Anime Convention & Cosplay Discussion

Optic

Please direct all general discussion relating to anime conventions and cosplay to this thread. :)

Requested by @NightDancer

Awesome!! Thank you!! =D

This weekend I will be cosplaying as Leafa from Alfheim Online, her costume wasn't easy to make! Her hair is so long that I needed two wigs to make it. I even ordered green contacts with my strength to improve my look. I have made her weapon/sword but I haven't finished her wings yet! =( I hope I will be able to finish them on time, if not photoshop? xD

Photos will be posted Sunday I hope!

• Like 1

Awesome!! Thank you!! =D

This weekend I will be cosplaying as Leafa from Alfheim Online, her costume wasn't easy to make! Her hair is so long that I needed two wigs to make it. I even ordered green contacts with my strength to improve my look. I have made her weapon/sword but I haven't finished her wings yet! =( I hope I will be able to finish them on time, if not photoshop? xD

Photos will be posted Sunday I hope!

I am looking forward to seeing this cosplay! I am very impressed that you made it yourself. I never made my own costumes or anything... haha I was never really good at cosplaying that is really something to keep in the past.

I am looking forward to seeing this cosplay! I am very impressed that you made it yourself. I never made my own costumes or anything... haha I was never really good at cosplaying that is really something to keep in the past.

I prefer to make it myself, I always have trouble with dresses or costumes I would buy online because they are mainly from China and I'm quite tall for a girl so if I would pick one for my length it is usually way too big in terms of it being too wide.

Plus it makes it more fun and feeling happy to have acomplished something like that. Perfect fit, own favourite material etc =D

I don't think I will get the wings finished on time but I can always use that for some other time! =D

Would this would be your second or third cosplay NightDancer? ;) Have a blast at the event!

Looking forward to seeing photos, based on your previous work I'm sure it'll be impressive. :D

I prefer to make it myself, I always have trouble with dresses or costumes I would buy online because they are mainly from China and I'm quite tall for a girl so if I would pick one for my length it is usually way too big in terms of it being too wide.

Plus it makes it more fun and feeling happy to have acomplished something like that. Perfect fit, own favourite material etc =D

I don't think I will get the wings finished on time but I can always use that for some other time! =D

I just don't have the handy skills to be able to make a costume :( but don't they make their own costumes in China to the measurements you give them?

I just don't have the handy skills to be able to make a costume :( but don't they make their own costumes in China to the measurements you give them?

Probably but I'm a perfectionist when it comes to those things. I usually don't like the fabric they use =(

Hahaha I should totally link Kaen here... Hahahaha

In Singapore, we either

a) Select our own cloths and go to a tailor to tailor the costume,

b) Sew our own costumes,

c) Import from China (taobao)

Hahahaha Most of us do (a). Our wigs are mostly from China tho...

lol

• Like 1

I heard that a lot of teens in China make their own costumes...tailors in China are very expensive~~~and a lot of teens don't have that much money to buy costumes from stores.

I heard that a lot of teens in China make their own costumes...tailors in China are very expensive~~~and a lot of teens don't have that much money to buy costumes from stores.

These teens should open their own businesses on eBay and sell their costumes for lots of money :P

Hahaha I should totally link Kaen here... Hahahaha

In Singapore, we either

a) Select our own cloths and go to a tailor to tailor the costume,

b) Sew our own costumes,

c) Import from China (taobao)

Hahahaha Most of us do (a). Our wigs are mostly from China tho...

lol

I would go for B =)

What's taobao? =)

I think he meant "淘宝", online shopping..something like ebay or amazon.

Yeah, I noticed that there are lots of Taobao shops that sell cosplay costumes at a pretty reasonable price, but shipping from China isn't cheap at all.......

• 1 year later...

I have only been to one anime convention in my life and I was really young when I went. This year I am going to Anime Boston in the spring and I have questions. How are anime conventions? Do you have to cosplay? What should I look for? I know all anime conventions are different but I was hoping some one could give me some general information. :)

For those who have never been to an anime convention. Why have you never been?

i just recently got into anime and there really are not any anime conventions near where i live. i was planning to cosplay as either the joker if i went to comicon. as for anime i would love to cosplay higanbana from higanbana no saku yoru ni or rize-san from tokoyo ghoul

how about u

i just recently got into anime and there really are not any anime conventions near where i live. i was planning to cosplay as either the joker if i went to comicon. as for anime i would love to cosplay higanbana from higanbana no saku yoru ni or rize-san from tokoyo ghoul

how about u

If you haven't been to one it's totally worth the money to mission out to one, con go-ers are the nicest ppl around =)

• Like 1

How are anime conventions?

Really, I'm speaking from my own experience, so I don't know how it would be like for you. But I like to think my opinion on conventions are pretty logical.

They are pretty bad. I've honestly never really saw much point in them after attending a couple of conventions. It's just wasting your money, unless you want exclusive stuff from your favorite artist. But if you don't use tumblr and not an artist yourself, I seriously doubt you would know any of the artist there. The exclusive posters and pins aren't really worth it, for an otherwise pretty expensive fee of entry.

The figuring and such are usually way over priced and something you would easily get online. So on top of getting expensive figurings with an entry fee is really expensive fee.

Figurings are just novelty items anyways, It's honestly not worth dropping 50 dollars on some crappy figure.

It might be fun if you go with friends, but in all honestly, I find just chilling home watching a movie or playing game a lot more fun then convention. It's tiresome and expensive. If you have good friends who are interested in anime while being extremely fun to be around with, then conventions might be your thing.

If you're going alone and looking for friends, I seriously doubt you would find anyone. I've tried, a couple of times, and aside from my socially awkward statues, I still found it a lot harder then usual. A lot of people come in groups, and just intruding one is unlikely.

I don't want to advocate any stereotypes or make any assumptions, but let's face it. Most anime fans are introverted people. On top of being introverted, and being in a group isolating other peers, it's hard making "friends". It's easy to talk to people and breaking the ice, but really it doesn't get any further then that.

Do you have to cosplay?

You don't really have to, but it's pretty much ideal. There are tons of people who don't cosplay, but instead take pictures. If I were to ever attend a convention again, which I highly doubt, It would probably be for cosplaying reasons.

What should I look for?

Look for? I don't really get the question, but I assume you mean what to expect from conventions.

Come with extremely low expectations. Maybe then you might enjoy conventions.

Also, you should try attending some events, over just constantly staying at the shops. It's pretty boring just looking at the same things.

But be warned that majority of them are pretty cringe worth.

And bringing LOTS of money is important. Despite the item lack of practicality, you're going to want to buy lots of things.

A bare minimum of 300 dollars excluding the fee, and trust me, if you don't bring that much you're going to end up regretting a lot of stuff. But you might end up regretting it, like I did.

But hey, I don't want you to scare you from conventions, it has it's perks.

It has this strange nostalgic feel to it. and I got some enjoyment from it. It's nice seeing that there are other anime fans out there, even if they majority of them are pretty new and haven't reached the 100+ title point.

If you're into stuff like angel's egg and some of the more obscure anime. You won't meet much people who knows what your talking about. But if you're the type of person who likes majority of the popular anime, you'll feel at home.

Edited by Guest
  • Informative 1

Really, I'm speaking from my own experience, so I don't know how it would be like for you. But I like to think my opinion on conventions are pretty logical.

They are pretty bad. I've honestly never really saw much point in them after attending a couple of conventions. It's just wasting your money, unless you want exclusive stuff from your favorite artist. But if you don't use tumblr and not an artist yourself, I seriously doubt you would know any of the artist there. The exclusive posters and pins aren't really worth it, for an otherwise pretty expensive fee of entry.

The figuring and such are usually way over priced and something you would easily get online. So on top of getting expensive figurings with an entry fee is really expensive fee.

Figurings are just novelty items anyways, It's honestly not worth dropping 50 dollars on some crappy figure.

It might be fun if you go with friends, but in all honestly, I find just chilling home watching a movie or playing game a lot more fun then convention. It's tiresome and expensive. If you have good friends who are interested in anime while being extremely fun to be around with, then conventions might be your thing.

If you're going alone and looking for friends, I seriously doubt you would find anyone. I've tried, a couple of times, and aside from my socially awkward statues, I still found it a lot harder then usual. A lot of people come in groups, and just intruding one is unlikely.

I don't want to advocate any stereotypes or make any assumptions, but let's face it. Most anime fans are introverted people. On top of being introverted, and being in a group isolating other peers, it's hard making "friends". It's easy to talk to people and breaking the ice, but really it doesn't get any further then that.

You don't really have to, but it's pretty much ideal. There are tons of people who don't cosplay, but instead take pictures. If I were to ever attend a convention again, which I highly doubt, It would probably be for cosplaying reasons.

Look for? I don't really get the question, but I assume you mean what to expect from conventions.

Come with extremely low expectations. Maybe then you might enjoy conventions.

Also, you should try attending some events, over just constantly staying at the shops. It's pretty boring just looking at the same things.

But be warned that majority of them are pretty cringe worth.

And bringing LOTS of money is important. Despite the item lack of practicality, you're going to want to buy lots of things.

A bare minimum of 300 dollars excluding the fee, and trust me, if you don't bring that much you're going to end up regretting a lot of stuff. But you might end up regretting it, like I did.

But hey, I don't want you to scare you from conventions, it has it's perks.

It has this strange nostalgic feel to it. and I got some enjoyment from it. It's nice seeing that there are other anime fans out there, even if they majority of them are pretty new and haven't reached the 100+ title point.

If you're into stuff like angel's egg and some of the more obscure anime. You won't meet much people who knows what your talking about. But if you're the type of person who likes majority of the popular anime, you'll feel at home.

Just be be friendly and talk to ppl, I guarantee you'll make some friends, conventions are first and foremost about the social aspect of anime, video games and just geek culture in general. In my personal opinion going to a con cosplay or not is better than a birthday, Christmas or any other holiday combined! It's a chance to be around like minded individuals who share the same intrest/hobbys. Just go and see for yourself, you won't regret it! =D

Just be be friendly and talk to ppl,

Of course I was friendly. I mean, I'm certainly not the most sociable guy in the world, but I know that much.

It's just that from my experience these type of acquaintance never really go anywhere outside if being small friendly talk.

Do you seriously talk to the people that you meet at conventions to this day? Because I never had before.

I made small relationship with a good amount of people at cons, but I never talk to them this day.

Just go and see for yourself, you won't regret it! =D

Of course I went to a convention before, actual multiple times.

I didn't come to this conclusion just from going to a convention a once or twice. I've been at conventions 5 times before.

and yeah, I regret majority of the times i went to some sort of convention.

I have only been to one anime convention in my life and I was really young when I went. This year I am going to Anime Boston in the spring and I have questions. How are anime conventions? Do you have to cosplay? What should I look for? I know all anime conventions are different but I was hoping some one could give me some general information. :)

For those who have never been to an anime convention. Why have you never been?

I almost asked you in my welcome thread if you were going to AB! I'm going with my boyfriend and it's gonna be my first con too! I've picked up a few things from Tumblr but basically I heard there's baggage check at most conventions for that in between time between check in and checkout and also that you get info the con easier without a bag but you should bring a bag with money and snacks and water.

• Like 1

I almost asked you in my welcome thread if you were going to AB! I'm going with my boyfriend and it's gonna be my first con too! I've picked up a few things from Tumblr but basically I heard there's baggage check at most conventions for that in between time between check in and checkout and also that you get info the con easier without a bag but you should bring a bag with money and snacks and water.

Thats awesome! I was going to ask you in your intro thread as well. I hope you and your boyfriend have a good time. :)

Thanks for the info. I have heard everything there is going to be expensive. I can't wait to be at something anime related. I don't get a chance to be in the big city so much these days either. xD

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Is anyone going to Otakon this year?! if so would you want to meet up? Have like an Anime-Forum get together play fun games and get to know each other in person!! I go every year! I'm doing 3 different cosplays hopefully. I'm finished with one, almost done with another and having trouble on the last one! Eris From Cat planet Cuties, Erza Scarlet Fire Empress armor, and The Black Lotus from Accel World. (:

Is anyone going to Otakon this year?! if so would you want to meet up? Have like an Anime-Forum get together play fun games and get to know each other in person!! I go every year! I'm doing 3 different cosplays hopefully. I'm finished with one, almost done with another and having trouble on the last one! Eris From Cat planet Cuties, Erza Scarlet Fire Empress armor, and The Black Lotus from Accel World. (:

When im older, I would happily go!

For now, im trap'd in the UK, and can only go to comicon down in London ;)

• Geano locked this topic