Current status of migration / changeover

Optic

Hi everyone,

First of all my apologies for the delay.

What was meant to take 3 days of downtime turned out to be over a week of downtime.

The migration of forum content had actually gone well, however there were some unexpected technical issues that arose when enabling certain features (specifically relating to redirects and the SSL image proxy) that required liaising with the developers of this platform. Thankfully those issues have now been resolved.

I am finishing off the final stages:

• Member profile covers
  • Member profile backgrounds
  • Anime pages
  • Anime community reviews

I expect to finish these in the coming days and hopefully by the weekend we can start on some content of the new anime season.

In the meantime please feel free to familiarise yourself with the new platform and features. Any issues feel free to post them in the usual Feedback area.

I will be doing some new guides on how to use this platform in the coming days as of course the interface is radically different from our previous platform.

Thanks for your patience!

• Like 2
  • Informative 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

It's alright that it took some time to get it all set up. I figured it would take maybe longer since that's how some websites and forums go. I really like the new look and feel to it, even though the old one was really good as well I thought. You did a wonderful job, Optic! :)  I'll let you know if there any issues with stuff on the forum. 

• Friendly 2

Understandable.

I actually expected the process to last longer than 72 hours that were estimated myself and I was right, it seems. However I have to say I love the overall appearance after the downtime! Looking forward to the last of these bugs getting fixed (though I haven't seen any yet). ^^;

On 10/24/2017 at 5:41 PM, Wedgy said:

@GreenEyes Quoting from the beta conversation:

I take this as meaning that it wasn't something that could be implemented with the new platform, but may eventually be worked back into the forums in one form or another once the more immediate issues are hammered out.

Sorry I don't pay attention to detail well so I missed that.

the things I will say I'm missing from the old forums is the ability to expand the profile posts further past whats displayed on main page

ie both visiting the profile post with out going to ones profile page as well as seeing any more profile posts that were posted prier than the ones on the main page

and when you reopen a thread you've visited before and it reopens at the threads start which may become annoying the bigger threads get

• Agree 1

I have to say I have found one thing to be bit annoying, and that's how long it can take at times for a post to actually go through after you hit submit reply. I've actually had to sit there near a full minute a few times. This wouldn't be much of a problem, but considering the other one never had this issue, it does come off as an annoyance. 

Thanks for your kind comments and feedback everyone. And again thank you for your patience and support.

Profile Covers have now been manually re-added, if you already uploaded a new profile cover image before I got to your profile then I have left it alone.

I am now currently manually re-adding the Anime Landing Pages and Community Reviews that were posted.

22 hours ago, Wodahs said:

the things I will say I'm missing from the old forums is the ability to expand the profile posts further past whats displayed on main page

This platform uses less overlays, so it will just take a little while to get used to. So yes indeed for status updates you will be shown the full status updates directly on the member's profile page.

22 hours ago, Wodahs said:

and when you reopen a thread you've visited before and it reopens at the threads start which may become annoying the bigger threads get

Yes the behaviour is different on this platform, and I will be writing about this in the new Getting Started guides.

If you have previously viewed a topic and there have been new replies since then, a blue dot should appear next to the title. You can then click on it to take you to the last unread post. You can also click on the timestamp below the last member that replied which will always take you to the last post in the topic.

forum-list.thumb.png.45c31a4a3994dc78863feac90fa7d89b.png

56 minutes ago, RepentantSky said:

I have to say I have found one thing to be bit annoying, and that's how long it can take at times for a post to actually go through after you hit submit reply. I've actually had to sit there near a full minute a few times.

This should be a temporary issue, I have been bulk adding a lot of content and running rebuilds in the background (particularly the anime screenshot galleries) that might be adding a fair amount of load.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I have taken measures to add caching to improve performance but do let me know if you continue to experience this.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

10 minutes ago, SleepyLeoulf said:

I was just curious before the forum changed there was a area that you can put a user title under your name instead of like member of the forum. Is that coming back at all? If not it's alright just thought it be cool to still have that.

you mean like mine now says "sleeping it off" and other stuff @SleepyLeoulf ??

On 30/10/2017 at 11:20 AM, Wedgy said:

I have, however oddly I've noticed that when the post is being stuck submitting/loaded in, I can reopen the same page in a new tab and the post is actually there already.

@RepentantSky @Wedgy I am still investigating this with the developers. When this happened, can you remember if the topic/thread was quite large? e.g. more than 1 page and/or many members have posted in it? It looks like on this platform it tries to send out the emails immediately and maybe there is a delay when it is trying to send out the notification emails to ALL members watching/following a thread.

This would make sense from Wedgy's experience as the post sounds like it goes through quickly but it doesn't refresh the page until after it sends the notification emails in the background..

I think in most cases the threads where it took the longest for a post to actually go through, was all longer than a page or more, but at certain times it wasn't a problem at all, like in the "What Would you Do if the User Above You had a crush on you" thread. To me it seems to happen a bit randomly.

@Optic Hey I ask this question before and some people helped me with it but I found out that where you can change your user title below your username can't be done if you have not had it in the first place on the other forum set up. I was curious if you could fix it so anyone can change it. Wodahs showed me screen shots helping me find where I could change it however on my profile set up page its not there for the box to change it. Just wanted to let you know.

Hi @SleepyLeoulf I have just checked the behaviour of this feature on the new platform and it was set to 500 content items as a requirement before you could change your member title.

I have reduced it to 100 so you should be able to change it now on your Edit Profile overlay.

I will make this more clear in the upcoming Forum Guidelines rewrite.

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...