Ask a Cy~

Cy~

What would you do if you had a button that could destroy the world instantly?

That sounds dangerous! :o

I'd probably give it to @zoop for safekeeping. :crazy:

• Funny 1

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oi! I'm not a violent person. :?

I'm actually calm, icy, and extremely polite (almost to a fault). My explosions aren't stupid, brutal rampages. They're calculated strikes. They're also reserved for people that really deserve it.

Let me give you an example!

Many, many years ago, when I was a relatively small kid, I was in this karate class. The last twenty minutes of the class were spent sparring with your classmates. In theory, you were supposed to be respectful, follow the rules, and exercise restraint. However, there was this one older girl that kept violating all of the rules when the teachers weren't looking. She actually ended up badly hurting a friend of mine.

Well, in the next class, I decided to take revenge. I challenged her to a match. She was older than me, bigger than me, had more experience than me, and she was a whole hell of a lot stronger than me. However, she was also hot-headed. I didn't worry about winning the fight. Instead, I focused completely and totally on dodging and getting out of the way. After a few moments of that, she went psycho and tried to rush me.

I had been waiting for her to lose her cool. When she rushed me, she actually did it by opening with a completely wild roundhouse kick. I caught he foot, tipped her off balance and then launched myself straight into her. It was quick, calm, quiet and extremely effective. She ended up breathless, lying on her ass outside of the circle that we were supposed to stay in.

All of this happened while the teachers had been looking elsewhere. Of course, I got in trouble with them, but the jerk stopped beating everyone up, and I had earned the respect of my peers. I did that without yelling, without even saying much of anything, tbh. However, the result was fairly epic. That's how I roll.

Violence is for the weak, cunning is the currency of the wise. :hot:

Thanks for reassuring me there, as I do not have to take precautions, such as trying something that I do not think would work out too well.

• Funny 1

Do you consider yourself very neat? Are you irked by the very sign of dusts and dirt?

For myself, personally, I am very clean. I shower once or twice a day, I iron or steam almost all of my clothing before I wear it, brush my teeth a little too much, worry incessantly about how I smell and other weird things about that. Also, I can't stand people that smell bad, look sloppy, or just plain can't seem to take care of themselves.

HOWEVER! The area around me is a total and completely mess beyond all conception of messiness. On my desk at work, paperwork piles can be up to a foot high, old soda bottles are everywhere, and food sometimes lingers for days. At home, well, I'm a total wreck of a human being. The car is a roving junk pile.

Unfortunately, @zoop is fairly terrible at cleaning as well, so we just band together every two weeks and slave away for a few hours on the weekend to bring everything up to tip-top shape. When I do clean up, I'm a machine. I worked as a janitor for two years, and my training never left me. I can clean rooms like a pro!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

For myself, personally, I am very clean. I shower once or twice a day, I iron or steam almost all of my clothing before I wear it, brush my teeth a little too much, worry incessantly about how I smell and other weird things about that. Also, I can't stand people that smell bad, look sloppy, or just plain can't seem to take care of themselves.

HOWEVER! The area around me is a total and completely mess beyond all conception of messiness. On my desk at work, paperwork piles can be up to a foot high, old soda bottles are everywhere, and food sometimes lingers for days. At home, well, I'm a total wreck of a human being. The car is a roving junk pile.

Unfortunately, @zoop is fairly terrible at cleaning as well, so we just band together every two weeks and slave away for a few hours on the weekend to bring everything up to tip-top shape. When I do clean up, I'm a machine. I worked as a janitor for two years, and my training never left me. I can clean rooms like a pro!

Just be careful you do not ruin your immune system. Being too clean and the drug dependency that western medicine has become tends to not be good for keeping the immune system strong, especially since I have to worry about mine, even though I still have my youth.

Anyway, what would you do if your boss decided to give you your pay in unrolled pennies?

• Friendly 1

I know you've already touched on this (sort of) in the "Favorite Movie Scenes" thread, but now that I know you're a fellow film buff... What's your favorite movie? Favorite movie genre? Favorite oldies, if any? Which movie do you consider a masterpiece, if any?

Get ready for A LOT more movie-related questions. xDDDDD

• Like 1

Anyway, what would you do if your boss decided to give you your pay in unrolled pennies?

I'd look at him and say, "Really? I get that we're accountants, but REALLY?!?!! I'M GOING TO HR WITH THIS!"

Then, I'd go and it would turn out that they were the ones behind the whole scheme, because that's the kind of HR department that we have.

I know you've already touched on this (sort of) in the "Favorite Movie Scenes" thread, but now that I know you're a fellow film buff... What's your favorite movie? Favorite movie genre? Favorite oldies, if any? Which movie do you consider a masterpiece, if any?

I don't mind movie-related questions, tbh!

- Currently, my favorite movie is The Handmaiden, directed by Park Chan-wook. Yes, yes - I know. It has a terrible reputation due to the quantity of the sex scenes and the lurid camera work. However, this movie is art. Every single frame oozes with beauty; the story line is an amazing, twisted, thriller; and the acting is spot fucking on. The Handmaiden is a masterpiece. (Two questions answered, I guess?)

- My favorite movie genre is Science Fiction, in particular, I like it when Science Fiction and Horror cross paths and make beautiful babies, together. This really doesn't happen nearly as often as it should (*glares with daggers of sadness at Ridley Scott*).

- Favorite oldie is actually a tie between Harakiri and 2001: A Space Odyssey. The former because it contained a beautifully executed layered plot that built on itself in a way that most modern films would struggle to execute. The latter because it brought hard science fiction to the big screen in such a way that it actually managed to kill the genre up until Christopher Nolan brought Interstellar out into the light.

<NERD SECTION>

(For the record, when I say science fiction, I want to make sure that we have an understanding. I do not consider Star Wars or Star Trek to be HARD science fiction. Star Wars is not science fiction, because there is simply no science. It's Space Opera or something like that (more specifically, it's fantasy that happens to take place in space). Star Trek is soft science fiction. It's definitely logical and based on some kind of "science", but the science takes a back seat to the story. Hard science fiction is when the story molds itself around the limitations of the science wherever possible, while still maintaining a tight narrative.)

</NERD SECTION>

• Friendly 1
  • Winner 1

- Currently, my favorite movie is The Handmaiden, directed by Park Chan-wook.

Fuckin' same.

I only didn't add it to my foreign films thread because the trailer is lewd as hell. :?

• Funny 1

Fuckin' same.

I only didn't add it to my foreign films thread because the trailer is lewd as hell. :?

Kind of glad you did not, after having read the summary and details surrounding a book mentioned in the thread asking about worst book(s) people read.

I'd look at him and say, "Really? I get that we're accountants, but REALLY?!?!! I'M GOING TO HR WITH THIS!"

Then, I'd go and it would turn out that they were the ones behind the whole scheme, because that's the kind of HR department that we have.

I sure am glad I do not have the same kind of work you do, if that is the case.

I would heaved fired them the first chance I got, and then demand they pay back every cent the company ever paid them over the course of their career there.

Has anyone done anything unexpectedly nice for you, other than zoop?

• Like 2

Kind of glad you did not, after having read the summary and details surrounding a book mentioned in the thread asking about worst book(s) people read.

Hahaha, no problem! I was actually kind of bummed out by it though - the movie has so horribly much to offer beyond the sex scenes, and yet, that seemed to be the one thing that they were obsessed about. :'(

With or without sex scenes, it was, by far, the best lesbian romance movie I've ever seen in film - but calling it just that doesn't do justice to the thriller aspects of it.

But yeah, if I'm going to be posting trailers and such, I try to avoid things like that. :?

• Agree 1

- My favorite movie genre is Science Fiction, in particular, I like it when Science Fiction and Horror cross paths and make beautiful babies, together. This really doesn't happen nearly as often as it should (*glares with daggers of sadness at Ridley Scott*).

- Favorite oldie is actually a tie between Harakiri and 2001: A Space Odyssey. The former because it contained a beautifully executed layered plot that built on itself in a way that most modern films would struggle to execute. The latter because it brought hard science fiction to the big screen in such a way that it actually managed to kill the genre up until Christopher Nolan brought Interstellar out into the light.

<NERD SECTION>

(For the record, when I say science fiction, I want to make sure that we have an understanding. I do not consider Star Wars or Star Trek to be HARD science fiction. Star Wars is not science fiction, because there is simply no science. It's Space Opera or something like that (more specifically, it's fantasy that happens to take place in space). Star Trek is soft science fiction. It's definitely logical and based on some kind of "science", but the science takes a back seat to the story. Hard science fiction is when the story molds itself around the limitations of the science wherever possible, while still maintaining a tight narrative.)

</NERD SECTION>

Agreed with all of these. C'mon, Ridley Scott! Get your s*** together! lol *crossed fingers Blade Runner 2049 will be good*

I also agree on Star Wars and Trek not being hard science fiction. The same goes for Back to the Future, though TO BE FAIR, BttF did at least inspire some form of modern science (Where is my hoverboard?! Get it together, scientists!), so that's worth crediting. I'm afraid I'm too much of a casual though to be a fan of real science fiction. xD

But for yourself, since you like that kind of stuff, are you a fan of MST3K (if you're a fan, I don't even need to explain what that acronym means)? I don't know if it's hard science or not, but a lot of sci-fi fans love it.

• Like 1

Has anyone done anything unexpectedly nice for you, other than zoop?

Mmm, yes. The nicest thing that anyone ever did for me was this professor that took me under her wing and helped me get my start in my career. She didn't have to do it, but she did it. Today, about 5 years later, I'm still in touch with her.

But for yourself, since you like that kind of stuff, are you a fan of MST3K (if you're a fan, I don't even need to explain what that acronym means)?

I never actually had the patience for MST3K. I mean, it's funny in short bursts, but the overall humor didn't connect with me at all, hahaha, and the episodes felt sooooooooo long. @zoop on the other hand was actually extremely obsessed with MST3K.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I also agree on Star Wars and Trek not being hard science fiction. The same goes for Back to the Future, though TO BE FAIR, BttF did at least inspire some form of modern science (Where is my hoverboard?! Get it together, scientists!), so that's worth crediting. I'm afraid I'm too much of a casual though to be a fan of real science fiction. xD

Star Trek kind of inspired our tech today, but it does not feel like it is strong science fiction, as you said.

Let's see, as for Cy~, would you ever convict either the presiding judge or bailiff if you were put on the jury and your options were not limited to whether the defendant were innocent or guilty?

Do you have a favorite movie critic? Do you follow movie reviews before you check one out, or do you try to avoid as much information as you can so that you could see for yourself how good it is without the influence of others?

"Who do you think you are?"

What an interesting question! The short answer is that I don't think that I am. Who are we really but ourselves? In which case, questioning it seems like a waste, does it not?

Do you have a favorite movie critic? Do you follow movie reviews before you check one out, or do you try to avoid as much information as you can so that you could see for yourself how good it is without the influence of others?

Ehhhh, I *had* a favorite movie critic. I was a major follower of Roger Ebert's movie reviews. There was actually something of an art to the way that he reviewed things, an attribute that took his work beyond simply offering an opinion. When Ebert wrote his reviews, he considered their place among the history of movies, rather than just the present.

Yes, I cried when Roger Ebert passed away. Since that time, I haven't managed to find a critic that was as capable of taking this larger viewpoint and of remaining cognizant of their own place in the cinema culture.

I always follow movie reviews before I check them out. Avoiding information on the movie does nothing to influence my own opinion in one way or another. I am a very strong-willed person. What I like, I will like, regardless. What I don't like, I don't like, regardless. My opinion is my own, carefully considered with regards to my own perspectives and culture and held within the context of my self-identity.

Let's see, as for Cy~, would you ever convict either the presiding judge or bailiff if you were put on the jury and your options were not limited to whether the defendant were innocent or guilty?

A bailiff is just an officer of the law that is charged with looking after prisoners and ensuring order in the court. Their ability to influence proceedings is nil, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to convict them of anything - they hardly interact with the substance of the case.

A judge, on the other hand, has a great of power over the legal process (in America, at least). There are many times that I would see a judge as being guilty, and there are many times where judges have fallen short. Judges can and have been bribed, malevolent, biased in an extreme, involved in the crime that they are adjudicating, etc. In those cases, sure, the judge is guilty, because there has been a gross miscarriage of justice.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A bailiff is just an officer of the law that is charged with looking after prisoners and ensuring order in the court. Their ability to influence proceedings is nil, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to convict them of anything - they hardly interact with the substance of the case.

A judge, on the other hand, has a great of power over the legal process (in America, at least). There are many times that I would see a judge as being guilty, and there are many times where judges have fallen short. Judges can and have been bribed, malevolent, biased in an extreme, involved in the crime that they are adjudicating, etc. In those cases, sure, the judge is guilty, because there has been a gross miscarriage of justice.

That is all true, but I think would still be hilarious if somebody stood up, and said, "We, the jury, find the bailiff guilty, and we want burgers."

The judge then says, "Baliff, go get everyone burgers and take yourself away."

Yeah, not exactly realistic, but kind funny to think about.

@Cy~

You've been working on that thread for a fair little while now, how is it going?

It was going... Slowly... It turns out that making a personality quiz topic is very time consuming. A lot of the personality quizzes that I usually use are no longer online, so I had to do a LOT of reading and digging to find some good ones.

• Winner 1