AF Mafia

Orius

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is just a suggestion but you sure you want to settle with just two character types? On other mafia games, there are characters like the Hero who gets to choose the person he/she wants to protect for that day. So there might be times when no one gets killed.

But this is AF's first mafia game (Is it? Correct me if I'm wrong) so I guess the simplier the better?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

But this is AF's first mafia game (Is it? Correct me if I'm wrong) so I guess the simplier the better?

It is, as far as I'm aware. With that in mind, I think keeping it a little simple is probably a good idea - expanded roles and abilities can be fun, though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

This is just a suggestion but you sure you want to settle with just two character types? On other mafia games, there are characters like the Hero who gets to choose the person he/she wants to protect for that day. So there might be times when no one gets killed.

Yeah, I would love to expand on the roles, but I've just experienced way too many dead mafia games to risk going too crazy. lol

And besides, we don't exactly have a huge number of players for the first game, so simple is better. :) Perhaps in the next game... if this one goes well and we get to finish it first, that is. :)

The game will begin tonight by the way. I think we've delayed long enough. :P

Edited by Guest
  • Like 4

Yeah, I would love to expand on the roles, but I've just experienced way too many dead mafia games to risk going too crazy. lol

And besides, we don't exactly have a huge number of players for the first game, so simple is better. :) Perhaps in the next game... if this one goes well and we get to finish it first, that is. :)

The game will begin tonight by the way. I think we've delayed long enough. :P

Can you arrange a time, per night? Time zones are a challenge for threads like this that shouldn't be ignored. It doesn't matter to me what time, just so long as I am prepared to be available for it. :)

• Like 2

Can you arrange a time, per night? Time zones are a challenge for threads like this that shouldn't be ignored. It doesn't matter to me what time, just so long as I am prepared to be available for it. :)

One of the perks to mafia is that it doesn't require everyone to be present all at once - vote phases and such generally can last multiple days, depending on how indecisive folks are, allowing for all time zones to be represented

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly 1

One of the perks to mafia is that it doesn't require everyone to be present all at once - vote phases and such generally can last multiple days, depending on how indecisive folks are, allowing for all time zones to be represented

Okay, cool.

That's ideal for me, since 01:30 in the morning is when this forum really comes alive, which is awkward :D

Good to know, thanks!

• Like 2

Agreed, but I think I'll set a limit to it just in case - let's say three days of waiting before the game moves on by default. :P

As for the timezone, yeah, I don't think it matters if we're gonna wait anyway. ;)

• Like 1
  • Friendly 1

oTN3Dxc.png.a03bf86601a2b1ae4c1f6393b9bca5cf.png

Greetings.

One of you eight is going to die. Murdered by a traitor among you. I don't know whom or why, but that is a fact.

There is one way to save yourself, however... Make a contract with me. :)

Or, you could just cast your vote blindly and figure out whom among you might be the would-be killer, though I wouldn't recommend such a troublesome alternative. :)

For your convenience, the names of those standing alongside you are:

@Kohloo

@Kirry (Real Name: Tanya Degurechaff)

@Sekkarou

@Scrooge

@zin

@Nectar

@zoop (Real Name: Queen Zoop Zooperton VII)

@Wedgy

Good luck. I'd say you have about three days before your death occurs. :)

Remember, your life is just a contract away!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Let's kick things off,

I'm a hero of justice and I wanna solve this traitor conflict.

Based on my experience, the GMs will choose whoever the most active and popular one on the game thread as the traitor. But it could also be the opposite. Traitor could also be the one who posted just once. So I think we should cast our vote on either Kirry or Wedgy.

I got this PM approximately fifteen minutes after the start of the game. I find the private message route to be an interesting one to take - if we presume that all players will respect that so-called sanctity of a private message, it allows a person to say many different things to many different people, without the same degree of responsibility that comes from a public post - after all, for all I know, every other player in the game may have received the same message instead suggesting that I be the one voted off.

And that is why I'm responding here, out in the open, in public. I believe that none of us should feel that we have anything to hide, and that any statements we make to each other should be out in the open so that if any of us slips up and reveals potentially compromising information about themselves and their role in the game, it will be out in the open for all to see and analyze. After all, how are we to play the game at all if much of our discourse is behind closed doors? Where is the fun in that?

And so, with that out of the way, here's my response to you, @Scrooge

While that may be the case with amateur GMs in particular, I don't think I would expect Orius to take that approach, not for the first game, at any rate, with only one traitor in our midst. It'd seem a little too obvious. Besides, if Orius was manually assigning roles, I think he'd be a little more clever about it than that.

That said, I think I don't think that I'm comfortable deciding my vote on how people interacted in the thread before the game even had a chance to start - the reasoning behind the suggestion that we vote for Kirry or Wedgy seems too much of a stretch - though a convenient stretch for a traitor to make.

Just saying.

@Scrooge I still love you

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2
  • Winner 1

While that may be the case with amateur GMs in particular, I don't think I would expect Orius to take that approach, not for the first game, at any rate, with only one traitor in our midst. It'd seem a little too obvious. Besides, if Orius was manually assigning roles, I think he'd be a little more clever about it than that.

You give me too much credit, @zoop. lol But you're right, to some extent. The choice of the Traitor was decided based on a number generator from 1 to 8. That means any of you could be the Traitor, spicing up the fun. :D

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

The choice of the Traitor was decided based on a number generator from 1 to 8

i was hoping that was the case! that way no bias at all is involved

i do think discussing strategy from all parties is interesting but doing it in pms does ruin some of the fun :)

• Like 2

You give me too much credit, @zoop. lol But you're right, to some extent. The choice of the Traitor was decided based on a number generator from 1 to 8. That means any of you could be the Traitor, spicing up the fun. :D

download.jpg.06008de5ede8bd9d4aa46f18a6006492.jpg

If you had manually assigned the role, I think Nectar would have been the most likely for you to pick, anyway, given the joke I made before the game started.

Appreciate the confirmation on that, though - that basically clears Wedgy and Kirry right off the bat.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

For all I know, every other player in the game may have received the same message instead suggesting that I be the one voted off.

I recieved an identical PM at 15:10 BST.

though a convenient stretch for a traitor to make.

I immediately smelt a rat upon reading the message, to PM everybody with advice to vote for two other people with basic reasoning.

Plus, the first sentence? "I'm a hero of justice and I wanna solve this traitor conflict." seems a little guilty and suspicious to me.

that basically clears Wedgy and Kirry right off the bat.

I wouldn't go that far. For me, I'm just as likely to vote for you than for Kirry since Scrooge is most likely unrelated to her or Wedgy.

This is a lot of fun so far :D

• Agree 2

I wouldn't go that far. For me, I'm just as likely to vote for you than for Kirry since Scrooge is most likely unrelated to her or Wedgy.

This is a lot of fun so far :D

What I mean is that it invalidates the reasoning given for Scrooge to suggest that we start the game by bandwagon voting for them - obviously, at the moment, most of us haven't done anything to establish ourselves as being good guys / bad guys.

That said, I think Scrooge's PM tactic and rush to point the finger does plant a dark cloud over their head where this game is concerned.

• Agree 2

Man, I honestly wish I could chime in, but anything I say would either give away the identity or just throw you guys off the game. :D It's just so tempting to throw you a curve-ball and misdirect you... Ugh, it's killing me. xD

• Like 2

Man, I honestly wish I could chime in, but anything I say would either give away the identity or just throw you guys off the game. :D It's just so tempting to throw you a curve-ball and misdirect you... Ugh, it's killing me. xD

Unless this post is, in and of itself, an attempt at misdirection. :-/

You sly devil, you.

Also, to preempt the inevitable "ZOOP MUST BE THE TRAITOR, WHY ELSE WOULD SHE POST SO MUCH!", I'd just like to remind everyone that I'm a bored anti-social housewife that lives most of her weekday life as a happy shut-in.

• Winner 1
  • Funny 1

I'd just like to remind everyone that I'm a bored anti-social housewife that lives most of her weekday life as a happy shut-in.

Can confirm. In every mafia game, Zoop posts a ton, regardless of what her role is. It's literally my fault because work. Lol. xD

(I'm totally not hiding in the women's restroom to stall for time and post during work on a Friday.)

• Like 1
  • Winner 2
  • Funny 1

Ohohoho.

Looks like someone's pulling the strings to make me look like the traitor here

Seriously tho. I haven't read any rules saying that all discussions must be in this thread. And I thought Mafia is all about manipulation and stuff. Oh well, plan exposed

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1
  • Friendly 1
  • Funny 1

Ohohoho.

Looks like someone's pulling the strings to make me look like the traitor here

I would argue, in fact, that I am simply issuing a stern response to your own attempt to - as you put it - pull the strings to point a target on Wedgy and Kirry. Whereas I have acted openly, and above board, you opted to lurk in the shadows, behind the scenes.

Besides, I didn't call you out as being a traitor per se, I simply observed - fairly, I think - that your actions have been questionable and worth placing under a critical spotlight.

Whether or not that leads to anything further remains to be seen.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I only tried to act as safely as possible. If I accuse someone openly and it turns out that they are the true traitor, they might make some move to take me down instead. But it seems my "safe play" became a "dangerous play" here.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1