How old were you when you discovered anime?

Cy~

How old were you when you discovered anime?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when you discovered anime?

• 0 - 10
    • 11 - 13
    • 14 - 18
    • 18 - 24
    • 24 - 35
    • 36+

I kept thinking about this for a while, until, really, I figured that I should just ask the question. How old were you when you first discovered anime?

Personally, I think that I'll turn out to be one of the latest to discover anime on this site, hahaha. I kinda stumbled into things a little late. I had watched maybe an episode or two of some things earlier in life, but I didn't know that they were anime and that anime was good. That came when I met Zoop. :angel:

• Like 1

Tricky question, since I technically first watched anime ever since I was a kid, about 6-7 years old - only that I didn't know about the term, "anime" yet.

The first time I truly discovered anime and its definition was during my college years, when I was 19 or 20 years old. That was the first time I actively sought out anime on my own instead of just watching whatever that came up on TV.

So, yeah, go figure from there. :P It really depends.

• Like 2

I was ten years old when I first watched the original television broadcast of Dragonball. @_@

I didn't even know what anime was at the time, or that it was a Japanese show - I just knew that it was weird and kind of cool. :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I was around 8 years old I think when I randomly changed the channel before I went to school and discovered Dragon Ball Z and I am still a fan ever since

• Like 1

0 - 10, definitely somewhere around there. I kinda accidentally (yes - it was on TV) watched an anime I probably shouldn't have. I couldn't remember what it was about, I know there was people getting shot - with lots of blood too, I think. I know I didn't start actively searching for anime until I was about 12 - 13 years old. The first anime I watched from start to finish was I think, either Elfen Lied or Ginga Densetsu Weed.

• Like 2

I was around 12 years old when I discovered anime.

My Stepdad introduced me to it when he gave me Hiyao Miyazaki's Spirited Away.

Since then I went on to watch all the Ghibli films by age 13, and started actively searching for and watching anime at 14 years old.

It's been over 2 years and I'm still at it! <3^_^

• Like 2

Oh man, I think I remember the first anime I watched (besides Dragon Ball Z, because we know everyone has seen that) was Yu Yu Hakusho on Adult Swim. I thought that was some next level stuff. Good times. I was like 7.

I kept thinking about this for a while, until, really, I figured that I should just ask the question. How old were you when you first discovered anime?

Personally, I think that I'll turn out to be one of the latest to discover anime on this site, hahaha. I kinda stumbled into things a little late. I had watched maybe an episode or two of some things earlier in life, but I didn't know that they were anime and that anime was good. That came when I met Zoop. :angel:

you may have found anime mor recent than me but I bet I was older than you in relation to age at time of finding anime "officially"

@Cy~

• Like 1

I was 6 or 7 when I came across the Pokemon anime in 1999.

i discovered anime when my friend introduced me to it i didn't think i'd like it becos i've never before shown much interest in comics of cartoons or stuff like that but i really like Japan and so i thought why not give it a try :3 and it just kinda went on from there!!

sadly i've only watched 2 animes because I struggle to fine ones i like :/

• Like 3

sadly i've only watched 2 animes because I struggle to fine ones i like :/

Ya know, you could post a topic asking for recommendations, if you want to?

There are so many genres and styles within anime, I'm sure that there is *something* out there for you. :angel:

• Like 1

Ya know, you could post a topic asking for recommendations, if you want to?

There are so many genres and styles within anime, I'm sure that there is *something* out there for you. :angel:

I have considered doing that myself, since I need something to watch, but I have not had much luck of liking the things people recommended me, other than one particular anime.

Nowadays, I just try to find something that might be interesting and watch a few episodes.

It never really hurts though to try.

• Like 1

other than pokemon and the occasional sailor moon episode that was on tv when i was younger, i didnt start watching it until around 7th grade? which means i was 12

my friend recommended me fruits basket, and we made a friend on our bus that let us borrow their otaku usa magazines so it all spiraled from there

• Like 4

I think I was maybe 8 when I first watched anime (Inuyasha and Fullmetal Alchemist, which I found quite scary at that age), although I didn't know what it was back then.

• Like 2

Around 14 I got really into Anime, and I have to thank DBZ on Toonami and other animes on Toonami for the initial introduction, it wasn't until later and watching Mai HIME that I went full blow Otaku. Been watching ever since.

• Like 2

I was really young. A girl I consider my cousin (although we are not related) would occasionally baby sit my sister and I, and she was into anime, and I really looked up to her. She usually didn't watch anything else while she was watching us but she would when my mom was visiting the woman I consider my aunt and I would often watch it with her. Sailor Moon and Gundam are the ones that distinctively stood out to me that she watched. From there I was seeking out anime quite a bit. I would sneak out of bed late at night to watch Rurouni Kenshin, Tenchi Muyo, and Zoids. And of course daytime anime like Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh, DBZ, etc.

• Like 4

Okay technically I discovered around 9 maybe 10-ish i cant quite remember but I new it was an anime because I heard the term earlier in life but I wasn't interested at first but a few months past and I got an actual iPad so I can search stuff up on and discovered anime and loved it!

I auncosciously watched animes around 8-10 years old since there were a lot of Animes back then that were dubbed to our language and I found it entertaining at that time since it was the only thing on TV. And who wouldn't love Doraemon <3 <3 Subconsciously speaking, I discovered anime when I was around 8 years old :P

• Geano locked this topic