Have some questions about seasonal anime

anime4eva

Sorry, these are probably dumb questions.

So, for starters seasonal anime seems popular nowadays...so I ask is seasonal anime a new thing?

How do you tend to find out about seasonal anime?

Are seasonal anime, only for that season? As in do they usually only last one season or is it an anime that appears every year but just during that season?

Where do you watch?

Are dubs available? And if so how soon?

Thanks in advance!!!

• Like 1

I think seasonal anime has definitely become way more popular than years ago - I'm not sure why that happened, but I'm not mad about it - I love seasonal anime ^^

I find out about seasonal anime because I have to do research for my blog posts, so I'm basically forced xD But it's nice, because I might find really awesome anime!

I usually watch them on proxer.me or I just Google the newest episode of the anime xD

I don't know if dubs are available during the season, it usually takes a while until they've dubbed an anime

Hope this helped! :)

In my opinion, the way anime is meant to be watched, is one episode every week. Anime is something niche, and word of mouth can spread only if it runs for a significant period of time, in this case, 13 weeks.

Seasonal anime have become popular because fo the rise of internet, reddit and forums. Since no one has seen the up-coming episode(like duh!), it provokes discussions and fan-theories, that leads to the anime becoming popular. That's how Attack on Titan became popular. Yes, the source material was already popular, but the anime took it to new heights. I think that 2006, 2007 brought a radical change to this sort of thing. You can look up the anime that aired during those two years(Death Note, Code Geass, Guren Lagann, Haruhi, etc.,).

An anime usually runs for one cour(12-13 weeks) or two cours(24-26 weeks). You are confusing seasonal anime with second season or third season of an anime. Seasonal anime run for 12-13 weeks, from January to March(Winter), April to June(Spring), July to September(Summer) and October to December(Fall).

As I already mentioned, they may last one season(13 weeks) or two seasons (26 weeks).

To give you an example, Code Geass season 1 began in Fall 2006, and ended in Winter 2007. Code Geass Season 2 began in Spring 2008 and ended in Summer 2008. So, the second season doesn't air in the exam same season(i.e., Summer, Spring, Fall, Winter). They release it when it's ready, and also it includes a slew of marketing stuff.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

Because of the popularization of streaming sites such as Crunchyroll, it has never been easier to follow seasonal anime if you are an international fan. Of course that streaming sites have been a thing for a long time, but now they are strengthened by these legal services. Back in the day there was no way to make sure a certain anime would ever arrive in the west. Now you can just go on Crunchyroll and watch an HD episode of an anime one hour after it airs in Japan. This is freaking nuts! The international anime community is growing now because of it and watching seasonal anime is becoming more of a thing.

Sorry, these are probably dumb questions.

So, for starters seasonal anime seems popular nowadays...so I ask is seasonal anime a new thing?

How do you tend to find out about seasonal anime?

Are seasonal anime, only for that season? As in do they usually only last one season or is it an anime that appears every year but just during that season?

Where do you watch?

Are dubs available? And if so how soon?

Thanks in advance!!!

Ah, hmm, okay. The answer to most of these questions vary, but you are smart to ask them, it's always good to have information regarding things you aren't quite sure about. Seasonal anime isn't really new, there have been anime that run for only a season or two at best for many years now, in fact I think they've been around as long as I've been watching anime at least.

The best way to find seasonal anime is look at sites like MyAnimeList.com which will have them all listed along with a synopsis for the story, but there are also plenty of YouTube channels that will talk about them if you prefer. For that just look up whatever season and whatever year you're interested in, and there will several videos talking about what the most interesting upcoming anime are, or even ones people presume will be bad, and you can look and see which ones might interest you.

Seasonal anime are not always one season, but they often are, and even if they aren't and there's a second season planned, they usually have the two, three, or however many seasons continue until the show is over. In some cases like Attack On Titan, several years may go by before another season is made, or in the case of season 2 to season 3, at least a year. It all depends, and the only way to know is to look up information about how the series you watch will play out as the information becomes available.

I tend to watch on Crunchyroll these days. As far as I can tell, they are the most legitimate source for anime out there, and they are forward about their business model, and to top it off, they tend to get new episodes of an ongoing anime out there within an hour of it airing in Japan.

Dubs are also kind of hard to get a feel for. In some rare cases, the dub is right behind the subbed version, but then there are cases like Naruto and Dragon Ball Super where it takes well over a year to catch up unless they air episodes in massive succession as often as possible, which rarely happens, if ever. As it is with the last bit I said about seasonal anime, the best you can do is look up news and see what dubs are coming at what time as that information becomes available.

Hope all this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

• Like 1

Seasonal anime is pretty much anime that airing this season. People tend to enjoy it, as you can discuss the anime and what not. You can also create fan theorys which are a lot of fun!

Not to sound desperate..

But i'm creating a Light novel, please check it out and give me some feed back.

Also, please give me feed back on my illustrating skills, according to my friend there pretty average when comparing them to professional manga illustrators.

upload_2017-9-28_21-13-20.png.1ce25978b68d7b45736c1c1e264d8d5e.png

[https://thedivineselectionnovel.wordpress.com/}

The above is the link, please check it out.

• 2 weeks later...
Ah, hmm, okay. The answer to most of these questions vary, but you are smart to ask them, it's always good to have information regarding things you aren't quite sure about. Seasonal anime isn't really new, there have been anime that run for only a season or two at best for many years now, in fact I think they've been around as long as I've been watching anime at least.

The best way to find seasonal anime is look at sites like MyAnimeList.com which will have them all listed along with a synopsis for the story, but there are also plenty of YouTube channels that will talk about them if you prefer. For that just look up whatever season and whatever year you're interested in, and there will several videos talking about what the most interesting upcoming anime are, or even ones people presume will be bad, and you can look and see which ones might interest you.

Seasonal anime are not always one season, but they often are, and even if they aren't and there's a second season planned, they usually have the two, three, or however many seasons continue until the show is over. In some cases like Attack On Titan, several years may go by before another season is made, or in the case of season 2 to season 3, at least a year. It all depends, and the only way to know is to look up information about how the series you watch will play out as the information becomes available.

I tend to watch on Crunchyroll these days. As far as I can tell, they are the most legitimate source for anime out there, and they are forward about their business model, and to top it off, they tend to get new episodes of an ongoing anime out there within an hour of it airing in Japan.

Dubs are also kind of hard to get a feel for. In some rare cases, the dub is right behind the subbed version, but then there are cases like Naruto and Dragon Ball Super where it takes well over a year to catch up unless they air episodes in massive succession as often as possible, which rarely happens, if ever. As it is with the last bit I said about seasonal anime, the best you can do is look up news and see what dubs are coming at what time as that information becomes available.

Hope all this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Sorry I was busy for the past few days, but thank you all for such informative answers!!! Now that I actually know what it is, I will surely be watching some seasonal anime. I'm a big dub fan, so I may stray away from Crunchyroll, but I love that there is a legit service for ppl who prefer subs. Thats great!

• Geano locked this topic