Who else thinks mangas deserve more credits?

Bakuganfan01

When I was 7 I watched One Piece, and I loved it! When I was 9 I read the One Piece manga, and I hated it. Last year I read the manga again and I thought myself: "OMG, how stupid could I be?". Back then I was an ignorant kid who was like "Nonono, books are stupid, Tv is better!". Much later I realized that mangas are just as good as anime-if not better. Mangas are harder to make and if you make them good enough, they're art. Who else agrees with me? Write it in the comments.

• Like 1

I have always loved manga and it does deserve the most credit. Anime wouldn't be as good without its manga counterpart to animate. I hate when anime's veer away from the manga plot because 9 times out of 10 the manga has the better story.

I don't read as much manga as I use too. it's a shame. I really should.

I think anime is harder to make imo.

But hey, there are some titles out there that have better manga than anime. (I'm looking at you Tokyo Ghoul, you piece of animated ****. Ahem)

I definitely prefer reading Manga over watching anime. However, I don't have a top-tier patience unlike some. I actually dropped a Manga once just because the next chapter didn't come out for a week. So yeah.

• Agree 1

So are we talking about this forum or public interest in general?

I believe that manga already gets enough recognition outside of AF so I don't really see any problem there. Comparison to books was a appropriate one and same could be said for pretty much any type of media. I don't think that books or manga are good or bad for anyone, you can't just sit through and read a book in order to understand it and gain something from it and same goes for manga. Personally, I lean towards source material since I like authentic stories but that's just my personal preference. That isn't always the case though and that's the thing, books/manga aren't always better than movie/anime.

Sometimes they go their separate ways like in Shaman King where anime series at one point surpassed manga and eventually had a completely different story development and ending. The weird thing is that I've liked anime ending way more than one manga had. Anime had a more simplistic approach and a straightforward story, while manga branched off in many different directions and it way too complex for its own good. Obviously I'm not saying that Shaman King anime is better than Shaman King manga since it's matter of personal preference, but I don't think that I would've liked series as much if I've only read manga.

Sometimes this can also happen with movies, Lovely Bones for example.

Just a quick disclaimer: I didn't read the book with this one!

So why am I taking this movie as an example then? I didn't like Lovely Bones for its amazing plot or characters or whatnot since I'm simply not a fan of the genre, only reason why I've watched Lovely Bones and liked it in the end was amazing scenery. That could've been accomplished in a book, I'm not saying that that's not the case, but during the whole run time it felt as if it was screaming 'THIS WAS MADE/WRITTEN TO EVENTUALLY BECOME A MOVIE!' since it was always supposed to be a CGI spectacle. I own the book and might read it one day so there might be an update later on.

When you think of Harry, Ron and Hermione you think of Daniel, Rupert and Emma. Emma in particular was the problematic one out of the bunch since she was way too good looking to play Hermione, which became more apparent in later movies when her character had confidence issues regarding her looks which didn't really came through in movies. Still, pretty much everyone fondly remembers these 3 as big parts of our childhoods even if they didn't remain faithful to the source.

With each new adaptations existing stories gain and lose certain aspects they've previously had and eventually become a stand-alone pieces of work. Books and movies won't ever be identical, or necessarily better than one another, they're different types of media with different challenges and complications to work around. Same goes for audiences since simply reading a book or watching a supposedly good movie won't necessarily guarantee that YOU'll personally have a good time or same experience as others. Being versatile and adopting best of both worlds (as Hannah would say) is indeed the best way to truly study any work, and the more mediums you have access to (affinity towards reading books, watching movies, listening to the music, etc.), the richer you are as a person.

Finally I'd like to see manga related threads under anime subforum rather than hobbies since two are closely connected and pretty much on equal footing, even on Anime Forums.

• Agree 1

Manga > anime for me. It's been over 10 years since I've avidly watched anything, unless revisiting an older series. Anime just doesn't hold my attention like it used to.

I did get some recommendations like Joker's Game and I was legit interested in Attorney Phoenix, but grew bored of both. I was recently recommended Gintama. I may check it out. The only anime I'm still semi keeping up with are the Detective Conan films (stopped watching the anime about 6 or 7 years ago, but still read it) and Digimon Adventure Tri, which I would be ditching if my curiosity wasn't so high. As a matter of fact, I'm going to the theater today to watch the latter's fourth installment.

Seems manga holds my attention more than anime. I tend to eventually finish those. lol

So anyway, I do feel manga deserves more credit.

Edited by Guest