Which anime left you with a feeling of crushing disappointment?

Cy~

Okay, so like, let's talk about disappointment. I mean crushing disappointment. That feeling of terror when you order a plain pepperoni pizza and receive one filled with anchovies. That sinking sensation when you walk outside to your car and have a flat tire. The total devastation that you... Nevermind, you get my point.

It's time to commiserate. Which anime have you watched all the way through, waiting for things to get better, only to regret it thoroughly? Have you ever watched an anime that was just totally awesome, until the last arc (or last episode) ruined everything? Let's all sit together and cry as one... :'( I'll start.

91 Days

It was sleek, it was stylish, it had so much promise! For the first few episodes, I found it to be utterly amazing. At some point, however, things just became... Banal and predictable. The ending was exactly what I had expected them to do if the writers became lazy, only they somehow managed to make it even worse than that. But, yeah, I watched the whole thing. Mindlessly. :sick:

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny

My second mecha anime! (Really, it should have been my last, but I'm a slow learner.) I tried Gundam SEED and it wasn't so bad, so I figured, "Hey, let's watch this next thing!" That was a terrible mistake. It was basically the same as the first thing with a less like-able protagonist, lower production values, sloppy writing, and a very unfortunate love story. Of course, I watched the ENTIRE thing. All 50 episodes. Good game, Cy~, good game. I just kept waiting for it to get better... :'(

• Like 4

For me it was Akame Ga Kill, I was so hyped for it because the manga was amazing and I remember a week before it came out I was even gonna watch it without subs because I was that excited. But it killed my excitement because it never followed any of the manga properly and the last episode made me want to kill myself

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

For me it was Akame Ga Kill, I was so hyped for it because the manga was amazing and I remember a week before it came out I was even gonna watch it without subs because I was that excited. But it killed my excitement because it never followed any of the manga properly and the last episode made me want to kill myself

Ok, I respect your opinion and I'm sure I probably dislike anime you like. But i must defend what I like, Apologies. Here goes!

How could you say that!?

Akame Ga Kill was amazing, emotionally and action based, as for never following the manga if you read the manga you'd know the first whole volume was translated pretty closely.

There. Fan rant over. Sorry. But i had to.

• Like 2

Garden of Words was disappointing for me.

I was expecting a great story that would leave me with some kind feeling of sadness that it was over or feel like there was a satisfying end, but it had absolutely no feeling and felt like a waste of time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Fairy tail because I kept watching it and through the progression natsu had stronger battles during the beginning of the series and towards the end I felt as if he hasn't shown any real power it kinda made me vary disappointed....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ok, I respect your opinion and I'm sure I probably dislike anime you like. But i must defend what I like, Apologies. Here goes!

How could you say that!?

Akame Ga Kill was amazing, emotionally and action based, as for never following the manga if you read the manga you'd know the first whole volume was translated pretty closely.

There. Fan rant over. Sorry. But i had to.

What you said is completely true and I agree with you it was really good for the action and the emotional stuff was great but it just wasn't what I expected though from it when I read the manga and I still watched it both dubbed and subbed but I just hated the ending is all

• Like 1

I want to say Death Note, but me and everyone else have said that before so many times in threads like this in other forums, so let's pick something else:

Pokemon XY. Ash losing the League. Again.

Of course, it wouldn't have been disappointing if they hadn't built up that hype! :veryangry: He was SO close! God! He was in the finals! Just a little bit more and the franchise would break new grounds for the first time! And that Mega Charizard battle was terribly unfair! It went against so many of Ash's Pokemon before, and it STILL managed to come out standing at the end. What the heck? Talk about being an overrated lizard. We all know the only reason Mega Charizard was there was to pander to the Genwunners and to promote the in-game Mega Charizard. It's a promotional scheme, that's all! Of course they couldn't let their precious marketing go to waste! Sighyaka...

In that one moment, Pokemon fans everywhere slammed their head on the desk. Such a crushing disappointment by the most disappointing Pokemon trainer, ever.

• Like 1

I never felt crushed in Death note the ending to me felt kinda right but you know thats just me...

Yeah, maybe "crushed" is too extreme. What I meant was, a lot of people were upset about the second-half of the show after L kicked the bucket.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yeah, maybe "crushed" is too extreme. What I meant was, a lot of people were upset about the second-half of the show after L kicked the bucket.

Yea I kinda thought that was a bit much.. I guess I agree then...

• 2 weeks later...

Shinsekai Yori (From Another World)

I have a weird love/hate relationship with this anime. I loved the world, the story, and the sense of mystery. I utterly hated what happened in the last arc. Everything gets put back together (good), the world is now almost fully explained (fantastical), and the heroes choose to use their knowledge of how fucked up the world is to... Do absolutely nothing (wait, what?!).

Yeah. No. Come on. They just found out that the world is FUBAR and they decide... To write a memoir and hope someone fixes it later on. Magnificent, utterly magnificent junk. What a disappointment. >_>

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1
  • Agree 2

Overlord?

I swear I'm just throwing one out here cuz I can't be bothered to actually think of one.

But hey, Overlord really did disappoint me.

There were so many skills, so many races, so many classes yet so little info. Like, holy, how many skills did Momonga even use during the fight in the last two episodes? And how many buffs did he use? and how many of those buffs do we actually know the effect?

I swear if they did a better job at explaining the mechanics of that world, it would be a bit more fun to watch. But meh, at least it served as a timekiller after watching Log Horizon.

Edited by Guest
  • Agree 3

Shinsekai Yori (From Another World)

I have a weird love/hate relationship with this anime. I loved the world, the story, and the sense of mystery. I utterly hated what happened in the last arc. Everything gets put back together (good), the world is now almost fully explained (fantastical), and the heroes choose to use their knowledge of how fucked up the world is to... Do absolutely nothing (wait, what?!).

Yeah. No. Come on. They just found out that the world is FUBAR and they decide... To write a memoir and hope someone fixes it later on. Magnificent, utterly magnificent junk. What a disappointment. >_>

Sometimes, there is absolutely nothing that you can do, even when you know what the problem is, but I do remember being a bit disappointed with this series, just not as much as Garden of Words.

• Like 2

I must disagree about 91 Days, as it is one of my favorite anime.

[spoiler=SPOILERS FOR 91 DAYS]I didn't felt it was predictable, and I thought it was sad whenever someone was killed. And it had a good moral about revenge being completely meaningless. Avilio learns the hard way that there were still things he had left. And all his actions just ended up screwing everyone over, and so is hatred.

As for Durarara!!, it's understandable if you feel like there's no meaning to anything that happens, Renee. Things don't start getting good until about halfway through. I felt that Mikado had no importance to the story, so why was he the main character? But it'll make sense later.

• Like 1

I must disagree about 91 Days, as it is one of my favorite anime.

If I hadn't already seen hundreds of books and movies that used the same exact plot, then I would have found it amazing. As it stands, it felt like a weak kneed homage to my all time favorite in gangster drama - The Road to Perdition. If you want to know where I'm coming from, look it up.

Edited by Guest

Garden of Words was disappointing for me.

I was expecting a great story that would leave me with some kind feeling of sadness that it was over or feel like there was a satisfying end, but it had absolutely no feeling and felt like a waste of time.

I loved the garden of words, there was plenty of emotion there for me, but then again I tend not to be a fan of melodrama. If it's the ending that disappointed you, I liked that too, nothing could have happened between them and life doesn't always work out. I like that they ended it that way, same as five centimeters per second, their love was brief, fragile, imperfect and difficult, but that didn't make it any less meaningful to me. In my view, the briefness and fragility of their relationships are what made them beautiful.

I loved the garden of words, there was plenty of emotion there for me, but then again I tend not to be a fan of melodrama. If it's the ending that disappointed you, I liked that too, nothing could have happened between them and life doesn't always work out. I like that they ended it that way, same as five centimeters per second, their love was brief, fragile, imperfect and difficult, but that didn't make it any less meaningful to me. In my view, the briefness and fragility of their relationships are what made them beautiful.

Pretty much the whole bulk of it. I do have a review of it on my blog, and I would have liked to link to it here, but then I would unnecessarily inflate numbers (Kind of away from the network I told logs to ignore).

The relationship had no feeling or build up, even though a lot of time was spent on it, and there were moment that needed to exude emotion, but did not, which did end up making things worse.

I was not expecting some happy ending, just a satisfying one, and all most nothing found in it would have given me a satisfying end.

Edited by Guest

Pretty much the whole bulk of it. I do have a review of it on my blog, and I would have liked to link to it here, but then I would unnecessarily inflate numbers (Kind of away from the network I told logs to ignore).

The relationship had no feeling or build up, even though a lot of time was spent on it, and there were moment that needed to exude emotion, but did not, which did end up making things worse.

I was not expecting some happy ending, just a satisfying one, and all most nothing found in it would have given me a satisfying end.

I guess I just disagree then

If I hadn't already seen hundreds of books and movies that used the same exact plot, then I would have found it amazing. As it stands, it felt like a weak kneed homage to my all time favorite in gangster drama - The Road to Perdition. If you want to know where I'm coming from, look it up.

Well, I wasn't expecting it to be original with it being a story about revenge, then again, I haven't seen a lot of gangster moves, so what do I know?

I think the closet thing for me would be The Rolling Girls.

[spoiler=SPOILERS FOR THE ROLLING GIRLS]From the preview in Otaku USA, I thought this sounded a bit like Samurai Champloo...but that was not the case.

The anime is very vague about how japan was separated into the different areas. There are these people with super powers fight over territory called Best, there's also other people that work with them called Rest, but they don't have super powers and get blown away in about 5 seconds.

But forget all that, because the series then changes to Nozomi, who takes a request to find moonstones...and so the first part was not good, but I heard that it wasn't supposed to be until the second arc. But the third episode, which is part of the second arc, was not good either.

I don't know what they were going with this show, it doesn't take itself very seriously. Needless to say, it failed to convince me of it's concept.

The music was good though.

About Durarara... I really disliked the anime version of it. After reading the differences in the LN, I wish they would've followed a more faithful tone to the novel. The light-hearted comedy routines of Durarara were kinda stupid.

About Durarara... I really disliked the anime version of it. After reading the differences in the LN, I wish they would've followed a more faithful tone to the novel. The light-hearted comedy routines of Durarara were kinda stupid.

There are a few series that I think would have been better if they followed the source material better.

FMA (2003), while not absolutely perfect, did not really give me that feeling, at least until Dante revealed her reasons for doing what she did.

• Like 1

Log Horizon. It started off amazing - it probably would've surpassed my love for .hack. But then season 2 came along and crushed any will I had to watch it. I don't have as much time as I'd like to spend on my hobbies these days so when I do start committing myself to something only for it to go south is very disheartening and part of the reason I don't explore too many new series or play too many new games.

• Agree 2

Chrono Crusade comes into mind. I don't know why the story took the turn it did, but I have a thing against anime that kill off main characters for some BS manufactured tension and that's what that anime did for me.

Beyond that, and I've talked about it too death but SAO has really become a disappointment. When I first started watching it, I thought for sure we were getting a modern day .hack with death on the table instead of coma's, but instead it decided it couldn't keep that deep thought up for everyone all the time, so the only characters of significance that die are those that are clearly going to die because that's their arc. I gotta say as well, that I am disappointed with how Yuuki's death was handled. I was hoping it would be a moment as emotional as when certain characters in .hack fell into coma's but then I couldn't help but think how insane it is to try and justify someone spending their last living moments with headgear on when that could have been avoided and family probably wouldn't have allowed it. At least in .hack, usually someone is attacked in game and has a few moments before they lose consciousness so there's not really anything that can be done about that. When Yuuki dies, the set-up doesn't make sense. I'm harsh with SAO but only because it started off like it was going to be amazing, and then fell so hard from what it should have, and could have been, only to try it again later and fail. I wasn't expecting it to be exactly like .hack or anything, but it had to the potential to be on that level, and it dropped that so quickly that even the parts that were close mean less because they led to so little. I am truly disappointed with that.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1