10 Tropes in anime that need to die (ASAP)

RepentantSky

This is the one that jumped out to me!

I love that I'm seeing more variety these days in this department. Its just so heart warming! And its truee , the same hetero plot/ relationship patterns and motifs become boring. you have to really be unique to stand out as a male/female character relationships from the countless fantastic character love stories that exist.

But Yuri!! on Ice was simply amazing, a beautiful , subtle yet so so adorable. Great male/ male love with of- age cast and a very unique story.

I also love when it is realistically portrayed, the questioning about which gender youre attracted to and subsequential love interests and dilemmas are explored. its just so much more relatable

It is nice that we have an exception like Yuri on Ice for those who like it, but it wasn't for me so I can't really say much about it since I dropped it around episode 5.

Number 8 I could have perhaps explained better, but think about it like this, we get tired of Hollywood using the same plot lines time in and time out, and anime has a habit of doing this as well. For example, we get introduced to a main character who has some huge character flaw but that ends up being their strength, so we hear the same lines about their character flaw at the start of the show, and the same ones once it ends up being their strength. Another example would be having the villain say that they plan to destroy the world or an enemy clan who is actually in the right using their own power or an Ex Machina item and they all say it the same way. Reusing lines and only adding in a little bit of dialogue that only works for whatever show is just lazy and tired to me.

Harems that do what you seem to enjoy are few and far between though, to the point where they could easily be handled in other anime without the harem. Unless or until that changes, I see no point in them. I do wish more would be done right, but I wouldn't expect it either.

Number 1 has a bit of history. When anime was first being brought to the West, voice acting for them was not taken very seriously. Lines were delivered poorly and were very cheesy. Meanwhile in Japan, who had been doing voice acting for a long time, was taking VA work as seriously then as they do know, but the problem was the voices sounded all the same. Over time in the west, voice actors like Steven Blum, Wendee Lee and several others were coming along who did take the acting seriously, and through them the quality changed, but Japan banked on the style of voice acting they used to hit nostalgia hard enough that they wouldn't have to change it. Given how so many people prefer subs over dubs, it's easy to say that they won that, but it also caused them to be complacent and never actually move the quality of voice acting forward, even though western voice acting was still improving in many ways. Japan it seems, has been teaching people how to sound the same for over 40 years now, and while occasionally you'll get a different sounding voice like Maka from Soul Eater and Natsu from Fairy Tail, for the most part, it all sounds the same, and I think it's gotten old. I also believe that letting different sounding voices into the genre will have a much more positive effect than leaving them be.

Let me know if I've understood your point by giving a few examples: Naruto rambling about 'not giving up', Sasuke about his revenge and hatred?

Regarding villains, it's hit or miss for me. I liked whenever Pain gave a monologue because he was such a charismatic character, but, Obito's always seemed like rants to me. I know that I'm only giving Naruto as an example, but, this kinda reduces the sample space and makes the discussion clearer.

See, the thing with harem is that I don't really watch a lot of it, so it's not noticeable. Sometimes, here and there, it's a trope in a high school comedy/romance anime I watch. But, I did go through myanimelist, and noticed that there are a lot of harems, and many many high school anime.

I guess the thing with harem is there's always conflict, but, you don't necessarily need to have a definitive ending or a payoff, and you can end the anime without revealing who gets whom.

Now that is something I definitely understand. The overzealous and energetic shounen protagonist, the tsundere, the shy girl, etc., mostly have similar voice acting. In some cases, I really like the voice acting. For instance, Mamoru's performance as Okabe Rintarou in Steins;Gate is truly excellent. But, I do agree to your point. Another example: I'm watching this anime called God Eater, which is kinda similar to Attack on Titan, and if you tone down the voice performance of Eren, the protagonist of AoT, you'll essentially get the voice of God Eater's protagonist, Lenka. Maybe, it hasn't hit me as hard because I've only watched 55-60 anime.

• Geano locked this topic