How do you find new anime?

Cy~

Anime wizards, I call upon you.

I feel like @zoop and I have hit a phase where we have watched almost all of the things that we want to watch, and yet, we're certain that there's a lot of stuff still left to find. The problem is finding it. Once you get out of the top 100 or so shows, there don't seem to be many easy ways to filter down to the weird stuff that we might like.

This particular issue has resulted in us just not having as many new things to watch as I would like, particularly during weak anime seasons. It also resulted in my wondering how others deal with this problem.

How do you find shows that you're interested in? Do you rely on tips from others? Read reviews? Look for specific studios? Or, do you close your eyes and throw a dart? Talk to meee. o3o

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

I close my eyes and fondle around in the dark until I find something I like the feel of

I really fucking think that there will be no other posts in this topic that are filled with nearly as much passionate feeling.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

In all honestly, when I'm looking for something new to watch, that may or may not be newly out, I use google to search a year or a genre and let it take me to a site like animelist and see what looks the most interesting. I found Hanasaku Iroha and Bakamatsu that way, so it's worked for me several times.

• Like 1

I usually search for an anime that's related to one of my favorites by using Google. You can find a lot of recommendations that way. MyAnimeList is a decent source as well. And don't be afraid to ask a fellow anime fan about their favorites as well.

• Like 1

Quite often I'll search what I've already watched on Anime-Planet.

Same actually! One of the things that makes me sad is that I've reached the point where most of the recommendeds on Anime Planet are also things that I have already seen. I think that it might be my own fault for liking anime that are in a relatively narrow scope. Though, one thing that I haven't actually done is read through the comments in detail. I just started doing that recently and noticed that people actually include a lot of detail on shows, including other shows besides the recommendation.

The adventure continues!

• Like 2

I find all my anime, unfortunately really, from (British) Crunchyroll. It has a small library, but I find it to be plenty good enough for me. I just concluded this season's anime, and I think it was a pretty okay season ^^

I acknowledge than in using the British Crunchyroll, my exposure to the best from each season is somewhat limited due to licensing issues. For now though, I don't see any cost-effective alternative.

I don't fancy paying for VPN, and I'm definitely not going back to piracy. Not good for the animation studios. I try to pay for my anime where I can ^^

Gotta distribute that wealth xD

I really hope GB Crunchyroll gets better in the coming years. I'm missing out on Re-creators, and that sucks since apparently it's quite good.

• Like 1

I find all my anime, unfortunately really, from (British) Crunchyroll.

I don't really see that as unfortunate, tbh. The great majority of the anime that Zoop and I consume is from Crunchyroll. As with you, if it isn't there, I won't go elsewhere in a lot of cases unless I'm utterly desperate, which uh... Can happen in some limited cases.

I got a site for you! I use it all the time since its easier than clicking on loads of google links and top ten lists.

http://www.randomanime.org/

Basically you put in 3 genres you are looking for and hit generate! Then just flip through the eligible anime until you find one that looks satisfying.

sceenshot.thumb.png.1d9bd9eb5b267fc80aaeacb9b56813f4.png

• Like 2

90% of the time, I end up finding anime I like by somehow stumbling upon fanart and then figuring out where said character comes from and then watching said show.

Character design gets me.

It sounds insane but for real.

Also. I have found a few series by AMV. It will have a scene that I find interesting and then I seek out where it originated from :P

Sure, my methods are insanely stupid. Sure, I could just hop on MAL. Butttttt. I live on the edge. And I'm not terrified of potential spoilers.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I remember when I was younger and I used to search animalog (it was an watch anime online site) and I would just open in a random page of it and watch one of the animes of that page, I saw some horrible ones (I'm talking to you, Phi Brain Kami no Puzzle). Today I watch mostly animes tha are airing in the current season but sometimes I watch some older ones that I see in some AMV and like.

Once you get out of the top 100 or so shows, there don't seem to be many easy ways to filter down to the weird stuff that we might like.

I agree with this so much, I watched so many shitty animes on animalog and how I, for some reason, dislike droping animes even if they are shit, used to watch them till the end. The only one I dropped was Phi Brain.

• Like 1

OKAY SO:

1) First I ask for recommendations from people here who I know like the same things I do.

2) I look at related anime to ones I like.

3) I use anime suggestion engines and MAL Anime recommendations based on a series I've seen.

4) I use the subreddit /r/animesuggest

5) In some cases, if the anime is produced by a small studio, there is a good chance that the studio has another work you will like as well.

6) I stalk random people's MAL lists.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I actually stumble new animes on anime sites and sometimes here as well. Like I have this habit of seeing the list of seasonal animes on MAL and then end up bookmarking them and then forget them later on :P

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

tbh i just look up videos on youtube pertaining to the certain genre i want to watch, then it gives me a list of say top 20. After I just check out the animes that appealed to me in the video. I ask for recommendations sometimes and sometimes they work, not all the time tho 0_0

• Like 2

Basically you put in 3 genres you are looking for and hit generate! Then just flip through the eligible anime until you find one that looks satisfying.

Holy wow! I've never actually seen this before, hahaha.

This is actually a pretty cool site. Thank you and @Time Traveller for sharing it here.

I think that I'll play around with it today.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly 1

• Geano locked this topic