Anyone here knows of a good anime live action adaptation?

TheHenriGame

I liked the Death Note movie tho! I mean, I think it was intentionally campy and ridiculous. If I'm not mistaken even the creators of the original manga said they liked it. It was so freaking hilarious, man.

Well, they are free to like it. Plus, you view it as a guilty pleasure, don't you? It's just, DN is my favourite anime of all time, and to see it being reduced to a caricature and a joke, was something that made me really angry. And, they absolutely destroyed the character of Light Yagami in the movie, my favourite character in the series.

Well, they are free to like it. Plus, you view it as a guilty pleasure, don't you? It's just, DN is my favourite anime of all time, and to see it being reduced to a caricature and a joke, was something that made me really angry. And, they absolutely destroyed the character of Light Yagami in the movie, my favourite character in the series.

I wouldn't say it's guilty pleasure tho. The way the movie was constructed just seems way too much like an intentional comedy. The movie is merely based on the original work. They didn't destroy any characters, they only created new ones based on old characters. If you approach it as anything but a comedy the movie is pretty fucking bad tho. The cinematography is incredibly good, but the writing is really "meh". The acting was the best part of the movie as it felt incredibly cheesy. This feels like is intentionally a B movie and as an adaption of the original it does a decent job. Shame they didn't recapture anything but the campiness from the original (which, let's admit here, it was pretty campy at times).

I wouldn't say it's guilty pleasure tho. The way the movie was constructed just seems way too much like an intentional comedy. The movie is merely based on the original work. They didn't destroy any characters, they only created new ones based on old characters. If you approach it as anything but a comedy the movie is pretty f****** bad tho. The cinematography is incredibly good, but the writing is really "meh". The acting was the best part of the movie as it felt incredibly cheesy. This feels like is intentionally a B movie and as an adaption of the original it does a decent job. Shame they didn't recapture anything but the campiness from the original (which, let's admit here, it was pretty campy at times).

I personally don't believe in the term "guilty pleasure" because it makes the assumption that we should feel bad about what we enjoy and that's just odd to say the least. With that in mind, can we keep even the censored profanity away from this forum please. There's absolutely no reason for it.

FYI Death Note is really bad.

If you've heard of the manga 'All you Need is Kill', it had an adaptation called 'Edge of Tomorrow'. It is THE best adaptation there exists right now. It's truly excellent, not just 'fine' or 'average'.

Even if it uses elements of a manga, calling Edge of Tomorrow an anime adaptation is mislabeling it because the concept itself as the film uses it is actually closer to groundhog day, and it's clearly not interested in any association with Japanese media. Also giving an FYI for an opinion, even a popular one, is a bit stuck up sounding in my opinion, and treating an opinion like fact is just a little self indulgent.

As for anime adaptations, the actual point of this thread, the only one I can recommend that makes even a little bit of sense, is probably the Ruroni Kenshin films. I didn't personally enjoy them, but I know a lot of people did, and difference of opinion is kind of the point of a thread like this, so long as we don't throw our opinions around like they are fact.

• Like 1

I personally don't believe in the term "guilty pleasure" because it makes the assumption that we should feel bad about what we enjoy and that's just odd to say the least. With that in mind, can we keep even the censored profanity away from this forum please. There's absolutely no reason for it.

Even if it uses elements of a manga, calling Edge of Tomorrow an anime adaptation is mislabeling it because the concept itself as the film uses it is actually closer to groundhog day, and it's clearly not interested in any association with Japanese media. Also giving an FYI for an opinion, even a popular one, is a bit stuck up sounding in my opinion, and treating an opinion like fact is just a little self indulgent.

As for anime adaptations, the actual point of this thread, the only one I can recommend that makes even a little bit of sense, is probably the Ruroni Kenshin films. I didn't personally enjoy them, but I know a lot of people did, and difference of opinion is kind of the point of a thread like this, so long as we don't throw our opinions around like they are fact.

Whether it took inspirations from other movies or not(the only similarity with Groundhog day is that the day repeats over and over again and it's a concept that's also present in the manga), the screenplay was officially stated by the team to be an adaptation from the manga. Plus, both of them have the same alien invasion element, and pretty much the same characters and character names. So, it's at worst a 'loose' adaptation.

And, you know, attacking someone's grammar is really entitled. Not everyone has English as their first language(it's not mine). I guess the correct usage is IMO.

Edited by Guest

I wouldn't say it's guilty pleasure tho. The way the movie was constructed just seems way too much like an intentional comedy. The movie is merely based on the original work. They didn't destroy any characters, they only created new ones based on old characters. If you approach it as anything but a comedy the movie is pretty f****** bad tho. The cinematography is incredibly good, but the writing is really "meh". The acting was the best part of the movie as it felt incredibly cheesy. This feels like is intentionally a B movie and as an adaption of the original it does a decent job. Shame they didn't recapture anything but the campiness from the original (which, let's admit here, it was pretty campy at times).

I see. For me it fit under two categories: guilty pleasure and so bad that it's good. And, I wouldn't exactly call it 'campy'. I personally prefer 'over the top'. Without the swift direction, camera angles and editing, the anime would have been boring. And, I couldn't view it as unintentional comedy because it's 2017. If it had been 1997, I would have been okay with watching Batman and Robin and being entertained for all the wrong reasons(of course, I wasn't even born then). But, I can't excuse them today.

• Like 1

Whether it took inspirations from other movies or not(the only similarity with Groundhog day is that the day repeats over and over again and it's a concept that's also present in the manga), the screenplay was officially stated by the team to be an adaptation from the manga. Plus, both of them have the same alien invasion element, and pretty much the same characters and character names. So, it's at worst a 'loose' adaptation.

And, you know, attacking someone's grammar is really entitled. Not everyone has English as their first language(it's not mine). I guess the correct usage is IMO.

At what point did I say anything about grammar? FYI means "For Your Information" which is used to either state an opinion rudely, or to state something that is fact. You obviously know English well enough to know how to use it on a forum, so you should know to check meanings of certain phrases before you start using them if you aren't certain how to use them or what context they carry. Even if you think you know, it never hurts to look to make sure. Even those who speak English as a first language do that. The statement of "it's not my first language" is a hard sell for me because of that, caution should always be used when a second or third, or whatever number a language is for a person just in case. It also doesn't help that I had no way of knowing English wasn't your first language so that defense comes off as too little too late because I already said what I said.

At what point did I say anything about grammar? FYI means "For Your Information" which is used to either state an opinion rudely, or to state something that is fact. You obviously know English well enough to know how to use it on a forum, so you should know to check meanings of certain phrases before you start using them if you aren't certain how to use them or what context they carry. Even if you think you know, it never hurts to look to make sure. Even those who speak English as a first language do that. The statement of "it's not my first language" is a hard sell for me because of that, caution should always be used when a second or third, or whatever number a language is for a person just in case. It also doesn't help that I had no way of knowing English wasn't your first language so that defense comes off as too little too late because I already said what I said.

Again, I don't know why you are ranting about something irrelevant. Not everyone is careful enough to search whether whatever they use is correct or not. Nor do they have the patience. Now, because it's not my first language, it gives me the prerogative to not search about it, not the opposite. And, I already told corrected myself in my previous reply, so, I don't know what your problem is.

Moreover, if I had said 'FYI Death Note was bad' to someone who liked it, from what you are saying, it may have been rude. But, it was a reply to someone who merely asked a question, and the live-action adaptation was the most recent example. It was a simple mistake and you are blowing it out of proportions.

• Geano locked this topic