Testers wanted for future platform change

Optic

Hello everyone,

We are currently using the XenForo backend for this forum, and though it has served us very well - we are utilising over 54 modules to get the result you see today. Many of these modules were custom developed specifically for our community.

From a technical standpoint, as the XenForo backend is updated with new releases, each of these modules need to be kept up to date to ensure they remain compatible.

A long term issue is that a new major rewrite of the XenForo backend (2.0) is coming up, and is slated for release within a year. I am sure they are going to support the current version (1.x) for many months to come but the problem is our existing custom modules won't be compatible with XenForo 2.

This leaves me with two options:

1. Get the custom modules re-developed again for XenForo 2
  2. Look into migrating to another platform

After careful consideration, I've decided to look into evaluating other platforms - and one of the shortlisted ones I've been looking into is IPS Community Suite.

There are some nifty core features in this platform that could be quite beneficial, including clubs, leaderboards, blogs and a member gallery again. Of course ensuring all your content and profiles are migrated across is of the highest priority.

I'm looking for testers that are willing to provide feedback, test and break things in a private staging area. If you're interested, please drop a line below and I will be in contact with you.

• Like 4

Hi @Wodahs,

As mentioned above the software I've shortlisted is IPS Community, as for the final when, we'll we have at least a year. It depends how quickly I can find similar features to match the custom features we have: Waifu/Husbando, AF Shop and Vocaloid PVs.

Depending on tester feedback we may not even go ahead with this option, hence why I'm looking for testers now that are open to playing and breaking things whilst providing feedback.

• Agree 1

Hi @Wodahs,

As mentioned above the software I've shortlisted is IPS Community, as for the final when, we'll we have at least a year. It depends how quickly I can find similar features to match the custom features we have: Waifu/Husbando, AF Shop and Vocaloid PVs.

Depending on tester feedback we may not even go ahead with this option, hence why I'm looking for testers now that are open to playing and breaking things whilst providing feedback.

sorry @Optic I was meaning for the testing period . How many testers are you going to need , when will you be looking at doing the testing stage and what are you looking for in testers eg need XXX or just any one that can spam a forum (so what are you looking at the testers to do in the testing phase)

Hi @Wodahs,

Everyone is welcome as a tester, more testers = more feedback. ;)

The actual testing is literally just testing every feature on the new system, such as posting threads, customising your profile, creating a club, a blog, a gallery, etc. whilst providing feedback on the look, feel and how well it functions compared to the existing system here as well as providing suggestions if you feel it could be improved.

Testing will start when I get enough expressions of interest in this thread - I'm hoping for at least 5 minimum testers before starting.

• Like 1

I'd be happy to help test! I've built a few boards off that platform, overall I really enjoyed it. Took a bit to customize though, for more modern boards I'd recommend Discourse currently, if you have the skills in-house to modify it to your liking.

The main issue I had with the IPS platform (and Xenforo for that matter) was optimizing them to ensure the quickest page speed possible for the end users, back when I was in IT instead of security I worked as a system administrator and site reliability engineer (SRE) I was obsessed with that. If you need any help from a technical end or AWS resources to test with as well feel free to message me, I'm always happy to help solve technical challenges when I have spare time. :)

• Friendly 1

I'm willing to help, but am rather new to forums. If you think I can be of service let me know. I work Graves so I have all morning to fool around on the net lol

• Friendly 1

Since More Testers=More Feedbacks, I'd Like to get the attention of @AniMeFReaK @Sidney B\. Gone @Drewan @Ki&\#039;Rel @Alex Couch

If ever you guys are free please have a moment to think about it. :) (And I mean a long period of moment. :P )

I too would like to see AniMeFReaK involved with this testing. Clearly there's a passion for anime there and I think someone like that would do wonders for a test like this.

• Like 1

Yes, Wodah-san! :) Optic asked me to :D Let's try our best and pleaseeeeeeeeeeee don't leave me behind. :P

leave you behind ? I was on the verge of suggesting to you that you take part too . seems Optic beat me to it :P

besides apart from a few here that as RepentantSky put it would be good as testers and all it be good to also have some of the mods there too

and I will come any ways even tho I'm neither of the two ^^^^

• Optimistic 1

LOL I've only been on here for a few days, and I'm already being chosen as a tester?? Lol I guess! When does it start and how much am I being paid?

I don't think you get paid....

LOL I've only been on here for a few days, and I'm already being chosen as a tester?? Lol I guess! When does it start and how much am I being paid?

Well, this isn't profitable at all :P

LOL I've only been on here for a few days, and I'm already being chosen as a tester?

Few days or not everyone still got their own opinions which can be very helpful :D

Thank you so much for those that have expressed interest! :angel:

I am putting together a testing package and will contact you all directly with details of the test board when it is ready.

• Like 1

• Optic locked this topic