I actually think Scarlett Johansson will be better then an asian the Ghost in the Shell Live Action

Kingxiao

Asians are hot too btw. I haven't seen Ghost in the shell yet, but if she was Asian in the anime then she should have been Asian in the live action. I still think it will be good though.

Edited by Guest

that's fairly blunt to the point and I also tend to disagree

better then an Asian , there are some extremely hot Asians out there as well

as hot as she may be doesn't mean that she will be suited well to the roll or the role be suited well for her

I wont say she wont be good in Ghost in the Shell but I cant say she will be the best and that there wont be any better

• Agree 1

that's fairly blunt to the point and I also tend to disagree

better then an Asian , there are some extremely hot Asians out there as well

as hot as she may be doesn't mean that she will be suited well to the roll or the role be suited well for her

I wont say she wont be good in Ghost in the Shell but I cant say she will be the best and that there wont be any better

I can't say I didn't do it, but i think it's best not engage Kingxaio too seriously. I believe they are simply trying to troll the forums to get a reaction out of us all. Can't say I'm shocked, it's bound to happen, but I'm not sure we should be taking them too seriously.

• Agree 2

Back to topic, I really don't understand why they cast Scarlett Johansson in the first place, but okay. She does not fit the role at all imo. Way to americanize another anime movie that was perfectly fine the way it was. The character's name is clearly known as Motoko Kusanagi and not entirely referred to as Major, so yeah, an Asian would be better for the role.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Back to topic, I really don't understand why they cast Scarlett Johansson in the first place, but okay. She does not fit the role at all imo. Way to americanize another anime movie that was perfectly fine the way it was. The character's name is clearly known as Motoko Kusanagi and not entirely referred to as Major, so yeah, an Asian would be better for the role.

My one thing with this, is regardless of her given name, The Major has a lot of removable parts, meaning she could have easily been any race at any time. That doesn't mean that it's okay, but the argument of "She should have been Asian" doesn't really take that into account, and what's more, "She should have been Japanese" should be the real argument.

• Like 1

My one thing with this, is regardless of her given name, The Major has a lot of removable parts, meaning she could have easily been any race at any time. That doesn't mean that it's okay, but the argument of "She should have been Asian" doesn't really take that into account, and what's more, "She should have been Japanese" should be the real argument.

Yep, making her Japanese would've been even better. But knowing Hollywood, they wouldn't have cast a Japanese actress for the role. Maybe Rinko Kikuchi, but that's about it. Remember when the main female cast of Memoirs of a Geisha were Chinese actresses? As long as it sells well, they don't care about casting what we would believe to be the right choice. Scarlett Johansson is a well-known actress in the west (mostly due to her looks, which aren't THAT great imo) and of course with a famous actress in the leading role, they're practically assuming that it'll be a hit anyways and also aim for those not familiar with the franchise.

• Agree 2

Yep, making her Japanese would've been even better. But knowing Hollywood, they wouldn't have cast a Japanese actress for the role. Maybe Rinko Kikuchi, but that's about it. Remember when the main female cast of Memoirs of a Geisha were Chinese actresses? As long as it sells well, they don't care about casting what we would believe to be the right choice. Scarlett Johansson is a well-known actress in the west (mostly due to her looks, which aren't THAT great imo) and of course with a famous actress in the leading role, they're practically assuming that it'll be a hit anyways and also aim for those not familiar with the franchise.

Isn't that the point of the Hollywood blockbuster though, to make it bigger than it's source material was, while still bringing in it's fans from before the blockbuster. It's kind of hard to fault Hollywood for that after successes like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, just to name a few out of many.

Isn't that the point of the Hollywood blockbuster though, to make it bigger than it's source material was, while still bringing in it's fans from before the blockbuster. It's kind of hard to fault Hollywood for that after successes like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, just to name a few out of many.

You're right on that one. I also believe that many, who are not familiar with its source material, are gonna enjoy this movie a lot. I highly assume that this is what the producers were aiming to do, reaching an audience who are not that familiar with anime.

• Geano locked this topic