Kiznaiver - A Kaleidoscopic Stare At Teenage Angst

Nutty

kiznaiver.jpg.8c60a015bd895b8933dc2eb6f555b481.jpg

Bright character colours, contrasting the rather monotone and dull backgrounds of Kiznaiver prominently set up our cast to take center stage. The spotlight is on them - and them alone. But as emotions well up, and pain blurs the lines of their relationships; they find themselves whirling into a never ending vortex of bonds, love, scars and pain… Now doesn’t that sound angsty?

x240-jn4.jpg.99d59d73c21384962f42c953bfc5ebd1.jpg

The excellent use of colour, and how it perfectly invokes characters emotions through visuals was something I was planning to write about when I re-watched Kiznaiver today. And I wasn’t wrong, as I do give full credit to the team that worked on the show for that; as it was one of the more visually stimulating ones that I have seen as of late. However, it really seems like the unavoidable topic to address when mentioning Kiznaiver is its blatant intent at being a philosophy-filled, 12 episode explanation on the fact that relationships won’t work without pain.

Conceptually, this show had no obligation to be as dramatic as it turned out to be.

Yet, the characters were intentionally connected through pain.

Yet, they were intentionally put together as total mismatches.

And yet, they were intentionally put through stress to test their bonds.

So if you think about it, isn’t this set-up something a similar show would have? But instead of having all of it be forced, count it off as just a mere coincidence that these people got together; and a mere coincidence that drama was involved – and at the end of the day, conclude with showing that friendships will last if you persevere?

Kiznaiver knows the kind of picture it wants to paint at the end of the day, and sets up its colours upfront before turning, morphing, and rotating the wheel of teenage drama. Some would prefer for the colours to be left alone – so they could naturally observe which of them would leak into one another; which of them would mix, and which of them won’t. While others may be enthralled by the repetitive and heavy cycle, as they to find their own colours from within the swirling display of fluorescent the show presents as teenage emotions.

When looking at Kiznaiver:

Some choose to look at it as is, and see a cluster of smudges and missed potential.

While others may chose to look at it with its intentions in mind, revealing what seems to be – a kaleidoscopic stare at teenage angst.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My feelings are indeed quite mixed, which explains what I wrote... :P

What did you think of Kiznaiver?

• Geano locked this topic