Trash bin subforum.

Belgrade_assassin

Question

14 answers to this question

I think that those dead threads clog up the system which is why there are so many threads and there's not much forum activity. I'd rather have 3 active threads than having to dig through bunch of inactive ones. While we're at it even subforum structure is kinda confusing since this thread could've easily been posted in Japanese Lifestyle culture instead of General Anime. Trash bin would be a good place to start addressing these issues.

That thread was posted by @Optic -senpai tho.

But hey, Necroposting isn't even a problem here. You could revive a 2-year old thread and it's fine. lol.

imo, I don't like Necroposting. The dead should remain dead and same goes for dead threads. lol.

I don't mind reviving some old threads but there are lots of threads that aren't relevant any more and that can't be resurrected even if you intended to do so. It is only a suggestion after all, I'm a very neat and organized person and I prefer minimalist approach so for me less is more. I think it'd be useful but at the same time I trust in Optic's vision of this place so his word will be the last on this matter ofc. :)

Not necessarily although it would be beneficial given sheer number of threads in current General Anime. There are currently 346 threads in General Anime alone, that's a huge number... Something needs to be done, Trash Bin would only be a beginning but even that wouldn't solve it. In the end the only way I see this issue being solved is by making a number of new subforums. Maybe a ''Recommendations and Identifications'' for recommendation and identification threads?

Let's just put like this, I've been a member of this forum for 2-3 months now (maybe even more) and I don't think I've ever went past page 2 when it comes to threads in General Anime. If I didn't do it in all this time there's no way newbies would, or rather it's unrealistic to expect that.

Wodahs

Ratings Received:+223 / 1

Credits:11,930

Belgrade_assassin

Let's just put like this, I've been a member of this forum for 2-3 months now (maybe even more) and I don't think I've ever went past page 2 when it comes to threads in General Anime. If I didn't do it in all this time there's no way newbies would, or rather it's unrealistic to expect that.

ive been here a mere month more and ive been past page 2 and found them interesting reads necromanced the odd thread that I had interest in rather than start a new

so we have forum areas that well as put need sub forum areas then well should we then make each sub forum split for old situations/anime/whatever as apposed to a sub forum for new of the same then have sub forums for genre's or even more sub forums for the full range of age situations and so on and so on and well where do we end ????

not saying that the odd thread may need to be wiped like im bored some one talk with me oh ok we have discord for that thread dead

but Optic did a clean up of some threads like this a little whiles back when he made some other changes to certain pages and wall papers in nov/dec

Edited by Guest

also having said that if why worry about the pages you don't want to go to as you don't need to open them if you don't want to and forget about them rather than worry about getting them in to a trash can

as no matter how many sub forums you have you will still have the same amount of threads that you wont want to read just spread else where

A lot of the "dead" threads aren't really dead because of lack of interest, so much as it's because at one point in time, there were few active members and those few members were only posting in select threads. During the summer when I joined, many topics just floated away because there weren't many people here. A lot of the threads being posted in currently, have been revived by newer members or by members like me who went back a few pages and bumped them.

But I do see your point. There are some quite inactive threads that could be moved, combined or let go. Whether it be because they've been answered or resolved, or whatever the case be. I know Optic did do a lot of merging and things of that nature not long ago. But in any case, Optic can better address your issues and maybe create a system for this. ^_^

• Agree 1

ive been here a mere month more and ive been past page 2 and found them interesting reads necromanced the odd thread that I had interest in rather than start a new

I've got nothing against old threads that could possibly be revived like threads related to some past series, character, OST, etc. Indeed, why would you start a new one when there's already an existing thread like that?

You could do the same in Trash Bin section and promote them from over there, you're not supposed to dig through General Anime. So yh I believe that those past threads dedicated to a particular anime series should remain but that General Anime should still be reorganized. While we're at it, I don't understand the necessity for making new threads per each episode like we do in Episode Discussion, why not instead make one thread per series and discuss it there? This way we're making way too much spam, most of them don't even have a single reply...

so we have forum areas that well as put need sub forum areas then well should we then make each sub forum split for old situations/anime/whatever as apposed to a sub forum for new of the same then have sub forums for genre's or even more sub forums for the full range of age situations and so on and so on and well where do we end ????

not saying that the odd thread may need to be wiped like im bored some one talk with me oh ok we have discord for that thread dead

There's a better way to do that by sorting them under tags (#sliceoflife, #2017 or #winter2017, #summer2016, etc.). This should be enough for anyone who's looking for something old or new, shoujo or shounen, or reviews of all anime from particular season (if anyone would be interested in such thing). Another way to promote new series over old ones is by making them into sticky threads, perhaps while they're ongoing at least. Above mentioned problem is easily avoidable.

but Optic did a clean up of some threads like this a little whiles back when he made some other changes to certain pages and wall papers in nov/dec

I'm not sure if these changes will ever stop since it's only natural that AF's constantly evolving. I don't think that proposed measures would fully solve this problem (the way I see it at least) it's only a step in the right direction towards solution.

also having said that if why worry about the pages you don't want to go to as you don't need to open them if you don't want to and forget about them rather than worry about getting them in to a trash can

I'm worried because I feel as though I could be missing something out. I would perhaps dig through them if I knew that there's a point in digging but honestly I don't see one atm. I don't want to look through endless swamp of someone's AMV playlists, questions from 6-7 months ago that even if those could be answered now person who asked them probably wouldn't even care anymore, not to mention that they're no longer active anymore. The way it is now General Anime is Trash Bin of AF which some don't mind and others do. I'm well aware that I'm not alone here and that AF is a community so I'm here to look at both sides of argument all in order to make AF a better experience overall.

So here's a new proposed structure for Anime section:

se5e0j.png.49f461d9d6e7cd69bb5f925356cfb624.png

So basically there would be one main subforum where everything anime related would be. Episodes Discussion would pretty much be deleted and moved into Anime Series Discussion in different format (to avoid future spam threads), recommendations and identifications would be moved to a new subforum dedicated to those (there are already so many of them that only makes sense) and hopefully that'll make AF easier to navigate.

as no matter how many sub forums you have you will still have the same amount of threads that you wont want to read just spread else where

I wouldn't mind having 500+ threads in Trash Bin as long they were in Trash Bin, if you feel up for some gold digging go for it. That's kinda what Trash Bin would be for anyway and not what how General Anime should operate.

Why not just combined the threads that kind of have the same topic. The inactive ones may become active sooner or later when a new forum member would dig it up and such :)

That's kinda what I have in mind for current Episode Discussion and you wouldn't have to make new threads if there is already an existing one. I have nothing against bunch of threads, as long as they don't clog up existing system. If you feel like digging then go for it.

A lot of the "dead" threads aren't really dead because of lack of interest, so much as it's because at one point in time, there were few active members and those few members were only posting in select threads. During the summer when I joined, many topics just floated away because there weren't many people here. A lot of the threads being posted in currently, have been revived by newer members or by members like me who went back a few pages and bumped them.

Rarely any thread is really dead, almost any thread can be revived if one really wants to do so.

This isn't supposed to be a major reform that would lead to deletion of over half of existing threads, instead it's supposed to improve navigation and reorganize them. No one would really lose anything and I believe it would improve overall experience. :)

EDIT:

Anime Series Discussion already exists as Title Discussion and I wouldn't change necessarily change that expect fo the whole merger between it and Episodes Discussion. So I'd be okay even if that remained a subforum, that's only a matter of semantics.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1