I need recommendations on Horror anime

Seir

I am currently bored and I want to see horror Animes. Sure, I can google the genre but I much prefer to hear your recommendations.

• Like 2

These are three of my favorite from the genre:

Another (Series)

Personally, I would consider this the least scary out of the three, but it still holds up pretty well. It has quite a large cast of characters, so seeing interact and play off one another was quite interesting.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (Series)

There are two 24-ish episode long seasons - so there's plenty to watch there. This is one of my favorite horror anime's because of the lingering dread and mystery the show emphasizes on throughout. You also get to see the cast of characters thoroughly explored through seeing how they react to different situations. It will get bloody at times. And when it does, man is it awesome. I highly recommend this one if you're a hardcore fan of horror (or just good anime in general).

Perfect Blue (Movie)

This is ranked among my all-time favorite movies, period. It is a masterful psychological thriller that has a lot of elements that's very reminiscent of horror. Reality literally warps before your eyes, as you are thrown into uncertainty and try to figure out what is going on while the imminent dread builds up. Perfect Blue takes you on one hell of a ride, an if you can spare 1 hour and 30 minutes; I absolutely recommend it.

• Like 3

Horror is a fairly underrepresented genre in anime, I find. At least in terms of good horror.

First thing I'd suggest is Yamishibai - it's a short (if I rembmer correctly, episodes are about five minutes) series of bite-sized individual horror stories, animated in a style modeled after kamishibai street theater. The stories are based off of Japanese folklore and urban legends, and in my opinion are quite delicious. There are about four seasons of it, so despite the small episode length, there's plenty of material.

Another (Series)

Personally, I would consider this the least scary out of the three, but it still holds up pretty well. It has quite a large cast of characters, so seeing interact and play off one another was quite interesting.

Nutty beat me to this one. For what it lacks in outright jumpscares, I think it more than makes up for in other ways. It's an excellent and well executed story that I highly recommend.

• Like 4

Which horror anime have you seen?

- The horror titles that first come to mind are Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Umineko no Naku Koro ni, Elfen Lied, Hell Girl, and Blood+.

- I would also personally recommend Shiki and Ghost Hound, but note that Ghost Hound has a slow pacing, so it's not for everyone.

- There's Shadow Star Narutaru with some rather shocking scenes involving children (kinda like a violent version of Pokemon with aliens), though I would recommend reading the manga for that.

- There's the aforementioned Another, which was very popular due to its gore-factor, but I personally didn't like it and felt it had a shallow story.

- There's Hellsing Ultimate if you like your horror with more action than scares.

- Finally, if you prefer psychological horror over cheap shock factor and gore, there's Monster, a horror anime that plays with your mind rather than your impulse for jump-scares.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

I haven't seen many horror anime, or a lot of anime in general. I am fairly new to all of this and I watch a lot of comedy, slice of life anime. But horror Anime I have seen Another, Ajin, Tokyo Ghoul, Re:Zero (It's apparently classified as a horror anime, or at least has horror anime tendencies) Elfen Lied.

EDIT: I do not like jump scares. They feel cheap. Which is why I don't like games like Outlast 2. I think I prefer more psychological horror.

Added all of them to my watch list.

Edited by Guest
  • Informative 1

EDIT: I do not like jump scares. They feel cheap. Which is why I don't like games like Outlast 2. I think I prefer more psychological horror.

Then Monster is perfect for you, as it's a psychological horror that deals with themes of morality, asking who the real monster is in the show, but I don't want to spoil anything more. It has a fantastic villain and morally complex characters. A good watch if you like a good story in a horror show.

Shiki is another psychological horror that deals with existential issues. It flips the expectations of the audience and makes the "bad guys", the vampires in this case, very sympathetic, such that you would probably root more for them than the main characters. Again, I don't want to spoil anything else, so I'll leave it at that. It's my favorite horror anime of all time.

• Agree 1

Then Monster is perfect for you, as it's a psychological horror that deals with themes of morality, asking who the real monster is in the show, but I don't want to spoil anything more. It has a fantastic villain and morally complex characters. A good watch if you like a good story in a horror show.

Shiki is another psychological horror that deals with existential issues. It flips the expectations of the audience and makes the "bad guys", the vampires in this case, very sympathetic, such that you would probably root more for them than the main characters. Again, I don't want to spoil anything else, so I'll leave it at that. It's my favorite horror anime of all time.

Yeah those two sound perfect. I love shows that push the boundaries and or discusses morality. I feel it opens your mind and questions your beliefs. I will watch both of them. Thank you. It will take me a while because I barely have time as it is, but when I do I will make sure to let you know.

Edited by Guest
  • Winner 1

Yeah those two sound perfect. I love shows that push the boundaries and or discusses morality. I feel it opens your mind and questions your beliefs. I will watch both of them. Thank you. It will take me a while because I barely have time as it is, but when I do I will make sure to let you know.

One last thing: don't forget to watch the Shiki Specials:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/10083/Shiki_Specials

They are two special episodes that are far superior than the main series IMO. I cried buckets watching this because of the depressing fate of a particular character in it (again, one of the vampires we were supposed to hate). Definitely not to be missed if you feel you like the main series after watching it. Chronological-wise, these two specials should be watched after episode 21 and episode 22 respectively.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

One last thing: don't forget to watch the Shiki Specials:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/10083/Shiki_Specials

They are two special episodes that are far superior than the main series IMO. I cried buckets watching this because of the depressing fate of a particular character in it (again, one of the vampires we were supposed to hate). Definitely not to be missed if you feel you like the main series after watching it. Chronological-wise, these two specials should be watched after episode 21 and episode 22 respectively.

Alright, I will keep it in mind. Thank you.

• Like 1

For a gory horror series, I would recommend Hellsing Ultimate.

Seconding on Hellsing Ultimate, though I'm not sure if it's the kind of horror anime you'd like, Seir. It's not technically a thinking man show, though it's not a dumb story either. It also tends to go over-the-top with its action and gore, something which I enjoyed, especially because of how ridiculously powerful (and badass) Alucard was. If that sounds like your kind of show, then I'd say go for it.

• Like 1

Seconding on Hellsing Ultimate, though I'm not sure if it's the kind of horror anime you'd like, Seir. It's not technically a thinking man show, though it's not a dumb story either. It also tends to go over-the-top with its action and gore, something which I enjoyed, especially because of how ridiculously powerful (and badass) Alucard was. If that sounds like your kind of show, then I'd say go for it.

Thanks for agreeing with my post. The amount of gore with dark scenery is the reason why I place this series in the horror genre.

• Like 1

Hellsing Ultimate, I have seen it so many times but I have never watched it. I will give it a try, though I am not a fan of action anime.

• Like 1

Hellsing Ultimate, I have seen it so many times but I have never watched it. I will give it a try, though I am not a fan of action anime.

I think the gore, darkness and the use of ghouls might outweigh the action elements.

I think the gore, darkness and the use of ghouls might outweigh the action elements.

Alright, I will watch it.

• Friendly 1

I am watching Shiki currently. I am 4 episodes in and I am loving it so far.

Oh thank god. lol I know people who dropped it early on due to the outlandish character designs. Glad that you're liking it! Hope to hear your thoughts!

Oh thank god. lol I know people who dropped it early on due to the outlandish character designs. Glad that you're liking it! Hope to hear your thoughts!

You mean their hair? xD I don't mind it at all. Sure they are very different, but we can't have all Animes looking the same. As for the story it is super interesting. I already know what's causing the sickness, but the way they explain it is very awesome. Very professional in the field of Medicine.

• Like 1

Blood-C was quite shocking. It uses a lot of gore for scaring though and I know lots of people were angry/disgusted at the casual way they killed characters. The plot is quite slow as well, they could have wrapped it up far less episodes. But I enjoyed it myself because I'm weird and I like that stuff.

• Like 1

Blood-C was quite shocking. It uses a lot of gore for scaring though and I know lots of people were angry/disgusted at the casual way they killed characters. The plot is quite slow as well, they could have wrapped it up far less episodes. But I enjoyed it myself because I'm weird and I like that stuff.

I have seen a few videos of that Anime, it doesn't seem like something I would really watch, but I will give it a chance.

BTW: I finished Shiki. I give it a 9.5/10 I loved it a lot. I also watched the specials, and it is very sad.

• Like 1

BTW: I finished Shiki. I give it a 9.5/10 I loved it a lot. I also watched the specials, and it is very sad.

I literally cried like a little girl watching the specials, specifically the one where

Nao was trying to get away from her attackers and ended up burned on a stake.

Nao's backstory was depressing and very relatable. It exemplifies just how sympathetic the vampires can be.

• Like 1

I literally cried like a little girl watching the specials, specifically the one where

Nao was trying to get away from her attackers and ended up burned on a stake.

Nao's backstory was depressing and very relatable. It exemplifies just how sympathetic the vampires can be.

Yeah, that story was hard to watch. The voice acting was actually very great. It was convincing as hell. The screams of despair and anguish were bone chilling.

• Agree 1

Yeah, that story was hard to watch. The voice acting was actually very great. It was convincing as hell. The screams of despair and anguish were bone chilling.

I think the best part of the anime was definitely how it makes you question who the real monster is, the humans or the vampires. lol It's a similar notion that another of my recommendation, Monster, asks much more in depth. So if you love Shiki, you should give Monster a shot. ;)

I think the best part of the anime was definitely how it makes you question who the real monster is, the humans or the vampires. lol It's a similar notion that another of my recommendation, Monster, asks much more in depth. So if you love Shiki, you should give Monster a shot. ;)

I surely will. I just need to find the time to sit and watch. I am getting the short end of the stick with my job and so on.

• Like 1

• Geano locked this topic