Strange plots in anime

Cy~

Have you ever watched an anime and felt a strange sinking sensation as you fell off a cliff of madness, down a rabbit hole, or into a hall of mirrors? Basically, have you ever watched an anime with a strange plot? Which anime? Why was it strange? Did you find the gold at the end of the rainbow?

I actually run into a lot of anime that I feel are pretty strange, but for my own example, I'll just cite Girls und Panzer. At first glance, it's just "cute girls doing cute things", but if you really think about it, then things start to seem a little strange. I found myself thinking about the circumstances that could lead to an isolated world where girls engage in fierce battle in tanks.

Think about it. What about casualties? Are they training for some kind of war? If so, then are they always at war? Is everyone always at war? Why the hell are tanks only for girls? What's up with the schools? Where are all of the men/boys?!?!?! Are they all prisoners!? IS THIS A WEIRD SOCIETY OF TANK DRIVING AMAZONIAN WARRIORS!?!?!

Anyway. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that has watched some pretty weird stuff, hahah. Pls don't let me be the only one to post. xD

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

Eureka Seven is one of the weirdest anime I've ever seen. The plot itself was fine at first and I still love the show, but some of that stuff was really really strange. You sort of get it by the end and yet I've always wondered why it wasn't a little more simple. It seemed like they tried to make it more "complicated" and I ended up caring about the characters instead of the plot.

• Like 1

Have you ever watched an anime and felt a strange sinking sensation as you fell off a cliff of madness, down a rabbit hole, or into a hall of mirrors? Basically, have you ever watched an anime with a strange plot? Which anime? Why was it strange? Did you find the gold at the end of the rainbow?

I actually run into a lot of anime that I feel are pretty strange, but for my own example, I'll just cite Girls und Panzer. At first glance, it's just "cute girls doing cute things", but if you really think about it, then things start to seem a little strange. I found myself thinking about the circumstances that could lead to an isolated world where girls engage in fierce battle in tanks.

Think about it. What about casualties? Are they training for some kind of war? If so, then are they always at war? Is everyone always at war? Why the hell are tanks only for girls? What's up with the schools? Where are all of the men/boys?!?!?! Are they all prisoners!? IS THIS A WEIRD SOCIETY OF TANK DRIVING AMAZONIAN WARRIORS!?!?!

Anyway. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that has watched some pretty weird stuff, hahah. Pls don't let me be the only one to post. xD

OMG yes! Girls und Panzer is a fantastic example of this. I found the show to be a bit too cutesy at first for my tastes, but it was just so strange and like....what the hell kind of world is this? So of course I had to keep watching.

I vaguely remember feeling similar about Gunslinger Girl. But it's been quite awhile since I've seen that and I remember very little of the plot. Just the idea of having little girls as assassins baffled me. Like, why does that even happen?

• Like 1

Eureka Seven is one of the weirdest anime I've ever seen. The plot itself was fine at first and I still love the show, but some of that stuff was really really strange. You sort of get it by the end and yet I've always wondered why it wasn't a little more simple. It seemed like they tried to make it more "complicated" and I ended up caring about the characters instead of the plot.

To be fair, when everything takes place in a foreign world and setting, it's getting crazy is kind of a norm in anime. It's not always there, but it's really not shocking when it happens either.

Anyways, to answer the question, the obvious answer is FLCL. You could argue that maybe that's not true because it starts off fairly weird, but then it calms down a bit for an episode or two, and goes right back into the crazy un-ashamedly and never really looks back.

• Like 2

Excel Saga/Puni Puni Poemi

Two sides of the same insanely weird coin.

Not too mention I had to explain to my father, who I was still living with at the time, what they were about lol.

Also the bonus episode on excel saga.... I think it is in extras or just after the final episode...

OMG IT'S BEYOND ABSURD!

Ore No Imouto Ga Konnani Kawaii Wake Ga Nai. It's about a brother (Kyousuke) whose little sister (Kirino) hasn't spoken to him for quite a while and after he accidentally comes across a eroge game, it is revealed to be owned by Kirino, who turns out to be into visual novels with little sister heroines. But that's not the strange part, that comes after she forces him to start playing the games.

After the initial shock it becomes less bizarre (no it doesn't) and I would say this is a good anime for newcomers (no I wouldn't) and you'll become attached to Kirino (if you like tsunderes). Jokes aside, I've just finished watching the first season and I have to say, I would of liked to seen a larger focus on the sibling relationship as well as more progress toward repairing their supposedly broken relationship, but there are some dramatic moments that make me feel it was worth watching, but it wasn't what I was hoping for.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

just lke  the anime man youtuber said    its cause of the otkau culture back in 1999     yet  again people who were balls deep into anime from the 90s  and mid 2000s

might think excel/puni puni/flcl  is funny  and good  its not really for newcomers  they may think not funny or not good   because of the   otkau of today    i will send the link          

• Geano locked this topic