Which anime left you with a feeling of crushing disappointment?

Cy~

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes. I thought it would have more to do with Sherlock Holmes, but all it turned out to be was some really bad and childish comedy and moe. Ugh.

• Like 1

Ao no exorcist season 2 disappointed me to be honest. Even though it was interesting in terms of character dev. they completely left out good fights (they simply didnt focus on them much like s1 did.) and as they only released 12 episodes I was simply left disappointed after waiting for so many years for season 2.

Edited by Guest

and as they only released 12 episodes I was simply left disappointed after waiting for so many years for season 2.

I am kind of annoyed with that myself. This 12-13 episode trend is not helping anime look good in general.

Log Horizon. It started off amazing - it probably would've surpassed my love for .hack. But then season 2 came along and crushed any will I had to watch it.

Omg, I can't believe that I forgot to include Log Horizon in my original list! Hahaha, I had completely forgotten about this anime.

I started out with so many hopes, dreams, and aspirations. However, season 2 was actually trash. It completely tossed away all of the stuff from season 1 and introduced a brand new set of characters with a brand new arc, and I couldn't give a fuck about any of it. I was so disappointed that I stopped watching anime for a week or two, ahhaha.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Omg, I can't believe that I forgot to include Log Horizon in my original list! Hahaha, I had completely forgotten about this anime.

I started out with so many hopes, dreams, and aspirations. However, season 2 was actually trash. It completely tossed away all of the stuff from season 1 and introduced a brand new set of characters with a brand new arc, and I couldn't give a f**** about any of it. I was so disappointed that I stopped watching anime for a week or two, ahhaha.

I can't disagree with that. The second season pulled me away from the show entirely. I still think the show is better overall than SAO, but it still fell pretty hard when it finally did.

• Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...

*takes a deep breath*

Warning: This may be controversial.

Attack on Titan, only the second season though. I can't believe that they let things die out like that. I had read the manga, and I was happy to see things animated, but I really feel like they screwed up the pacing. As a result, the death of one of my favorite characters in the series felt like a joke that was soon forgotten about.

The final "power" that Eren received felt really lame. I feel like they should have changed the story from the manga, spent less time on worldbuilding, and burned more time on action.

• Like 1

Diabolik Lovers: More Blood.

It was so amazing in the beginning but then...the last episode's ending ruined everything. Like suddenly, the wolves attack and then...BOOM! The end. I was so confused. They even won't have a season 3! I was so hopelessly disapp-crushed! (short form of crushing disappointed) And I still am!:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

Naruto Shippuden

I dropped it after 312 episodes. The Pain Arc was nonsense. I thought Sakura had become an interesting ninja until she starts fangirling over Sasuke again. There were some great moments in that show, but they were squandered by terrible writing. That Great Ninja War felt slower than the lead-up to the Dragon Ball Super tournament. The whole Hinata & Naruto thing was so poorly developed that they needed a movie to make any sense of it. Every bad guy gets their redemption moment with a troubled past as an excuse for killing people. What a shame.

• 2 weeks later...

The ending to samurai champloo. It was just 'dumb'. Considering how fantastic the series was up until that point.

[spoiler=ending]Then it all built upon a lie, to find out much later. Talk about a childish and idiotic ending....

It would have been a perfect series if not for that.

• Agree 1

Honestly, in terms of having really high expectations only to be utterly disappointed, Cowboy Bebop might be my #1. I get it, the show is cool, it has jazz, it's in space. So what? I really disliked the way the anime is structured. First it's episodic, then suddenly they introduce the main villain, then it gets back to being episodic and finally they squeeze a half-assed story into the last few episodes. Also, almost every episode seems to follow the same formula, and there's hardly any connection between them. The show makes it really hard to care.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Had to think about it, but I would have to say Chobits for its predictable ending....but to be fair, it ended up the same in the manga, so I would have to say the same for its manga counterpart. I was hoping that the anime would go off on a tangent and choose a different ending.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 5 weeks later...

I'm picking anime which had very good initial episodes, and basically went downhill after that.

Akame ga Kill: Interesting premise. I thought this was gonna be some huge plot in which they carefully over-throw the Government in a grand manner. I honestly thought this could be the next FMA. But, after the 5th or 6th episodes, it became a joke, because

a character gets killed in every episode.

There wasn't any emotional stake, the plot felt extremely rushed. The only redeeming qualities are the action and the animation.

Ao no Exorcist: Same problem as the above. Amazing inital episodes. Showed a lot of promise. To have a comparison, My Hero Academia is what this anime should have been. But, no, after the 12th episode, they rushed it as hell, there was a boss battle suddenly, and on top of that, in the middle, you had unnecessary picnic and beach episodes.

Log Horizon Season 2: I had a lot of expectations going into this series, because I loved the first season. I hadn't watched SAO yet(still haven't), so, it was the first of its kind, for me. Great characters, action, dialogue, world, it had everything. Then came the second season, it started off pretty strong. What went wrong? Instead of focusing on the existing characters, adding a few new characters, and building the world slowly and steadily, in every episode, it introduced new powers left and right, and half of the episode consisted of expository dialogue. On top of that, the anime introduced many characters, and took the time to explain who they were, only to not use them ever again. The crime is not this, it's that whenever it did that, it was for like 10-15 characters, so, you couldn't remember any of them. At around episode 14, it became unwatchable for me, because, unfortunately, it became... boring. I put it on-hold around episode 20.

Honourable mentions: Mayoiga(one of the worst anime I've ever seen. Including it because it had an interesting premise, but, it became pretty bad right from the 2nd episode), Tokyo Ghoul and Tokyo Ghoul Season 2, Joker Game.

Elfen lied. It was crap.

Dragon ball GT. It was mostly crap.

Naruto shippuden became a disappointment when the war arc started.

Tokyo ghoul. Just a lot of forced violence to appeal to the edgy teenagers, no real plot.I loved the last episode though.

Kamisama na inai nichiyobi. Such an amazing world, characters, animation, premise and first 3 episodes. They did fuck all with it and the story turned into some people wandering around looking around and finding some adventure and nothing gets resolved in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Bleach:

Complete trash that tried to copy the great YuYu Hakusho, which failed hard and that the only good arc that isn't bad or that good is the Soul Society Arc.

Speaking for the anime only.

The manga version is even worse. Ew Thousand Blood War Arc.

Naruto Shippuden:

It pretty much ruined the meaning of Naruto Part 1.

Naruto Part 1 >>>>>>

Fairy Tail:

Get those bs friendship power ups outta here.

Dragon Ball Super:

Complete trash that should have never existed.

GT >>>>

Boku no Hero Academia:

What is this? Not that good, not that bad, just meh.

• 1 month later...

I hated SAO! I mean, I really, really hated it for a simple reason: Kirito. I loved the idea about "you die in the game you die in real life", and actually had an idea for a story based off of it, but that's about it. Kirito is a total Mary Sue. A literal Mary Sue and this utterly ruins everything else about Sword Art Online. All of these female characters have no development whatsoever, appear in one episode, then we don't see them until the final season. I actually liked Asuna, but I feel like once she got into a relationship with Kirito, her character degraded to a damsel in distress in season two.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There have been a few anime's that have left me feeling this way....  The first one that came to mind was Tenchi Muyo GXP.  I was a huge Tenchi fan back in the day, and although some of the movies were *cough* questionable, I had always hoped that Tenchi would end up in the Galaxy Police someday....  For those of you who have seen that anime, you know how messed up, twisted and all sorts of weird that one was (not to mention the look-alike friend).  I got through maybe 5 episodes then quit. I regretted having asked my (at the time) fiancé to buy it for my birthday.  I enjoyed Geminar however so my disappointment with GXP did not deter me from continuing on with the series with later storylines.

The other one that comes to mind is Otogi Zoshi.  I really enjoyed most of the first season (The Heian Arc) and I was really looking forward to watching the second season (Tokyo Arc - modern day).  Maybe I misinterpreted the first season, but I also quit the second season after about 5 episodes.  It's been so long since I watched it (probably over 10 years now), my memory is fuzzy on the reasons, but the crushing disappointment was real. I do remember being so happy however that I had only paid $19 for the whole boxset (with both arcs) that was usually $120 because I had waited to buy it online on Black Friday that year.  If I had paid full price for it, I'm sure I would have been both disappointed and enraged haha....

I also was moderately disappointed in Pretear as they changed the storyline to make the "cool guy" the main attraction (though, I shouldn't be surprised. Most all reverse harems will do this or focus on the "cool guy").  I would have said La Storia de la Arcana Famiglia, but in all honesty, I had just watched the first season of Log Horizon before that so my expectations for anime was set way too high for a reverse harem.  It took a couple of weeks for me to realize that. Now I try to separate amazing anime and "never watched before" anime by at least a week so my expectations have time to come back down out of the clouds.

Shuffle

I heard it is funny, has good deep characters and drama, because it was classified as...drama...But it wasnt really anything of it. The last 3rd was ok and had some drama and emotions. I liked some of the grils and they were cute but thats not enough and even without a real plot it has plot holes. But now Im into some characters and I have to watch that other season...damn it..

I watched diabolik lovers for fun and thought I might end up liking it. I actually hated it, and to me, it was a disappointment. Harassing the main character was kind of the breaking point for me.

As for manga/manhwa (because I felt like putting it in here even though it just says anime), I got through the first season of killing stalking and had to quit. The overall abuse in anime/manga/manhwa usually makes me hate it. I'm okay with a lot of things, but I can't picture myself getting into an abuse anime or manga. It's just not my forte.

Pokémon, particularly XY(Z), ended so horribly it cemented the anime staff's intention to never end the anime and keep Ash a perpetual and eternal failure at his quest to become a Pokémon Master. There is absolutely no reason why anyone should ever invest in it now.

Edited by _Dog