We need to talk about Kissanime

RepentantSky

For those who don't know, kissanime is a streaming site for anime that has, a background worth looking into. For starters, a lot of people seem to believe that Kiss is taking already pirated content, posting it on their website, and putting ads on it to make money off of stolen content, without paying the creators of said content. Now I have not been able to confirm yet whether or not that is true, but they do have ads on their site. The problem with that is, is that they have now have potentially two other ways to make money, and they are making it seem like it's all just to run the site. The other ways they can make money is through a patreon or from the website's donation option that allows donation through paypal, that links to the patreon or that links to bitcoins. It doesn't help either that they recently sent out a Facebook post that shows then being angry about being reported on patreon and are threatening to disallow free use of their site. Now I've heard some people say on this site that they use Kissanime, so I'm wondering if you can help me verify these claims or denounce them.

I understand this is a topic of controversy and what may come of that is not normal content compared to what tends to come from this site, but it effects us all because if they're stealing, it's from an industry that's already in financial trouble and if they aren't, then there's a bunch of people attacking them needlessly. Either way, this is a part of our entertainment medium that needs to be addressed.

Edited by Guest

I have heard of them, but do not know too much of what is going on, since I mainly use their manga site.

Most of my anime viewing is via legal streaming sites.

As for my take on the matter, I cannot neither verify nor dispute the suspicions, but I am glad that they were reported, simply because it ruins whatever good reputation Patreon has.

Hopefully, somebody can shed some light, though I do not think we have anyone here that knows what is going on.

I have heard of them, but do not know too much of what is going on, since I mainly use their manga site.

Most of my anime viewing is via legal streaming sites.

As for my take on the matter, I cannot neither verify nor dispute the suspicions, but I am glad that they were reported, simply because it ruins whatever good reputation Patreon has.

Hopefully, somebody can shed some light, though I do not think we have anyone here that knows what is going on.

What I'm more or less looking for is people who have been on the site for a decent amount of time that can speak for the character of the one who runs it and the social media sites. The people who are attacking them are so angry that I couldn't get get a straight answer out of any of them from twitter, and I doubt there'd be much difference with those defending them because they seem even angrier. People from where I'm getting this info from are too busy being angry with one another to deal with someone like me who stands in the middle and is just trying to figure what's going on, because you know, how dare I not take a side from the get go. I'm hoping people here who seem to be much more thoughtful and willing to listen to different opinions will help those of us out of the loop understand what's going on to the best of their ability. I trust here to be a great place for that sort of thing.

What I'm more or less looking for is people who have been on the site for a decent amount of time that can speak for the character of the one who runs it and the social media sites. The people who are attacking them are so angry that I couldn't get get a straight answer out of any of them from twitter, and I doubt there'd be much difference with those defending them because they seem even angrier. People from where I'm getting this info from are too busy being angry with one another to deal with someone like me who stands in the middle and is just trying to figure what's going on, because you know, how dare I not take a side from the get go. I'm hoping people here who seem to be much more thoughtful and willing to listen to different opinions will help those of us out of the loop understand what's going on to the best of their ability. I trust here to be a great place for that sort of thing.

I see. That does make sense. People can act however they want though, since how we present ourselves is not always our authentic selves, so determining the character of the site owner would be difficult.

Still, all we can do is just give a guess as to what is going on and whatever else you want to know.

Update: It looks like I found something about the Patreon thing from their official page on reddit. If you want to check it out, you can view it out there (link keeps turning into image over here)

Edited by Guest

I used to use Kissanime before and I have been a part of their community for a considerable time as well way before I joined here. The things about the adds were true but about the gaining money I'm not sure about. Although I've heard from my online friends from there that Kissasian a branch of Kissanime was reported as well and was planned to be shut down/ now shut down due to the illegal showing of pirated Asian Movies and Shows without the consent of the producers of the show. (Ive heard this on our national news as well since I am in an asian country)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I'm using KissAnime to watch the nime "My Little Monster" right now. So ironic.

I've heard of it, but IDK if it's true. But I didn't know that they gained money?:largegasp::largegasp: *immediately shuts off tab* Thank goodness you told me about that! I hate plagiarism even though I don't know what it is!!:angry::angry:

I'm using KissAnime to watch the nime "My Little Monster" right now. So ironic.

I've heard of it, but IDK if it's true. But I didn't know that they gained money?:largegasp::largegasp: *immediately shuts off tab* Thank goodness you told me about that! I hate plagiarism even though I don't know what it is!!:angry::angry:

Well I can't say for sure if the claims against Kissanime are legit, but it's good to stay away from them for now just in case.

Edited by Guest

Okay so looking into it a bit more, which I just took a break from to answer that last post, because I wasn't sure how close I was to getting an answer, what I've come up with, is that they are ultimately illegal, and here's why. Kissanime does not in any regard use their own host to post episodes of anime. Instead they use host sites like Google and OpenLoad which are legal hosts, however, they have broken the rules in regards to those hosts by posting ads on the videos and not paying anyone from the revenue they make on the ads. I still can't be sure if the Patreon, Paypal or bitcoin donations violate the law, but outsourcing from other hosts and violating their rules while not technically illegal makes them at best morally gray. However I would lean more towards them being illegal because they are basically using a legal loophole in the law that says only the host can be condemned for piracy and they might be using legit hosts to gain money, and if any of that does not go to the website, which I also need to look into still, then anything despite what the law says is still taken advantage of a loophole, no better than when someone uses a tax loophole. In other words if anyone from Kissanime is making money off of the site, it's basically dirty money because they aren't paying anyone from whom they get their hosts, or any of the creators.

I did use KissAnime quite a bit for some time, and here are my thoughts:

As you mentioned, they don't have their own hosts and they use hosts like OpenLoad, Google. I went through Reddit quite a bit, and people seem to prefer BetaServer.

Regarding Patreon, it seems like the kiss sites don't own it. I'm pretty sure about this.

When I was using, there wasn't any ads. But, yeah, there's a lot of ads now.

The problem arises when anime are unlicensed, you know. Higurashi season 1's license expired for quite sometime, and season 2 was never licensed, so, I had to rely on fan-subs. A couple of years ago, it was picked up by Sentai Filmworks.

The thing that matters is that, directly or indirectly, they are hosting licensed content without the consent of the ones who own the license and other concerned people, for free, without paying any sort of fee. So, in my opinion, this does qualify as illegal.

Edited by Guest

I did use KissAnime quite a bit for some time, and here are my thoughts:

As you mentioned, they don't have their own hosts and they use hosts like OpenLoad, Google. I went through Reddit quite a bit, and people seem to prefer BetaServer.

Regarding Patreon, it seems like the kiss sites don't own it. I'm pretty sure about this.

When I was using, there wasn't any ads. But, yeah, there's a lot of ads now.

The problem arises when anime are unlicensed, you know. Higurashi season 1's license expired for quite sometime, and season 2 was never licensed, so, I had to rely on fan-subs. A couple of years ago, it was picked up by Sentai Filmworks.

The thing that matters is that, directly or indirectly, they are hosting licensed content without the consent of the ones who own the license and other concerned people, for free, without paying any sort of fee. So, in my opinion, this does qualify as illegal.

Unfortunately the Patreon is without a doubt their's. The Official Facebook page for them all but confirms that they have one: https://www.facebook.com/kissanime.ru/

They even pinned the post about it.

Unfortunately the Patreon is without a doubt their's. The Official Facebook page for them all but confirms that they have one: https://www.facebook.com/kissanime.ru/

They even pinned the post about it.

Well, I checked kissanime's website itself, and it says the opposite. Anyway, I'm not gonna donate, so I don't care, but, I hope other people don't.

They have to realise that a single website can't have an unusually large library of anime like this.

• Agree 1

They've been trying to shut kussanime down for almost as long as it's been around. The problem that they have is that what kissanime does is operate in a legal grey area just as Repentant Sky has mentioned. I've been an on and off user of KA for about as long as they've been around. I try to stay away from them now because I personally researched them a while back and found that all of their stuff is pirated and they are making money off of it. I have never donated to them and never will. They were better before they started using ads since the start of the ads their material has gotten shoddy and they are constantly under attack because of DMCA infringements. They have not yet been found guilty, however they have purged and refilled their library at least four times that I can remember. I will now only use the site if I can not find a specific anime anywhere else. The truth is whether they admit it or no,t and whether you want to call it a grey area or not if, they have acted too guilty to be innocent. There is no reason to run from the law if you have nothing to hide.

There is no reason to run from the law if you have nothing to hide

While this is certainly true, the guilty are not the only ones that run, and the law enforcement agencies know that. There are many reasons people do anything and labeling them as guilty just because they do something suspicious means you have fallen for a red herring.

I am not trying to defend these people, as what they do is not right and what you detail does seem fishy, but you are forgetting that we humans are irrational, so we do not always do the most rational thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Geano locked this topic