What anime let you down with its lack of commitment to romantic pairings

anime4eva

(Long title eh?)

And unfortunately spoilers abound

So what anime teased pairings enough to get you hooked than just pretended like it never existed or half a$$ed it.

Off the top of my head I would say, Soul Eater....oh an Kekkasi kinda half a$$ed it

• Like 1

Umm, this is quite a hard one. Soul Eater I do agree with however it was pretty good nearly until the end, the very ending was so URGH.

Imo Death Note ^^, I know how much people love it but you gotta agree that after ...

L died

it kind of became half assed, just repeated same thing all over again for 12 more ep's or so.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

Yeah glad you agree with Soul Eater, I mean my god they shove [spoiler=Spoiler]Maka and Soul so much, then I read how nothing happens..wtf, makes me not wanna finish it

Death note the quality of the entire shows drops after that point.

From what I hear shonen' seem to be a big culprit of that. Which is why its tough for me to commit so much time to unfulfilled fantasy lol.

Like Luffy and Nami seem really close and I would love that but I hear there will be no pairings in One Piece.

I guess Chrono Crusade is something I would count among that, since pretty much right after the characters get together, they die. So I mean, yeah it happened, but not long enough for anything to really come of it.

Another I have in my head but I can't think of the anime is towards the season finale, which has been building and building up these two characters getting together, it really seems like it's about to happen at a festival, and then some of their friends ruin it. In the second season they get together but it's so bittersweet because the best opportunity to do it gets passed by and it ends up being less interesting when it happens. I mean good that it happened, but bad timing kind of ruined the moment.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Oh yeah chrono crusade for sure! It probably couldn't be more obvious and then...well...you know.

I believe the jury is till out on fairytale as well. I don't even watch and I want Lucy and the dude with the pink hair to get thogether but idk if it will happen as well

what was the worst anime that let me down was Manabe and Kotorora from Kotorora-San :/ they kind had a spark but like the anime left it on a bit of a cliff hanger to wether they really were with each other or not :( i wasn't too sure but they deffo liked each other.... was disappointed wanted a cute rom com ❤️

• Friendly 1

Naruto ofc, Sasuke and Sakura, very little for everyone else...

I don't want to make this into a shipping argument, but even those pairings were so half assed. There was little to support either IMO

what was the worst anime that let me down was Manabe and Kotorora from Kotorora-San :/ they kind had a spark but like the anime left it on a bit of a cliff hanger to wether they really were with each other or not :( i wasn't too sure but they deffo liked each other.... was disappointed wanted a cute rom com ❤️

Yikes, sounds hearbreaking!

Honestly, I didn't care about pairings until Naruto came along. And Sakura just ruined the show for me. That Sakura & Sasuke thing made no sense, but Hinata & Naruto didn't have much development either. They weren't even on the same team. I was starting like Sakura in the second show, but when Sasuke came into the picture it ruined all her character development. Such a shame.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Honestly, I didn't care about pairings until Naruto came along. And Sakura just ruined the show for me. That Sakura & Sasuke thing made no sense, but Hinata & Naruto didn't have much development either. They weren't even on the same team. I was starting like Sakura in the second show, but when Sasuke came into the picture it ruined all her character development. Such a shame.

I couldn't agree any more.

• Like 1

I guess Chrono Crusade is something I would count among that, since pretty much right after the characters get together, they die. So I mean, yeah it happened, but not long enough for anything to really come of it.

Oh, gawd. You're making me want to re-watch Chrono. Tbh, I thought I was one of the only ones here who watched it. But I agree... I was really really sad with that ending. LIKE WHY?!

(Long title eh?)

And unfortunately spoilers abound

So what anime teased pairings enough to get you hooked than just pretended like it never existed or half a$$ed it.

Off the top of my head I would say, Soul Eater....oh an Kekkasi kinda half a$$ed it

Yeah, Maka x Soul should have been more of a legit thing. But.. Shounen-y anime almost always does this.

Death Parade, Decim x Chiyuki. I mean, I enjoyed the ending because it made me cry. But, yeah. You know.

_death_parade_decim_and_chiyuki_by_saeko_doyle-d8olsfm.thumb.jpg.95d9613722a0cc18d26a9911174a0c3c.jpg

Also, Princess TuTu. One of my favorite series and the ending. THE ENDING. THE FUIN ENDING. Fakir x Ahiru. If you've seen it, you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Like... That was crap. I can't say I hated the ending completely. But... Could have let Ahiru stay human.

fakir_and_ahiru_wedding_part_2_by_aveondcrazy-d4nm1fv.png.141c6ae9ba8def68b3c2dd7df827dafb.png

Oh, gawd. You're making me want to re-watch Chrono. Tbh, I thought I was one of the only ones here who watched it. But I agree... I was really really sad with that ending. LIKE WHY?!

Yeah, Maka x Soul should have been more of a legit thing. But.. Shounen-y anime almost always does this.

Yeah I hate that shounen do that, and on the flip side they are so good at teasing at setting up a pair.

Death Parade, Decim x Chiyuki. I mean, I enjoyed the ending because it made me cry. But, yeah. You know.

[ATTACH=full]32300[/ATTACH]

I loved death parade, but it as a whole kinda left me wanting more.

Almost all of them?

Hahaha, I'll make a serious response. Basically, I've noticed that anime pairings just don't normally develop. Even with characters that are allegedly adult, there's this weird inclination to keep things right at the phase of first-date, high-school romance level. All of the awkwardness - "can we hold hands?", "should we kiss?", etc, etc.

I get a little crazy sometimes watching anime drag it out. I long for a romantic pairing where they're like, "you know what, fuck it", and just get it on already.

Note: My perspective may be biased here since I don't watch a lot of straight romance anime. Hahaha, and the girl-girl stuff just. doesn't. commonly. exist. in anime.

Soooo, I guess my favorite anime/manga would be the prime candidate for this topic. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid hints, hints, baits, dances around and... SPOILER... Ultimately doesn't actually make things unambiguous. I love the show, but damn if I wasn't left just a tiny bit sour.

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

• Geano locked this topic