What's your first game you ever played?

SleepyLeoulf

1 hour ago, efaardvark said:

My first game was .. Pong!  Seriously.  It was on some dedicated console that I think we got from Sears or something way (way, way, way) back in the 70s.  (Hmmm. should I be admitting that? O.o)  We're talking ancient technology here.. I think they'd just invented electrons the year or so before.  (jk)  I don't really know how to rate it.  It was extremely fun, but it was also unique.  There was nothing to compare it to.  At the time the other entertainment options were basically 1) watch one of the 3 network TV stations, 2) read a book, 3) go outside and play, 4) play a board game like Monopoly or scrabble, or 5) play a game of cards.  For me, my favorite activity has always been reading.  Pong was a close second back then, though by today's standards it wasn't that exciting.

Several years later my dad bought an Apple ][ and my brothers and I typed in a bunch of text games (in BASIC) from magazines like Byte.  There really wasn't anything like a game market back then.  You either learned to program and wrote your own (I did), you knew someone who could program and got them to do it for you (I wasn't that lucky), or you typed them in from books or hobby magazines.  I remember games like Star Trek, and  Colossal Cave Adventure (and being eaten by a grue).  There was even a text version of Oregon Trail.  xD   Couldn't for the life of me tell you which one was first.  To tell you the truth, I was more interested in the programming.  It's certainly what got me started down that path.

A little later, maybe a year or two, Space Invaders hit the arcades.  That was what really got me into gaming on computers, and in a lot of ways that was my first computer game.  Certainly it was my first computer game as we play them today on consoles or PCs.  Rate it 9/10 at the time, though maybe 6/10 of all the games I've ever played.  Space Invaders, Space Wars, Lunar Lander, Asteroids, Galaxian, Defender..  My friends and I dropped sooo many quarters on those games down at the arcade!

I think the first "real" commercial computer game I played on my home computer was something called Akalabeth on the Apple ][.  It was a (very) primitive 3d dungeon exploration game written by Richard Garriot, a.k.a. Lord British, and a precursor to the Ultima series on various platforms.  I'd give it a 4/10.  It kinda sucked.  Wire-frame 3d, slow, low-res.  Home computers were not good for games back then.

I didn't play my first actual home console game until I was in high school.  My friend got an Atari 2600 a couple years after it came out & we played one of the bundled games to death.  I think it was called simply Combat.  Tons of fun though.  Almost as good as the arcades.  6/10.

I didn't get my very own gaming computer until Nintendo's (original, B&W) Game Boy handheld came out.  Of course the first game I played on that was Tetris.  Can you say "obsession"?   xD  I carried that game everywhere for years.  I even have a version of it for my old 3DS that I still play from time to time.

Wow, such history. You know, I notice that with some people, if you say "Gameboy", they automatically think Pokemon. For me, Gameboy is synonymous with Tetris and I will always associate the Gameboy with Tetris.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, ssjup81 said:

You know, I notice that with some people, if you say "Gameboy", they automatically think Pokemon.

For some reason I never got into the pokemon phenom, either in anime or gaming.  I've owned a lot of games on the GB and DS (and variants) over the years - Tetris, metroid, final fantasy, harvest moon (farmville before farmville), the settlers, boulder dash, quite a few pinball .. but I just never got around to pokemon for some reason.  Even the latest pokemon go craze didn't/doesn't tempt me.  No hate or anything, just.. not interested.

• 1 month later...
On 10/25/2017 at 8:10 AM, SleepyLeoulf said:

I was curious on what were peoples first games they ever played in there lives.

What was the first game you ever played?

How would you rate it out of 10?

What system was it on?

My first game is Spyro 2 : Ripto's Rage on the PlayStation. I also give it over all a 8 out of 10. The game over all was given to me by my father for Christmas my first video game ever in my life. I enjoyed all my times playing that game and thought it was so awesome and also cute too. Wish I could still play it.

Castlevania sotn !!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2017 at 9:10 PM, SleepyLeoulf said:

I was curious on what were peoples first games they ever played in there lives.

What was the first game you ever played?

How would you rate it out of 10?

What system was it on?

I'm pretty sure the first game I ever played was either Duck Hunt or Super Mario Bros on the NES. Both were still fairly new at the time.

Not sure how I'd rank them. I had a lot of fun playing them, but looking back...I can't bring myself to play it (SMB) anymore. Not the NES version anyway...maybe the SNES version since you could save your game.  Maybe I'd rank both at a 6 or 7?

Edit: I forgot I already answered this, but I can't delete. ^^;

Edited by ssjup81
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Lion King on the Sega Genesis. I remember my older brother telling me not to unpause the game while he went to the bathroom but being the annoying sibling that I was I grabbed the controller off his chair and began playing it. Thus, began my love for video games.

• 3 weeks later...

My father was a gamer when he was a university student so the first game I ever got to play was Cyraid on the original GameBoy. Obviously, it cannot compare to games that come after it on newer platforms, but from the experience that my brother and I had playing it and considering the time frame, I would rate it 7/10. I am partial to strategy games, but this was fun to pass the time :)