Rocks and crystals?

Frost

So part of me is a bit obsessed with collecting rocks and things of that nature, since I was a young child. My parents would travel with my brother and I and whenever I went to a new place, I would find a rock or geode or some rough crystals and hoard them haha.

I still collect to this day. Whenever I get a new specimen, I get really excited. My current favorites include but are not limited to Amethyst (all varieties), aragonite, citrine, kyanite, peridot.

I recently acquired large white aragonite piece that I'm in love with. T_T

I was wandering if anyone else is interested in these types of things and if so, what's your favorites?

• Like 1

So part of me is a bit obsessed with collecting rocks and things of that nature, since I was a young child. My parents would travel with my brother and I and whenever I went to a new place, I would find a rock or geode or some rough crystals and hoard them haha.

My mother does this... always looks around for a rock to take home when out camping or hiking, or anything of the sort... she has a good eye for these things, leading us to have had some very impressively pretty specimens over the years including several geodes and thundereggs... we donated one that was particularly unusual to the Oregon science museum at one point when I was super young, though I sadly don't remember the specifics, just that they were super happy and gave us a several of the more common thingies from their gift shop's rock collection as thanks. :D

I'd like to do a bit of collecting myself at some point, but... other priorities at the moment. @_@

My mother does this... always looks around for a rock to take home when out camping or hiking, or anything of the sort... she has a good eye for these things, leading us to have had some very impressively pretty specimens over the years including several geodes and thundereggs... we donated one that was particularly unusual to the Oregon science museum at one point when I was super young, though I sadly don't remember the specifics, just that they were super happy and gave us a several of the more common thingies from their gift shop's rock collection as thanks. :D

I'd like to do a bit of collecting myself at some point, but... other priorities at the moment. @_@

Yes! I learned my hoarding abilities from my mother lol. She would always pick up a rock and go "look, kirstie. Look how pretty." And then we would put it in her backpack and take it home, where we would either place them in our garden or place them on display in our home. My favorite geode to date that I own is one I found while in Yellowstone. Probably illegal to take things like that, but my mother found it by our campsite and it's been a great piece of conversation since then. She passed it on to me, and so it sits on the chest in my bedroom by the bay window. I will have to post a picture sometime soon but.. I love nature. So anything composed in nature makes me happy. I also like to collect interesting pinecones, sticks or fossils. Just anything really. Plants even.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I love collecting rocks and minerels!

I have a big collection! let me take a few photo's and ill be right back!!!!!

I hope to one day have a ridiculous collection that takes up at least an entire room in my house lollolol.

I find them aesthetically pleasing to look at. My friends are like "why spend money on rocks?"

I'm not sure, I mean, I don't purchase all of them, of course my best specimens are from other countries. They are my precious treasures. xD

Probably illegal to take things like that

Very much so... not that I think that has really stopped anyone, to be honest. ^^;

I will have to post a picture sometime soon but.. I love nature.

Very much the same here - I absolutely adore hiking and camping, as well as things like canoeing and swimming. <3

Very much so... not that I think that has really stopped anyone, to be honest. ^^;

Very much the same here - I absolutely adore hiking and camping, as well as things like canoeing and swimming. <3

Haha. I mean, as a child I was ignorant to the fact that taking things from national parks was illegal, but. I'm sure my mother knew :P LOL In any case, I don't regret having it as I have sentimental value placed in it. It's one of the best pieces I own.

Camping is my favorite trip to take. My dream would be to own a tiny little house on some land out west/midwest. I absolutely love it.

We have a huge ass chunk of jade in our living room. It's very purdyyyy

Pics or it didn't happen bby.

• Like 1

Haha. I mean, as a child I was ignorant to the fact that taking things from national parks was illegal, but. I'm sure my mother knew :P LOL In any case, I don't regret having it as I have sentimental value placed in it. It's one of the best pieces I own.

Camping is my favorite trip to take. My dream would be to own a tiny little house on some land out west/midwest. I absolutely love it.

Pics or it didn't happen bby.

Apparently the jade has been relocated! I'll find it later (probably by stubbing my toe on it) and take a picture~

• Like 1

Apparently the jade has been relocated! I'll find it later (probably by stubbing my toe on it) and take a picture~

I WILL BE WAITING FOR THE PICTURE!

My mom was a big rock collector to but I never really got into that much but I would like to see pics of your collection and a few of your favs.

I will have to get some more pictures together to show you my collection, but I have a picture of my most recent addition, the white aragonite. You can actually see a bit of the geode I got from my childhood that I was discussing, and also a really nice stone that I got from a lake my family use to frequent.

2017-05-15_22_05_34.thumb.jpg.25789ac766edcf2bf1cfe1a13921d3aa.jpg

• Like 2

My friends are like "why spend money on rocks?"

well, technically, all money is rocks, considering money itself is just a placement holder for gold. therefore, money is gold, which is in a way, a "Rock"

another argument: why would you buy a diamond? its a rock after all ;)

(Btw, I know that crystals and minerals are formed differently dependent on the heat to generate them and blah blah blah, but i'm not feeling sciencey today, and my normally over-the-top knowledgeable brain is literal mush right now xD sorry)

• Funny 1

I mean, the best thing I have atm (Aka, the most expensive) is a semi-florescent metal that reacts with the light that is formed in magma caverns. As I said, I would send a picture, but I cant figure out how since apparently the file sizes are too big and I don't know how to fix it ;-;

• Like 1

• 5 months later...