Whats your favorite Anime Genre?

Mazino

I would like to know your opinions about your favorite Anime genres, which you like and which you dislike.

You're free to post a few examples of animes of the specific genre and tell us why you prefer them over all the others.

Feel free to post your point of view and let's discuss it together!

Anime recommendations are warmly welcome yay :angel:

• Like 2

My favorite anime genre is Fantasy because I love to have magic and other worldly powers and odd phenomena inside a good adventure/story. My 2nd 3rd and 4th is Adventure, Comedy, slice of life and shounen. I am bad at recommending specific anime but here are a few good anime I personally like: Aesthetic of a rouge hero, Charlotte, Sao, Miss Kobayashis dragon maid.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

My favorite genre for most of the time I've been into anime is Slice of Life. A lot of people say they get bored by a normal setting with no action, but character development has always been what got me to like shows in the first place, at least since adulthood. A good story being told to me, is at least, the best reason to watch an anime, and often times, other genre's focus on other things just enough that the character development isn't quite what I want it to be. It makes me glad when I say that though that anime like FMA and Attack On Titan exist because the characters are handled really well in those cases.

• Agree 2

Slice of life is underrated in my opinion.

I have been into this genre since one year ago and i find it quite nice, even though at first time it was kinda difficult to get used to it as it contains obviously almost no action/ fight scenes, for those people who are a huge fan of SAO/AOT would be wrong at place so as me but after a few tries i liked it. Highly recommended!!!

Natsume Yuujinchou - if you like japenese culture and this genre then you should at least consider watching this one.

Flying Witch - Do you like witchs? Do you like Fantasy and slice of life mixed together into one? This is probably what you are looking for ;)

Kyouko no Katana - It's kinda hard to tell whether it belongs to slice of life or just to action and romance but i'm adding this in advance.

What do you guys think? Is it worth trying a new genre such as slice of life or it's just a waste of time?

Edited by Guest
  • Agree 2

Definitely the biggest fan of psychological thrillers and horror.

I came here to say this, basically. With that said, I'm always disappointed with how rare good horror anime seem to be - in fact, having just scanned through Anime-Planet's fairly brief listing of horror tagged anime, there are only three series in the entire seven page list that I both considered to actually be horror-esque, and actually enjoyed. I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised by that however, given that horror in general tends to be a genre that - regardless of format - has an absurdly low success rate in media.

Though I suppose being excessively picky doesn't help.

• Like 2

While Psychological is my top 1, I'm fine with almost every genre, even yuri and shounen-ai. However, I absolutely despise Mecha. Even though I watched Code Geass, I loved it for the awesome story. I just wanna puke everytime those metallic things was on-screen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

While Psychological is my top 1, I'm fine with almost every genre, even yuri and shounen-ai. However, I absolutely despise Mecha. Even though I watched Code Geass, I loved it for the awesome story. I just wanna puke everytime those metallic things was on-screen.

I feel ya bro...

I personally prefer drama anime, I like to be able to relate to the characters and I like it when there is meaning in the story.

I happened to have written a review for Nagi No Asukara:

Nagi No Asukara, which literally translate into Until The Calm Tommorrow, but is known in america as Nagi-Asu: A Lull In The Sea, is a 2013 anime series from P.A. Works.

1,000 years ago, all men lived under the sea blessed by the Sea God, able to breathe with ena, but some humans desired to live beyond the surface. Eventually, these humans lost their ena as they evolved.

Jump forward to the present, we are introduced to the main characters, Hikari Sakishima, Manaka Mukaido, Chisaki Hiradaira and Kaname Isaki. After the their school in the sea burnt down, these four have to attend Mihama Middle School on the surface. What follows is their struggles to adjust to a new environment and the prejudice that occurs between the sea and land people, along with their newfound feelings towards eachother. Focusing on many different kind of relations and the unfairness of love.

The artstyle is stunning, with pretty scenery, cute characters and beautiful visuals, it is clear a lot of deal went into the production.

The fanservice is moderate in terms of frequency but occasionally has nudity.

8.8/10

• Like 1

I feel ya bro...

I can't stand mecha either lol. Wonder what it is that turns us all away.

I personally prefer drama anime, I like to be able to relate to the characters and I like it when there is meaning in the story.

Did you watch Rakugo? What'd you think? I know that, pretty much objectively, it was a good anime, but it was too slow and I couldn't get into it.

I bet is the human factor. People vs people is interesting people vs machine or even machine vs machine is boring for some reason.

I bet is the human factor. People vs people is interesting people vs machine or even machine vs machine is boring for some reason.

Yeah, agreed. Though some machine flicks, like Pacific Rim or Eva did it well, imo. I think those shows conveyed the scope of the battles much better than most mecha anime though.

Eh? I can't say I've even heard of that anime.

Check it out! https://myanimelist.net/anime/28735/Shouwa_Genroku_Rakugo_Shinjuu I bet you'll like it.

My Favorite Anime's are:

- Your Lie in April

- Miss Kobayashi's Maid Dragon

- K-On!

- Steins; Gate

- White Album 2

- Kill la Kill

- Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt

- Your Name

- Hanasaku Iroha

I think that list says a lot about my taste in anime/ my favorite genres. These genres are mainly, Slice-of-Life, Romance and Drama. With a little bit of Action, Sci-Fi and Mystery sometimes. I also really enjoy shows that are hilariously insane like Panty and Stocking, and to a lesser extent Kill la Kill.

• Agree 1

My favorite genres would have to be horror, psychological horror, thriller, and mystery.

I enjoy a well put together horror show but they're usually hard to find ...

I'd have to say slice of life or romance Anime's are my least favorite, just because I have no way of relating to any of the characters ... I find it easier to relate to those in horror or thriller Anime's because it's a different situation than the "Normal" life style that I never had and therefor can't relate to.

I haven't watched any Mecha Anime but I do plan on watching Code Geass because it looks quiet interesting.

Although, seeing an interesting looking Anime with a Mecha based premise usually does turn my away from it ...

I'm going to recommend some other drama series. Cool?

Fruits Basket - You've most likely heard of this one. Tohru Honda is a orphan who, due to renovations on the house of the grandfather who took her in, started to live in a tent and forced to support herself. After Yuki and Shigure Sohma stumble upon her living conditions, they take her in. But soon, she discovers the curse of the Sohma family, they are possessed by spirits of the Chinese Zodiac and turn into their zodiac animal when they are weak or hugged by someone of the opposite sex. The series actually gets pretty dark.

QQ Sweeper - In the old building at their school, a mysterious room has a door that beckons Fumi Nishioka, even though she shouldn’t be able to see it! Kyutaro goes in after her, but will he be able to save her before she’s devoured by otherworldly creatures? It continues into a seires called Queen's Quality, which I have yet to start.

The Lost Village - Different individuals gather on a bus for people who desire to run away from their live and start new leafs. They are bound for Nanaki Village. It doesn't take long for things to go wrong. The series is somewhere between a drama and a psychological thriller.

Kokoro Connect - The story involves five high school students—Taichi, Iori, Himeko, Yoshifumi, and Yui—who are all members of the Student Cultural Research Club. They begin swapping bodies with one another, caused by a entity known as Heartseed, for it's own entertainment. While dealing with this phenomenon, whether forcibly or intentionally, they learn more about eachother and how to deal with their individual problems.

And since you guys were talking about slice of life anime, I'll recommend one as well.

Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto - Sakamoto is the coolest guy in school, everything he does, he does with style. Being incredibly popular the the ladies, he is hated by the boys at his school. The scenarios are ridiculous, perhaps, but this anime has a lot of heart. There are some sweet and sad moments, and ultimately some good morals. Whether you go with the manga or anime, it's the same experience either way.

Edited by Guest

I love drama/romance, mecha, crime solving, psychological/thriller, science-fiction mecha and horror genre in anime.

Anything that gets my heart pounding and eyes all a flutter is good watching by me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to know your opinions about your favorite Anime genres, which you like and which you dislike.

You're free to post a few examples of animes of the specific genre and tell us why you prefer them over all the others.

My favorite anime genre is shonen. Shows such as Naruto, Bleach, Attack on Titan and Fullmetal Alchemist incorporate the right balance of action and comedy to broaden their entertainment values.

My favorite anime genre is shonen. Shows such as Naruto, Bleach, Attack on Titan and Fullmetal Alchemist incorporate the right balance of action and comedy to broaden their entertainment values.

My all-time favorite anime genre is horror. If it isn't horrible, I'll probably end up watching it at some point. With that said, I consider a lot of horror anime to be pretty darned horrible, but the ones I like redeem the genre for me. :angel:

My second favorite is thrillers. I love a good, slow burn thriller. Preferably the kind that creates that uncomfortable squirming tension in the back of my neck and keeps me up at night with paranoid delusions (hullo Monster :crazy:).

However, I absolutely despise Mecha. Even though I watched Code Geass, I loved it for the awesome story. I just wanna puke everytime those metallic things was on-screen.

I think that I'm getting there. I keep watching mecha anime, and I keep finishing mecha anime, and every single darned time.... I end up horrifically disappointed with the direction that the story took. I'm not so sure that I can do another one. I get a little :sick: every single time I think about watching yet another mecha anime.

At this point, I think I'm burned out of watching entire seasons with my fingers crossed waiting for the "amazing muchness" that everyone seems to be saying is going to happen. Blah.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Honestly, I cannot really put it into words.

Many titles I like today could be consider romance, but I feel more at home with just a good story, mystery, or comedy.

Such examples include:

Barakamon

Clannad

Your Lie in April

Baka & Test

D-Frag!

and that is about it.

Only genres I stay away from are hentai, yuri, and yaoi.

• Like 1

• Geano locked this topic