Ask Orius... Stuff

Orius

Erm, care to refresh my memory again what's the second end? xD

If I recall correctly, In one end, Fumo just wakes and become a student, and in the other, she not only wakes up normally, but wants you to date her. They are both in the regular routes.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I recall correctly, In one end, Fumo just wakes and become a student, and in the other, she not only wakes up normally, but wants you to date her. They are both in the regular routes.

Okay, then I seriously couldn't remember that. lol Sorry...

What got you interested in detective fiction?

Do you even need to ask? :D Why, Detective Conan of course. I remember quite clearly how it happened. I was reading manga as a kid. At my local grocery shop, I was searching for both Dragon Ball and Dino Crisis comics. But they sold out, and sitting there instead was this peculiar manga that caught my eye. After reading the first volume of Detective Conan, I was hooked. Never looked back since and never had regrets.

Over time, due to the influence of the manga (how Shinichi practically worships Holmes), I got interested in Holmes and Doyle myself too. I admit that part of the reason for that was because I wanted to be like Shinichi. lol It was a childish notion, but I'm glad the manga introduced me to Holmes. Such a badass character, a far more formidable detective than that edgy superhero dressed like a bat. :P If Holmes and Batman went head to head, my money will most certainly be on the OG detective himself.

• Like 1

What do you think about mainstream Sherlock vs Doyle's Sherlock? Do the differences between what people think they know about Sherlock and the original bother you?

Ooooh no. I kinda wish to avoid seeing this question if I could have. :D The truth is... I'm one of those who's only seen mainstream Sherlock. I haven't really read much of Doyle's works aside from A Study in Scarlet (and I only read the half of that before I got bored of "The Country of the Saints"). I'm afraid I simply don't read a lot of literature, being more interested in more visual-focused mediums like films and video games. So most of my knowledge of Holmes comes from either Wikipedia or the mainstream media.

Unfortunately, I'm unaware of any significant difference between mainstream Sherlock and Doyle's Sherlock from "Study in Scarlet". I know that Robert Downey Jr. did a piss-poor portrayal of the character. Cumberbatch did a better job of bringing the character to life in that BBC TV series, from what little I've read of Doyle's descriptions, i.e.: his constant reliance on drugs, his love affair with The Woman, playing violin while deep in thought, etc.

One significant difference is possibly his emotionless nature. It's one trait that I don't really know how accurate it is in Cumberbatch's portrayal. In the aforementioned TV series, Sherlock is a ruthless and calculating machine who loathes sentiments and speaks without concern for other people's feelings. I don't really know (enough) how much emotion Doyle depicted in his books, but I'd imagine it isn't as sociopathic as Cumberbatch's version.

• Like 1

What would you do if you found yourself living a life that is stereotypical for detective fiction (e.g. bodies showing up wherever you go)?

I would probably be more excited than living my currently very dull, and very mundane life. It's not like I have people close enough in my life that I would cry over someone being dead every two seconds, including my own parents.

Also, I get to be an intelligent detective who makes brilliant deductions with such style and charisma. What's there not to like? :D I think it's a better life worth living than whatever I have now, to be honest.

• Funny 1

I would probably be more excited than living my currently very dull, and very mundane life. It's not like I have people close enough in my life that I would cry over someone being dead every two seconds, including my own parents.

Also, I get to be an intelligent detective who makes brilliant deductions with such style and charisma. What's there not to like? :D I think it's a better life worth living than whatever I have now, to be honest.

Whose style would best fit you out of all the famous detectives, such as Sherlock, Poirot, Sam Spade, Miss Marple, Colombo, Father Brown, etc.?

• Like 1

Whose style would best fit you out of all the famous detectives, such as Sherlock, Poirot, Sam Spade, Miss Marple, Colombo, Father Brown, etc.?

Hah, I'm afraid I only know of Sherlock's style. Not really sure about the methodology and mannerism of the others. And Poirot's a bit on the chubby side of things for me. :P Yep, I'm superficial like that. xD

I would say however the style that fits me best would still be Kudo Shinichi before his shrinking days. Cocky, arrogant, and kinda sarcastic too. Such an egoistical personality sounds exactly like me, I'm willing to admit. In spite of (or maybe even because of) my anxieties and insecurities, my ego is my biggest and most noticeable flaw.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Out of the people listed below, who would you want to pit yourself against?

Arsene Lupin

Jack the Ripper

Professor Moriarty

Mr. Brown

Kaito Kuroba

Lupin III

Colonel Moran

Justice Wargrave

Hannibal Lecter

• Like 1

Out of the people listed below, who would you want to pit yourself against?

Arsene Lupin

Jack the Ripper

Professor Moriarty

Mr. Brown

Kaito Kuroba

Lupin III

Colonel Moran

Justice Wargrave

Hannibal Lecter

Easily Lupin III, probably the most harmless of the lot. I can't imagine facing Ripping ol' Jack (who practically dissects women) or Hannibal the cannibal and expect to escape with my life.

That is, of course, if I don't have those aforementioned detective intellect. If I happen to have the skills to match the wits of all these antagonists, then perhaps a proper challenge I would desire to face would be Moriarty. He's just such an iconic Holmes villain that it would feel so cool just to face against him like Holmes did at the famous Reichenbach Falls. Catching Ripper when nobody else has is nice, and it might be interesting to exchange psychology and philosophical musings with Lecter, but a confrontation against Moriarty just feels like the must-have experience any self-respecting Holmes fan should try at least once in his life. :D

• Like 1

What if they all came at you at once?

Again, really depends on whether if I'm a detective or not. If I'm not, I'm dead anyway, even if I make a run for it. If I am, however, the workings of detective fiction means that I simply can't be killed, and I'll escape somehow, whether barely with my life or triumphantly. Either way, I'll still be the one to take them all down like a freaking badass in the end with my brilliant deduction! :D There is only one truth, and that truth is the detective always wins! xDDD

• Funny 1

Again, really depends on whether if I'm a detective or not. If I'm not, I'm dead anyway, even if I make a run for it. If I am, however, the workings of detective fiction means that I simply can't be killed, and I'll escape somehow, whether barely with my life or triumphantly. Either way, I'll still be the one to take them all down like a freaking badass in the end with my brilliant deduction! :D There is only one truth, and that truth is the detective always wins! xDDD

That's true. However, Sherlock was meant die against Moriarty, so I think I would say you would barely survive, especially since most of your opponents are geniuses.

• Agree 1

That's true. However, Sherlock was meant die against Moriarty, so I think I would say you would barely survive, especially since most of your opponents are geniuses.

True, but the fact that Sherlock survived at all meant that even the most famous detective fiction played safe by keeping its protagonist alive till the bitter end. And with how formulaic and lazy modern fiction can be, keeping the protagonist alive is easier than ever. :P

• Agree 1

What would you do if you eat somebody that was as intelligent as Einstein, Sherlock, Hannibal, and Arsene Lupin put together?

Uh, eat or "beat"? I'm afraid I'm a fussy eater; human flesh doesn't go well with me. xD

I think I'd be even more insecure than I already am if I meet someone as intelligent as that. Even for highly intelligent people, meeting others who surpass their intellect would also fill them with envy and anxiety. Who am I compared to Salieri, who felt small standing next to Mozart?

I think what I would ultimately do is the same thing I did with people I couldn't connect with - avoid him completely. Rather than risk making a fool of myself, or risk having my feelings hurt by his possible elitism, I would rather just keep to myself - after I've confirmed that he's as unapproachable as I've suspected, of course.

• Agree 1

How quickly would you give up if you went back in time to prevent something, but it kept happening anyway?

Like a certain mad scientist so cool? ;)

I would give up pretty easily. Two reasons:

1. The more obvious reason is that I have way less patience than the average person, let alone a fictional character whose sole purpose is to endure suffering.

2. I don't have any loved ones who would be killed like Okabe, so if I'm to prevent something, I'd probably prevent something stupid or of less importance. If I have the power of time travel, the most I would do is tell myself to work harder at school and make something of myself, something that, if unsuccessful, is disappointing, but not important enough to go through a hundred or thousand worldlines.

How do you write long as hell replies?

I wish I know. I wish I have more brevity, to tell you the truth. Verbosity is the bane of charismatic responses.

I guess all I do is type whatever's on my mind onto my computer. Even when I don't have a lot of say about a subject, I try to write as much as I can to contribute to the discussion. This is especially true with my movie reviews. I hate writing short reviews because it makes me look lazy. I want to inform my readers as much about the movie as I can while keeping the review interesting, and maybe even playful. I don't really think it's my duty, but I do feel a certain obligation to be informative, and more importantly, sincere.

Another reason is that I have trouble expressing myself properly, so I keep rephrasing or repeating myself in hopes of getting my point across. I would worry a lot whether if I've made clear what I want to say, even as I'm typing this right now.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

Woo, good question! But I'm afraid you asked the wrong movie fan, and you might be disappointed at my answer.

See, I've known of the Coen Brothers' reputation for a long time, but to be honest, I just wasn't really interested in the more "artsy" side of movies, even if I do occasionally watch one or two. For the Coens, I did watch one work of theirs - and it wasn't even one of their more serious works, since they claimed to have written it as a diversion for their writer's block while working on Miller's Crossing. Yep, I'm talking about Barton Fink. I was really interested in this one because it talked about the angst of a writer (a writer working for Hollywood if you want to get specific). It reflected a lot of my phobias and anxieties while writing my stories.

The thing about Coens' work, while I have only seen one of them, I do like their heavy use of symbolism in their story. You could never really tell what their story is truly about. I believe that if you show a Coen movie to a room full of people, you'll get at least two different interpretation of what it means.

For Barton Fink, I alone had two different interpretations walking out of that movie: 1. The more straightforward interpretation, a struggling writer being swayed by the greed of Hollywood, and 2. It's about Nazis and fascism, specifically how the left-wing Barton had sold himself out for, supposedly, "the common man". But I have to admit that I got that second interpretation only after reading Roger Ebert's review. :P I was never really good at interpreting these kind of movies.

Based on that movie alone, I could say I am interested in seeing more of their works in the future, particularly the popular No Country for Old Men. What I ultimately think of such '2deep4me' movies is that they can be amusing to interpret, to think about what it all means and how it fits into our mundane lives, but I'm afraid they just won't really land into my top favorite spots because I would be too confused to have an emotional impact. It doesn't help that Barton Fink had a rather cynical ending, one which I won't spoil here. There are certain allegorical films that have heavy symbolism but managed to be straightforward and entertaining enough to resonate with me, however, like Alex Garland's Ex Machina, a movie I really loved in spite of not understanding it all.

So there it is, my opinion of the Coen Brothers. Apologies if it's an underwhelming answer. lol Go ask Cy~ instead about the Coens. I've got a feeling she might have the intellectual prowess to provide a more interesting response. ;)

Not disappointed with your answer at all, I’m pretty much in the same boat as you anyway. Their films are usually pretty densely made. For someone like me who has their brain shut off most of the time when watching movies, they can be a hard watch. There’s a bit of fun in it though because they actually made me want to be more attentive to details. Seeing or listening to a review analyzing films and/or rewatching these films can definitely help you pick up things you never saw before to make it a more pleasurable experience.

I profess that while I do enjoy the work of renowned filmmakers, I’m not that big a movie buff to want to go through their entire filmography willingly. It’s time I’m not sure I can dedicate to. The first Coen Brothers film I saw was Fargo, which I was inspired to watch after seeing the series. The series has a bunch of nods to the Coens other work which also inspired me to check them out. From what I've seen, I'd definitely recommend Fargo and The Big Lebowski.

• Like 1