What manga are you currently reading?

Belgrade_assassin

Inspired by What book are you currently reading.

This thread is fairly self explanatory, replies should include:

• Name of the manga you're currently reading and brief synopsis of it.

• Number of chapter you're currently on.
  • Spoiler boxes, if there are any spoilers.

• Your impressions so far, pros and cons.
  • Would you recommend it?

PLEASE KEEP ALL REPLIES @T! (on topic)

This is the general idea at least, we'll see how it goes. :)

Right now I'm reading Horimiya.

Brief synopsis:

Hori may seem like a normal teenage girl, but she's a completely different person after school. In her workaholic parents' absence, Hori has been like a parent for her little brother since she was young herself. Between taking care of her brother, feeding them both, and housework, she doesn't have much time for a usual teenage social life. One day, she meets someone else who does not present his true self at school: a quiet, glasses-wearing boy called Miyamura. She'd assumed he was bookish, and possibly an otaku, but Hori couldn't have been more wrong. Outside of school, Miyamura is a friendly guy with many piercings, and he's not very good at academics. Now the two of them have someone with whom they can share both halves of their lives!

It's a light-hearted Slice of life (I have no idea why MAL added Shounen there...) and I guess that one could call it a typical school/romance type of manga.

Where I'm currently at: So far I've read 50 chapters and I've got my fair share of amusing and annoying moments while reading this.

Pros: I like the whole double opposites thing they've got going on, our protagonists are completely different both at school and outside of it which makes for some fun moments.

Cons: My main complaint with this manga is that it's progressing very slowly. There are lots of fillers and per every volume (around 7-8 chapters) there are only 2-3 chapters where something actually meaningful happens.

Would I recommend it? Only if you're fan of genre. It's well written but it's nothing spectacular. It's good at what it's trying to be but don't expect much outside of those bounds.

*@mods I've tried to look if similar thread exists already but couldn't find it. Feel free to delete or edit this post.*

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Name of the manga: One Punch-Man

Synopsis:

The seemingly ordinary and unimpressive Saitama has a rather unique hobby: being a hero. In order to pursue his childhood dream, he trained relentlessly for three years—and lost all of his hair in the process. Now, Saitama is incredibly powerful, so much so that no enemy is able to defeat him in battle. In fact, all it takes to defeat evildoers with just one punch has led to an unexpected problem—he is no longer able to enjoy the thrill of battling and has become quite bored.

This all changes with the arrival of Genos, a 19-year-old cyborg, who wishes to be Saitama's disciple after seeing what he is capable of. Genos proposes that the two join the Hero Association in order to become certified heroes that will be recognized for their positive contributions to society, and Saitama, shocked that no one knows who he is, quickly agrees. And thus begins the story of One Punch Man, an action-comedy that follows an eccentric individual who longs to fight strong enemies that can hopefully give him the excitement he once felt and just maybe, he'll become popular in the process.

Number of chapter: 70.2

Pros: Comedy and fantasy, full of suspense and excitement.

Cons: The main character is full of criticism. Compares with many other main characters.

Would you recommend it? Yes.

• Agree 1

Inspired by What book are you currently reading.

This thread is fairly self explanatory, replies should include:

• Name of the manga you're currently reading and brief synopsis of it.

• Number of chapter you're currently on.
  • Spoiler boxes, if there are any spoilers.

• Your impressions so far, pros and cons.
  • Would you recommend it?

PLEASE KEEP ALL REPLIES @T! (on topic)

This is the general idea at least, we'll see how it goes. :)

Right now I'm reading Horimiya.

Brief synopsis:

Hori may seem like a normal teenage girl, but she's a completely different person after school. In her workaholic parents' absence, Hori has been like a parent for her little brother since she was young herself. Between taking care of her brother, feeding them both, and housework, she doesn't have much time for a usual teenage social life. One day, she meets someone else who does not present his true self at school: a quiet, glasses-wearing boy called Miyamura. She'd assumed he was bookish, and possibly an otaku, but Hori couldn't have been more wrong. Outside of school, Miyamura is a friendly guy with many piercings, and he's not very good at academics. Now the two of them have someone with whom they can share both halves of their lives!

It's a light-hearted Slice of life (I have no idea why MAL added Shounen there...) and I guess that one could call it a typical school/romance type of manga.

Where I'm currently at: So far I've read 50 chapters and I've got my fair share of amusing and annoying moments while reading this.

Pros: I like the whole double opposites thing they've got going on, our protagonists are completely different both at school and outside of it which makes for some fun moments.

Cons: My main complaint with this manga is that it's progressing very slowly. There are lots of fillers and per every volume (around 7-8 chapters) there are only 2-3 chapters where something actually meaningful happens.

Would I recommend it? Only if you're fan of genre. It's well written but it's nothing spectacular. It's good at what it's trying to be but don't expect much outside of those bounds.

*@mods I've tried to look if similar thread exists already but couldn't find it. Feel free to delete or edit this post.*

UPDATE:

Dropped at chapter 67 since it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. It's progression rate is way too slow for my taste and it's now becoming more of a chore to read rather than enjoyment.

Edited by Guest

• 3 months later...

Bleach

Been trying to finish for like 4months, currently at chapter 600+, so nearly done.

Would reccomend the first arc, masterpiece in my eyes, but everything downhill after that. Character just kinda disappeared with cliche every arc

Haven't started yet, but about to start a Korean comic known as Killing Stalking, based on a recommendation from a family member. Based on their comments on it, I have high expectations. I hope it pans out.

I read Hajime No Ippo once in a great while. I don't quite remember how I started, though I have skipped several volumes worth of content when things seemed like they were getting a bit too samey. That's about it at the moment... I should probably correct that.

I'm reading so much stuff I can't even remember sometimes what I'm reading so I created a notepad for it. I'm currently reading:

° Inuyashiki

° Dr. Stone

° Kakegurui

° Nanatsu no Taizai

° Overlord

° Keijo

° One Punch Man

° Bungou Stray Dogs

° Hajimete no Gal

° Prison School

° Boruto

° Dead Tube

° Yakushoku Distpiari - Gesellshaft Blue

° Gate

° HunterXHunter

° Dolly Kill Kill

° Dagashi Kashi

° Owari no Seraph

° Magi

° Gantz:G

° I am a hero

° Shingeki no Kyojin

° Freezing

° Big Order

° Blood Lad

°Sekirei

This are the ones that haven't finished yet, I still have more that are already over, like Air Gear.

It's quite the list. So much to read, so little time.

CF6BC.jpg.f165d12252d217d1f98f651933f53579.jpg

I don't actually read a lot of manga at all. I kept up with Attack on Titan for a while, before deciding to just wait for it to come out as the anime. I like manga, but I think that I'm just generally terrible at remembering to check-in on a consistent basis. Soooo, I don't even bother. :'(

I'm currently keeping up with Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon, because ummm... I don't even know why it clicks with me, but I like dragons so maybe that's just it. :angel: Either way, I've read the whole thing twice or thrice at this point, and I basically just sit around waiting for new stuff while being filled with angst.

• Like 1

I'm currently keeping up with Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon, because ummm... I don't even know why it clicks with me, but I like dragons so maybe that's just it. :angel: Either way, I've read the whole thing twice or thrice at this point, and I basically just sit around waiting for new stuff while being filled with angst.

I still need, desperately, to read this thing.

• Agree 2

Now that Seven seas is releasing it digitally, I have been thinking of checking out that series, but, unfortunately, my budget is a bit tight right now, and already following a bunch of series.

I am currently reading Kyokou Suiri, which is a series about a man who is dragged along by a mysterious girl to take out an apparition that is wreaking havoc, but the apparition is not like any other.

It is no Pandora Hearts, but I am really enjoying it, after having read eight or so chapters.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I'm reading so much stuff I can't even remember sometimes what I'm reading so I created a notepad for it. I'm currently reading:

° Inuyashiki

° Dr. Stone

° Kakegurui

° Nanatsu no Taizai

° Overlord

° Keijo

° One Punch Man

° Bungou Stray Dogs

° Hajimete no Gal

° Prison School

° Boruto

° Dead Tube

° Yakushoku Distpiari - Gesellshaft Blue

° Gate

° HunterXHunter

° Dolly Kill Kill

° Dagashi Kashi

° Owari no Seraph

° Magi

° Gantz:G

° I am a hero

° Shingeki no Kyojin

° Freezing

° Big Order

° Blood Lad

°Sekirei

This are the ones that haven't finished yet, I still have more that are already over, like Air Gear.

It's quite the list. So much to read, so little time.

[ATTACH=full]31346[/ATTACH]

Teru, I feel your pain. I'm pretty much the same way with anime. I have a ton of anime that will replace the ones I'm currently watching right now with...and then I'll proceed to pile a ton of more anime onto myself... :meh:

Regardless, can you please tell me if Dagashi Kashi is any good?

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

D.Gray-man

Premise: Set in the 19th century, it tells the story of a young Allen Walker, who joins an organization of exorcists named the Black Order. They use an ancient substance, Innocence, to combat a man known as the Millennium Earl and his demonic army of Akuma who intend to destroy humanity.

Currently on: Chapter 13.

Take: It is surprisingly dark so far, so I'm enjoying it and don't really have anything in particular I dislike about it.

Teru, I feel your pain. I'm pretty much the same way with anime. I have a ton of anime that will replace the ones I'm currently watching right now with...and then I'll proceed to pile a ton of more anime onto myself... :meh:

Regardless, can you please tell me if Dagashi Kashi is any good?

Dagashi Kashi is good but after something like 50 chapters you're already used to the same things, it's just candy after all. In my opinion is only worth reading if you like the characters so much that you don't mind seeing the same plot over and over.

• Informative 1

World Trigger

Premise: When a gate to another world suddenly opens on Earth, Mikado City is invaded by strange creatures known as "Neighbors," malicious beings impervious to traditional weaponry. In response to their arrival, an organization called the Border Defense Agency has been established to combat the Neighbor menace through special weapons called "Triggers." Even though several years have passed after the gate first opened, Neighbors are still a threat and members of Border remain on guard to ensure the safety of the planet.

Currently on: Chapter 76.

Take: It's not very often you find a science fiction manga outside of mech, I feel, so it's refreshing. There is a good story and good action, but characters seem to be able to come up with plans without any prior knowledge of the situation, somehow being 2 steps ahead. Maybe that's just to show how well-coordinated they are, still...it didn't feel like that before.

D.Gray-man

Premise: Set in the 19th century, it tells the story of a young Allen Walker, who joins an organization of exorcists named the Black Order. They use an ancient substance, Innocence, to combat a man known as the Millennium Earl and his demonic army of Akuma who intend to destroy humanity.

Currently on: Chapter 13.

Take: It is surprisingly dark so far, so I'm enjoying it. It does start off a little iffy, but it gets good really fast.

Fruits Basket

Premise: After the accident in which she lost her mother, 16-year-old Tohru moves in with her grandfather, but due to his home being renovated, is unable to continue living with him. Claiming she will find someone to stay with but also fearing the criticism of her family and not wanting to burden any of her friends, Tohru resorts to secretly living on her own in a tent in the woods. Yuki Souma, the "prince" of her school, and his cousin Shigure Souma, a famous author, stumble across Tooru's situation and invite her to stay with them. She soon learns the Sohma family's secret, 13 members of their family are possessed by spirits of the zodiac animals, when they are hugged by the opposite gender or weak, they turn into their respective animal.

Currently on: Chapter 83.

Take: It is a very sad, but also somewhat sweet series. But right now, they keep alternating between Tohru's and Yuki's story, which is kind of annoying.

Kare Kano

Premise: Miyazawa Yukino is the perfect student. Kind, intelligent, pretty and modest, it's unbelievable that such a person could exist. Little did everyone know Yukino's perfection was just a facade. An act to fulfill her desire for praise and admiration. Her life took a turn however, as a newcomer to their school Arima Soichiro topped the exam rankings. Arima is more than just intelligent, he's also kind, handsome and modest, an unbelievable person who can actually exist. Even worse luck, Arima found out Yukino's secret, blackmailing her to help him out. Their odd relationship soon develops into friendship and eventually into love. But can their love prevail through the many problems that come their way?

Currently on: Chapter 8.

Take: I can sympathize with the characters, but the story feels a bit bare-bones, like they'll run out of story at any moment.