Mechanical/Gaming Keyboards

Cy~

Does anyone here use a mechanical keyboard or one of the gaming keyboard with mechanical switches? If so, then what do you use and how are you liking it so far?

I'm actually a minor keyboard enthusiast, and I used to collect and refurbish these monsters -

model-m-front-large1.thumb.jpg.fed2775ed925bac790dc77abcb337e78.jpg

Unfortunately, my mom could never understand my weird hobbies, so she threw out like a dozen IBM Model M keyboards that were in mint condition (my soul still hurts :'(). I had only one remaining, so that was my main for a while. Then, right after graduation, I had a repetitive stress injury to my wrists result in agonizing pain for about two years. During that time, any normal keyboard was basically murderous to try and write with.

Eventually, however, I found a keyboard that I could use even with horrific hand pains -

advantage-black.jpg.8e2fadba8c72a900b8bc30846b3797d3.jpg

Yay! I have been using these for a while and have gathered a few of them, at this point. I also have a "modernized" Model M keyboard, and I sometimes try out new gaming stuff as well. (As long as they have my favorite mechanical switches - Cherry MX Red.)

That's enough from me, is anyone else a "keyboard enthusiast"?

(Okay, I really hope that I am not the only one here who uses one of these... :?)

• Like 2

Mechanical keyboards are life. Mechanical keyboards are love.

I've got a Steelseries keyboard with black switches that's going on eight years old. Works perfectly, but a number of the keycap bases have started to break apart from wear and tear. ^^;

I think I'd like to get a Chroma keyboard at some point, because... well... pretty colors.

I confess to being a bit shallow about certain things. :?

As an aside, @Cy~ 's keyboard is as impressive as it is terrifying to behold.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I do not really use any special keyboards, sadly.

There are a lot of things that give me troubles in life, and I am just content with the keyboard I have now.

Sometimes, I wish I did not have the limits I have, though I have lived with those limits for a long time.

• Like 2

Ok I first looked at this and wondered what is this contraption I never seen on before but now I see it can be vary nice to have but a pain to get used to...

Anyway have 2 gamin- 3- 4 gaming keyboards and when I read your mom threw them out my heart sank... I feel bruh.... advantage-black.jpg.7544967c6910df2c41e5d3ae13ae4522.jpg

• Agree 1

I do in fact love and use a mechanical keyboard! I really really dislike the way the industry is going on keyboards, making the keys as small and shallow as possible. I know why they're doing it, but I think most laptops and phones are WAY too thin and flimsy as it is. I prefer a tough brick that has big clunky keys that make a lot of noise.

My mechanical keyboard isn't fancy though, in fact I got it for £0.20 from a charity shop 2 years ago. I remember it came with a cute little floppy disk and a note saying "Tested with Windows 95!"

And of course, it's really not USB. It's PS/2, so I use an adapter with my laptop.

20p will get you this, and I've never found a spacebar that sounds and feels quite so satisfying to push <3:D

[spoiler=PICTURES INSIDE]image.thumb.jpeg.0c82aedf56ec2e73c9a5594184b01f4d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.33316496e732663d26671895af38ded2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9ec5cce870eb717beb800a2d17f227a0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5cf44f5c1ffce5cf32d55ae748fa7834.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I made a post here a little over a week ago but I have some extra stuff to say on this so I'll just put that here.

I'm actually a bit of keyboard sound fanatic, and if I like the sound of a keyboard, I'm sold on it instantly.

I recorded the sounds of my four keyboards, including mechanical ones, and hopefully you'll agree with me that some have a superior sound to them. My recording setup wasn't perfect, but you should be able to tell the difference.

I prefer to hear a clickity clack sound, a powerful return key and a satisfying spacebar.

Which do you think sounds the best?

Here are pictures of them all, followed by their sounds.

If you're curious, I always type "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. [return/enter key] He really does."

Sorry about the quality, my room was quite dark despite my lighting and I got some pretty poor images Dx

RDHDTlp.thumb.jpg.2236387987556408621d4516031de054.jpg

[MEDIA=soundcloud]

[/MEDIA]

---

NepBd2L.thumb.jpg.cbeba25ca6ef95b7393fdcde2b478d22.jpg

[MEDIA=soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/nectar-104477899/fujitsu[/MEDIA]

---

Mw6bLH0.thumb.jpg.bd9bc40e573781a271d87be66d55e39c.jpg[MEDIA=soundcloud]

[/MEDIA]

---

kLiq4UP.thumb.jpg.67be9879083e71c49ab1a018d9b006f8.jpg

[MEDIA=soundcloud]

[/MEDIA]

• Like 2

Been considering getting a mechanical keyboard for sometime. I would love some with some fancy lights. Mine currently is a no-go! Spilt soda all over it! Now the space bar sticks @_@

Spilled soda? No problem!

• Take it (the keyboard) apart.
  • Fill a bucket with rubbing alcohol and water.
  • Swish the main part of the keyboard around in it.
  • Leave it out to dry for a week after putting it back together.

BAM! Fixed!

Source: ME! I've spilled soda, lemonade, booze, and other random stuff into my keyboard. Don't worry about it, just follow my steps and fix it.

Which do you think sounds the best?

1. Delux

2. Apple

3. The other two.

There's something to be said for a keyboard with a good healthy sound. Atm, though, my keyboard is completely silent, ahhaha. xD

• Like 1

• 3 months later...