Made in Abyss - General Discussion

RepentantSky

For anyone watching this anime who wants to talk about it overall, or for anyone who might want to get a general idea of what it's like before watching it, here we have a general discussion thread. Personally, I think it's great so far and should be acknowledged as such. It's a beautiful world to be a part of, even just watching it, and it's not always so serious that you can't have fun with it. That to me, is the perfect kind of anime. So let us know what your impression is thus far ans as it progresses.

GD5.thumb.jpg.3069f3e9f3c18ac8967a61a15a35fd6a.jpg

GD.jpg.26fa96a42868d877820c4862b8605bb0.jpg

GD2.jpg.2726fc1cbd7f01e53f7622922a051001.jpg

GD3.jpg.d327efe98ecda6a8357badfdc1f0b0e1.jpg

GD4.png.fb5869e57365f3eccdb205d1cb4bbd41.png

• 4 weeks later...

[spoiler=EPISODE 2]So this was a pretty emotional episode. Rico's uncle (Habo) comes back from the abyss carrying the white whistle of Rico's mother (Lyza). This essentially means that she might never come back, although she doesn't really seem affected by what this revelation might mean, but that makes it a little more sad, Leader (Jiruo) doesn't make any attempt to comfort her either and just states the facts, so I thought that was a bit cold, but he does encourage her to follow her heart. It's also revealed that they uncovered notes that Lyza left and at the end of the episode, Rico gets to see them.

[spoiler=EPISODE 3]Which I mention because they literally stole all of them between episodes!? :largegasp: I mean how did they...when did they...and no one noticed?? Good game, Rico, good game.

[spoiler=EPISODE 4]So they are now in the abyss. It's a bit disappointing to be honest, I mean they're supposed to be finding food randomly lying on the ground and questioning their motive to eat it, but instead they're actually cooking meals. THIS IS NOTHING LIKE CHOCOBO'S DUNGEON!!

Well, I don't mind that really, but they do get through the first layer pretty quickly, so I question how long they'll make this last. I didn't notice this before now, but Habo and Rico's uncle are one in the same. By the way, Jiruo is probably my favorite character, despite what I said earlier he is actually pretty cool and kind of a bro which is confirmed by this episode.

I did watch episode 5 earlier, but I'll leave it at this for now (famous last words).

• 1 month later...

Honestly my pick for last season, the story was light and entertaining so it draws you in but when it gets to the end and you already have an investment in the characters they hit you with a 10ton truck worth of feels, in addition the music and scenary was amazing. I really hope to see a second season where we can continue following the advetures of these guys.

Edited by Guest

• 4 months later...

I just finished this series, and I just can't. I'm having too many emotions, it was magnificent! It really has a nostalgic fairy tale quality to it, and by fairy tale I mean the dark and gritty ones. I laughed, I cringed, I sobbed. Waiting for the second season will be hard! For those who are interested, it is free to watch on Amazon Prime. 

-Spoilers past this point-

I love the characters so much, Riko, Reg, Nanachi, Leader, Maruruk, etc. I hated Ozen so much when she was fighting Reg, and even after she stopped. But now, I hate Bondrewd oh so much more!
Mitty! I was worried that it would imply that the lives of the disabled/mentally disabled aren't worth living (ableism is common in media), but I was okay with the way it turned out once Reg and Nanachi had the conversation about what her immortality meant, and when they showed with Riko's dream that she had always been scared and sad. I SOBBED SO MUCH!
Episode 10 made me cringe so much! Yikes, that was definitely dark and gritty. But, being disabled myself I love that Riko is now disabled and has quite a scar to go along with it. Yay for disability representation and scars being normalized!

• Agree 1

On 11.8.2017 at 4:47 AM, Mars Terra said:

[spoiler=EPISODE 2]So this was a pretty emotional episode. Rico's uncle (Habo) comes back from the abyss carrying the white whistle of Rico's mother (Lyza). This essentially means that she might never come back, although she doesn't really seem affected by what this revelation might mean, but that makes it a little more sad, Leader (Jiruo) doesn't make any attempt to comfort her either and just states the facts, so I thought that was a bit cold, but he does encourage her to follow her heart. It's also revealed that they uncovered notes that Lyza left and at the end of the episode, Rico gets to see them.

[spoiler=EPISODE 3]Which I mention because they literally stole all of them between episodes!? :largegasp: I mean how did they...when did they...and no one noticed?? Good game, Rico, good game.

[spoiler=EPISODE 4]So they are now in the abyss. It's a bit disappointing to be honest, I mean they're supposed to be finding food randomly lying on the ground and questioning their motive to eat it, but instead they're actually cooking meals. THIS IS NOTHING LIKE CHOCOBO'S DUNGEON!!

Well, I don't mind that really, but they do get through the first layer pretty quickly, so I question how long they'll make this last. I didn't notice this before now, but Habo and Rico's uncle are one in the same. By the way, Jiruo is probably my favorite character, despite what I said earlier he is actually pretty cool and kind of a bro which is confirmed by this episode.

I did watch episode 5 earlier, but I'll leave it at this for now (famous last words).

i watched until episode 6 but  then I lost interest...

its nice anime and it has very interesting story but i guss i need more action .. idk my co-worker loved this show so he recommended.

• Geano locked this topic