How important is anime to you?

JamesValentine

Hi guys, gals, nekos, androids and various other carbon and none carbon based life forms.

I was wondering how Anime/Manga is to YOU?

For me it has been very important even with all the stigma that us fans get labelled with.

I've never grown up with friends or a loving supportive family.

I was and still am I guess bullied my whole life.

I suffer allot from depression, anxiety, self harm and have tried to commit suicide 3 times.

But with Anime I do have friends, I know they aren't real, but my heart doesn't feel that way. If ever I feel down I can use my over active imagination to talk to these characters that have curled up in my heart and feel warmth, happiness and company.

does anyone understand what I mean, or am I just insane?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

When I was younger, anime and communities like this was my shelter. I suffered a bit from social anxiety and so anime was a way for me to divert from actual society. Lol.

I somewhat understand what you are saying. I have the tendency to become emotionally attached to things very easily. Especially stories and characters. In fact, some anime makes me feel so much that I cry from time to time. :D

I find anime as a beautiful entertainment medium. So many titles and genres to choose from. So many potential stories and touching moments. Anime has amazed me both in story, visuals and just being drawn into a new universe of characters and settings.

Various anime titles have made me learn about new things and concepts. Some have even brought tears to my eyes and some have eeringly sent shivers down my spine, whilst others have made me laugh.

I realise this sounds vague, but it seems the more anime titles I watch, the harder I find myself being unable to imagine a life without these beautiful titles. Hence it has become a passion, at least for me.

And a big money drain for the merchandise I keep buying for the titles I love most, but that's a story for another day. ;)

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
When I was younger, anime and communities like this was my shelter. I suffered a bit from social anxiety and so anime was a way for me to divert from actual society. Lol.

Im a little older than some here (as Kirry knows) and didn't get in to anime until well prob two to three years ago

but as much as I am a loner so to speak as I can be with groups but never seem to immerse my self in to groups socially , so I think if I was younger when I got in to anime I may have used it as a shelter or worse and prob ended up as a shut in

I find anime as a beautiful entertainment medium. So many titles and genres to choose from. So many potential stories and touching moments. Anime has amazed me both in story, visuals and just being drawn into a new universe of characters and settings.

Various anime titles have made me learn about new things and concepts. Some have even brought tears to my eyes and some have eeringly sent shivers down my spine, whilst others have made me laugh.

I realise this sounds vague, but it seems the more anime titles I watch, the harder I find myself being unable to imagine a life without these beautiful titles. Hence it has become a passion, at least for me.

but as like Optic but for another reason on the main , but not completely , I also find it a beautiful entertainment medium with so many potential stories from a vast range of genres to choose from

as I was starting to feel driven away from what was on offer in my area for what was available from free to air and even pay'd tv movies and not just the lack of them

but I will also add that more than just enjoyment from anime it has helped me feel emotions that I had never felt before as well as ones I had lost along my life , but I still feel very lacking in normal emotions

Edited by Guest
  • Agree 1

Anime Is Life! For me, it's not just a words, it is the truth. Since I was child, I did not have feelings and sensations. My heart was cold, i didn't like or love anyone despite the fact that many people loved me, but i didn't care. I really didn't have a heart. When i was 14 i watched my first anime episode, it was "Death Note" something weird happened to me, i felt their pain, their hate and their feelings. My second anime was "Plastic Memories" in this anime my whole life changed, i even cried for the first time in my whole life! Thats why i LOVE ANIME.

• Agree 1

Hi guys, gals, nekos, androids and various other carbon and none carbon based life forms.

I was wondering how Anime/Manga is to YOU?

For me it has been very important even with all the stigma that us fans get labelled with.

I've never grown up with friends or a loving supportive family.

I was and still am I guess bullied my whole life.

I suffer allot from depression, anxiety, self harm and have tried to commit suicide 3 times.

But with Anime I do have friends, I know they aren't real, but my heart doesn't feel that way. If ever I feel down I can use my over active imagination to talk to these characters that have curled up in my heart and feel warmth, happiness and company.

does anyone understand what I mean, or am I just insane?

Awh!

Well of course we're real, I mean I know I'm real at least. :P

Hang in there, there's only one way from the bottom! So far you've only been through around 20-25% of estimated lifespan. I know that it seems as though you've already seen everything but I firmly believe that there's a place under the Sun for everyone, you just haven't found it yet. I don't think that it's necessarily bad thing that you're suffering currently either since what doesn't kill you eventually makes you stronger. Only those who know what true sadness is will be able to appreciate true happiness. ^-^

As for how important anime is for me... not that much tbh. It used to be my lifestyle but there's no way I can ever go back now, there's so much more in this world other than anime and I've been fortunate that I've been surrounded with all the people I have who've been able to show me that. ^-^

• Geano locked this topic