Episode Threads - preview images/text

Optic

Should we hide any of the preview images and preview text for the episode discussion threads?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Should we hide any of the preview images and preview text for the episode discussion threads?

• Yes - just hide the preview text
    • Yes - hide both the preview text and images
    • Yes - hide just the preview images
    • No - it is fine the way it is

Question

Hi everyone,

As you all know the list of threads when browsing the sub-forums have preview text and preview images.

For the Anime Episode Discussion area, this might be a problem as it might reveal spoilers via text and images:

https://animeforums.net/community/forums/episode-discussion.376/

Are you fine with the way it is now or would you like to see the previews hidden just for the Episode Discussion area?

Your feedback would greatly be appreciated as we work to help get anime episode specific discussion going again.

:nepgear:

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

8 answers to this question

I would say hide the preview text. Images will not do much, at least if the subs are not present, but that is all I can say, since there are not really any shows I follow talked about in there.

• Informative 1

I don't see a reason to do that, but I do think when a new thread is made there, that "spoilers" should always be a part of the title of any thread in there, or that a thread should start with a line that spoilers are ahead. Honestly, I don't agree with ever hiding text for any reason and the inclusion of something like that would either lower, or completely stop my chances of showing up in threads that have it.

• Informative 1

Hi @RepentantSky, point taken.

The current dilemma though is the preview excerpt displays the first 200 characters of the first post.

So unless the thread starter takes care not to put spoilers in the first 200 characters, other visitors could be exposed to spoilers if the visitor isn't up to date or familiar with the series.

I think it can also be assumed that any threads in this area would very likely have spoilers (which we mention in our Forum Guidelines).

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

Simple question, but how do you make an image work when starting an episode discussion? I've seen that the coding is basically [attach=full and so on, but linked images seem to have numbers between them when they work and I'm entirely sure what that's about or why it works. There;s clearly something here that's going over my head. Sorry if this doesn't quite fit here, but I'm not really sure where else to ask this without making a new thread, which seems it bit much for this.

Hi @RepentantSky,

Are you uploading the images when making the post? Or are you inserting them from an external image hosting service? (we have a feature that automatically converts external images to attachments)

When you upload images to your post, below the message box there is an Attached Files section and you have two shortcut options to insert them inline: Thumbnail and Full Size

attachment-guide.thumb.jpg.43866f95c7c385c7a9465815ebd87ab4.jpg

Thumbnail will insert it using this format:

[ATTACH]32588[/ATTACH]

Whereas Full Image will insert it using this format:

[ATTACH=full]32594[/ATTACH]

The numbers are based on the ID of the image which you shouldn't have to worry about at all if you're using the shortcut buttons as illustrated above.

When you are uploading them for the first time, as you insert the in your post you get to see the actual images in your message box. The next time you edit it, it will only show the BBCode...

Hope this helps answer your question? Let me know if you need further clarification.

Edited by Guest

Well, what I've been trying to do on numerous occasions in other threads and even a previously made episode discussion thread, was googling an image, viewing it, copying the url and posting it, which only posts the link, without the image itself showing up, which means either the site I'm getting these from doesn't work with this forum which seems off, because I've tried several site just in case that were true, and always get the same results. Just now, I have a second tab open for the forum and I'm trying to upload the image after saving it, and all I'm seeing when I preview it is the hyperlinked code for the attached image, which doesn't lead to the image I'm clicking anyways. Shouldn't I see the image as I preview it, or does it only show me the hyperlink when I try to follow the instructions. I'm quite unsure at this point.

Ahh... when you preview your post it is normal for the images not to show up, that's currently a limitation of the editor...

When you save your post then they should show up as normal.

I would stick to saving images and manually uploading the images to your post as you've done in your most recent test because if you're copying and pasting URLs there's a chance they could be being blocked from their end (hotlink protection).

If you want you can send me a test conversation with your images as a test.

Edited by Guest