Required Viewing in Anime

Cy~

What are the anime that someone simply must see to call themselves a "fan"? Is there no such thing as this? Do they have to view every episode, or is it good enough to just give a try and then walk away?

Keep in mind, this topic is just for fun. Basically, pretend that a martian just landed and they want to understand anime. What would you tell them to watch?

Here's my own list of "required" anime:

• Azumanga Daioh
  • Clannad: After Story
  • Black Lagoon
  • Everything by Studio Ghibli (actually, I feel like I could have just said this and then walked away, lmfao)
  • Black Lagoon (just for the laughs of seeing their expressions at the flawless violence and bombast)

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

Quite a few if not all Studio Ghibli movies, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, and Ouran High School Host Club round out what I consider the anime to see if you want to "understand" anime.

I don't think there's such a list to compile to consider a person a "fan". There's so many different types of anime and everyone finds different stories and characters appealing. And as a person who works full time and has other outside duties I don't see a problem with watching a few episodes and walking away from a series. If something doesn't appeal to you or goes in a way you don't like I don't think anyone should force themselves to spend the time finishing the story.

*2nd edit - I liked what I had originally posted but I got a message that the site was undergoing maintenance?

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

This goes back to the whole discussion of whether if anime has a distinct style you need to understand. But I think the two of you have covered most of the suitable anime for beginners.

And I say beginners, because if you really want to get into what makes anime "anime", there can be so many other types that aren't the mainstream variety. Let me show you what I mean by listing a few of my recommendations for "must-watch" anime:

- Serial Experiments Lain

- Neon Genesis Evangelion

- Ghost in the Shell (1995 movie)

- Paprika

- Akira

All of those anime contain complex themes that are difficult to comprehend and even harder to swallow for those who don't watch this type of thought-provoking shows. And yet, they make up the core foundation of anime, especially Ghost in the Shell which further revolutionized not just anime, but the cyberpunk genre as a whole (I said "further" because Blade Runner is the true godfather of cyberpunk). Akira is another important anime that set the trend for many sci-fi anime in the future.

So you have to think about what is considered "required" and "essential"? Do you mean to understand how anime started? Well, then, I suggest you go watch the first anime ever created, Astro Boy. That's the godfather of all anime you see today. Do you mean to find the most popular anime people are watching? Then simply just refer to MyAnimeList or kitsu's "Top Anime List" and you'll find stuff like the Monogatari series, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star, Kara no Kyōkai, Fate/Stay Night, One Punch Man, Attack on Titan, etc.

And let's not assume that all Ghibli movies are required anime. Personally, I found their environmentalist views too one-sided to be considered a definitive view of what anime represents.

Like Imogen said, there are so many types of anime that everyone would find a different kind of story waiting for them. I think this topic really comes down to what are the "best" anime rather than what are the "required" anime like it's some history textbook.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Dragonball, for the best understanding of over the top combat.

Hantsuki, for proof of how 6 episodes of a show can tell a story

Your Lie In April, to understand how music anime can still be great character studies

Kuroko no Basket, to get a feel for sports anime

Hanasaku Iroha, for the best understanding of slice of life

Kimi ni Todoke, to get a feel for romantic high school dramas

• Like 1

I think it should always be sorted out by genre. For instance, in the first post, Clannad After Story was mentioned. I saw it...it was...okay, I guess, but that style and genre just isn't for a person like me. Too sappy.

For extreme stupidity and comedic randomness, I would recommend a series like Excel Saga or the Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu series.

For something with sci-fi and action, I would recommend Cowboy Bebop.

For people who like big robots and mechs, I would just point them to the Gundam franchise. It has a 40-year history...one of the series are bound to draw a person in.

For a fighting series, I guess I'd recommend Dragon Ball, Hunter x Hunter, Naruto, etc.

So, um, yeah... lol

Well I'd probably go with something short for a beginner, so I'm not gonna shove something like Hunter X Hunter or DBZ in there face. In all honestly I'd probably just whip out an anime movie(Most likely by Studio Ghibli), then move on to some actual animes.

For the very first animes it would be these:

Tokyo Ghoul(Decent action anime)

Spice and Wolf(Only straight romance anime I've finished to the end. .-.)

Attack on Titan(Falls in the same category as Tokyo Ghoul.)

Psycho Pass(My first sci-fi/psychological anime)

Kinos Journey(Has some fantasy elements, its not very popular and despite the occasional action scenes its one of the most relaxing animes I've watched, so I think its beginner friendly despite being old)

• Like 2

I absolutely adore Spice and Wolf! Though I think simply calling it a romance anime doesn't quite due it justice if I'm to be completely honest. :D

and yeah, I don't watch many straight romances either. ^^;

• Like 1

This is actually a really good pick for this category, actually.

It's a weird duck, though, because it manages to combine a really strong presentation of economics with romance, adventure, and a little bit of mysticism. Tbh, I can't believe that I left it off my list.

Also, me three, hahaha. I don't watch a lot of straight romances. :P

• Like 1

• Geano locked this topic