Wodahs

ok peopolites of the forum

Network Attached Storage units

who has one , who had one

did you build it or buy it

what software were/are you running

what you use it for , what would you like to use it for

would you do it again and if so what changes would you implement

I have spare equipment (and no I'm not an Hermaphrodite) and was thinking of setting up one

one thing I'm wanting to achieve is with the update of win 10 on my main machine ive lost my free to air tv due to the loss of wmc (and I haven't found a replacement I'm liking) so if I can incorporate this in to the nas unit and access it with my plex player/server amongst the other features of having a nas , if I'm believing at what a nas can do

I have a NAS with 8 TB storage (RAID 0 on 2 hard drives).

I use it mainly for backups, especially video backups and store my content for Plex. My NAS does have a Media server, but it was not too good for what I needed, as I had slow Internet at the NAS's location, and Plex let me set bitrates manually.

I would get another one, but one that is compatible with Plex, so I did not need to use a separate machine as a server.

i don't have a NAS drive but i have friends that have set theirs up, they only use it for media. i think run kodi on it. they have also set up something else in order to be able to download torrents onto their NAS drive, quite often i will be like have you seen this series ?

they are like nope, they will access their NAS and start a download so when they get home they can start watching it.

so its definitely possible to do what you are doing, sorry idk the complete process as i do not use one myself.

alternatively you can just download kodi and get an addon to watch all your movies, TV series. anime and sports etc

the quality is generally pretty good too.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Synology DS412+ sitting in the home theatre.

Similar to @brycec I'm primarily using it as anime library storage for Plex Media Server (server and client run locally on a Mac Mini) I'm also storing most of my anime BD purchases on it for the anime screenshot galleries and also using it as a download server (very good for overnight tasks).

4x 4 TB Western Digital Red HDDs (in RAID5 I think?) = 10.82 TB (usable)... 4.14 TB free space remaining...

• 2 weeks later...