous

• Funny 1

I never use hashtags...

But I might use it on FB page next week cuz I just change the FB page's cover photo and profile pic to moe lolis~~

(FB experiment aiming at fanboys)

#Loliweek ???

#Moeday ???

#Moeweek ???

#Moemoe ???

Can't decide which hashtag should I use.onion-nervous

Go with #Moenday because wordplay is always fun xD

Do it again in October and use #Loliween lol

• Creative 1

Go with #Moenday because wordplay is always fun xD

Do it again in October and use #Loliween lol

Then Monday, #Moeday

Saturday #Caturday (post cat ear neko)

Then Monday, #Moeday

Saturday #Caturday (post cat ear neko)

You could have alternatively went with #Sa-dere-day lol or #In-dere-pendenceDay

I think my punny side has been unleashed.

• 5 months later...

Update: I find myself using Facebook less and less these days. Part of the reason is the News Feed, so many sponsored and suggested posts is becoming a turn-off.

Anyone else have any recent FB experiences to share?

I've never been an active facebook user, and have considered deleting it. Perhaps I will when it completely becomes useless. Also, there are several problems with FB.

1. The more likes something has, the quicker it climbs up the News Feed. This is a problem as the more friends you have, the more likes you will get as well. Therefore, friending every single person you can find is the ideal way to get you posts up on someones News Feed. (assuming you don't pay any money)
  2. Privacy. Being tagged in pictures, putting a picture of yourself online, sharing your age, location, and many other factors all violate any sort of privacy. On this note, there is no way to have only certain friends view a post, unless of course, you message them, which defeats the purpose of posting on a wall in the first place.

There are more problems that I could list, but I don't really feel like going into that now. Its just that I don't really see why people are so obsessed with Facebook. Forums do a much better job at creating a nice environment to share stuff.

Also, this is how I think Facebook should work :P

• Funny 1

I love that commercial, <3

As for the topic, IDK. I have two Facebook accounts; one under my real name (that gets absolutely no usage because I don't have friends and stuff IRL, x.x), and I have one under a name that I made up (Aeris Inaba). I mostly just use that second account to keep up with a few friends across the internet and to check and see if any of the character pages I have liked are posting any good pics~

As for the topic, IDK. I have two Facebook accounts; one under my real name (that gets absolutely no usage because I don't have friends and stuff IRL, x.x), and I have one under a name that I made up (Aeris Inaba). I mostly just use that second account to keep up with a few friends across the internet and to check and see if any of the character pages I have liked are posting any good pics~

Wow, I wish I thought of that earlier :? However, if I remember correctly, I didn't develop my online aliases until several years after I made my facebook account.

(that gets absolutely no usage because I don't have friends and stuff IRL, x.x)

Don't worry, you have friends here :)

and I have one under a name that I made up (Aeris Inaba)

You didn't take the name Inaba from Reisen from Touhou by any chance, did you?

Well, I have a bit of a rare situation... I didn't want to make an account because of it (aside from the friendlessness), but after I got some friends on the internet two years ago, they convinced me to make a Facebook account even if it was under a name that I made up myself. So, technically, that account was the first one, for me, x.x

Aeris Inaba comes from two characters. "Aeris" being the apparently mistranslated name of Aerith from FF7 because I like her a lot and have always found that name pretty, and you guessed it. Inaba did indeed come Reisen, the Touhou character, lol. I love Reisen, <3

Don't worry, you have friends here :)

I do? o:

Facebook is interesting I guess. One post I came across or two in this thread mentioned how they dislike the fact that everyone can know about you through it and how there's no privacy or whatever. IMO, I think it's easy to avoid that. Don't do anything questionable and don't post private information about yourself that you wouldn't want everyone to see and if you're with other people and they take a photo of you, ask them not to share that photo or tag you.

That out of the way, I got Facebook back in 2008 because online buddies talked me into it. I rarely used it. I added quite a few people from when I used to play the old free MMORPG, Priston Tale.

Personally, I didn't really start using Facebook until I moved to Japan the first time. My mother got a FB account. It was also super helpful to have when the Tohoku Tsunami/Earthquake hit here back in 2011....especially since I lived in Tohoku. Since the power and stuff was out, couldn't really do anything and nobody knew where I was (including those I was acquainted with here in my town). When I was finally able to use a phone (pay phone), I made an international call home (which the companies were doing for free) and I eased the worries of my parents (who had to tell me what was going on...no power) and they got on Facebook to let everyone I knew (family and friends back home and here in Japan) that I was safe and that I'd taken off for the nearby city because there was electricity, power, and water there.

So yeah....in this regard, Facebook was very useful. I don't really do much on there. I don't really post much, unless it's over something silly, usually or something I want to share (music for instance). Nothing really interesting goes on in my life and there are some things I wouldn't share online anyway. I do like my privacy. I use the private messaging feature more so than anything.

Now something I do dislike about FB, other than interface, are those who do feel they need to share every aspect of their lives. It's their choice, but it just feels so unnecessary.

• 4 months later...

Have like three accounts for Facebook for three different reason. The first one is for my real life friends and family stuffs, Second is for my anime friends which uses facebook a lot to share anime stuffs, and third for a game I'm playing on my First account. :P

I have one account for real life stuff which I've been meaning to delete, but haven't gotten around to yet.

Mind giving it to me Nii-sama, so That I could add you as a friend! :D